Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

Planning Appeals

It’s not like Boot has any animals he has to house. What was the shed for? His plane or one of his very nice cars? 

2 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Yes asking a civil servant to do their job and assist you costs £175. Got to keep those pensions paid. 

Or the £175 could be to deter the nimby’s.

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

I don't think that Dandara are the developers for the Crosby site

Correct they are not - but all the objectors to the new build houses in Crosby live in Dandara new build houses in Crosby......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Too many people objecting so they have to narrow it down as they’re having to work a bit harder if more people put in objections. It’s wrong I think as 20 meters isn’t that far. You could live in the same street as a developmentment and still not be an intersted party. 

It  is not a new decision I know of a case many years ago  when the only people allowed to object were those who shared a boundary with the applicants land, folk who lived in the same street were prevented from being heard at the appeal .

Just saying:flowers:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kopek said:

20 meters is certainly too close...

Especially since meters can vary by so much...

220px-Transparent_Electricity_Meter_found_in_Israel.JPG.jpeg

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, PmJ said:

Or the £175 could be to deter the nimby’s.

It’s certainly legit to seek to filter out headbangers and the perpetual objectors. An idiot cousin of mine (in UK) once objected to a neighbour’s planning application to extend their property because the previous year the neighbour had bought a boat and my cousin’s objection was that the neighbour was guilty of “excessive spending”. I kid you not. Whether such idiocy rears its head here I couldn’t say, but there will no doubt be neighbourhood disputes/rivalry where planning objections are raised for reasons of spite.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Rob Callister said:

Yes, I tabled the question the other day 

Maybe @Rob Callister  you could also ask why the Crosby development is necessary given that immigration is at a three year low and is not backfilling for the more than 50% of students who do not return after attending Uni across !  House prices have fallen yet the number of house sales has also fallen, and the number of people employed has stagnated, all indicating reduced demand.

In this context the Minister for DEFA's assertion that objectors are hindering economic development simply doesn't hold water - if DEFA permit the building of new greenfield housing they will simply increase the surplus housing stock and further depress property prices. The CoMin quarterly stats demonstrate that the Minister's justification of economic necessity is based on flawed / false logic.

I guess it could be argued that it helps keep construction workers employed, but the flip side of that is that many retired folk rely on realising the value of their home and downsizing in order to free up capital to help fund their retirement - so allowing or encouraging deflation in the housing sector simply puts more stress on to the state pension & welfare funds. The benefits of enabling substantial new developments such as at Crosby, Ballasalla & C'town are not obvious. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Whilst developers have played a major part in island life, as times change and growth slows, government need to be careful that the developers input does not become toxic ! The building sector was largely supported by government prior to the VAT renegotiation, and at one time it was difficult to find any company not on the Government payroll !

Times have changed but the developers have not as they gobble up sites and sit on them waiting presumably for the good times to come back !

The planners have got to face facts, that until there is a proven demand, which there is not at the moment, and indeed a demand that cannot be satisfied by saleable properties already on the market, then the greener the island stays the better !!

There are brand new properties in Ballasalla and at Santon standing empty no doubt others throughout the island !

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, piebaps said:

No that's not correct. @ Sept 2018 there were 51836 which is an all time high

https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/departments/cabinet-office/open-data/

Stop making things up

From the Gov't own Quarterly Employment Statistics

June 2018:  Persons Employed 35,306, Self-Employed: 7,892

Sept: 2018: Persons Employed 35,166, Self-Employed: 7,796

They may be doing more jobs between them, and indeed as you claim the Number of Jobs Undertaken has risen from 51,591 to 51,836

The reality of our economy is that a smaller working population is doing more jobs, presumably therefore more people are depending on a portfolio of part-time jobs, which is not a healthy indicator.

The rate of change is not rapid, so my statement that "the number of people employed has stagnated" is not only valid, but I kindly did not point out that actually the number has fallen slightly. The number of Persons Employed actually peaked in Dec 2010 at 37,251 according to the Gov't quarterly statistics document, but as that is the earliest data given it may have been higher before then.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Whatnonsence said:

Lesson were learned by Government following the Mount Murray enquiry. 

Those lessons are to suppress all objections and any hope of accountability.

I am sure the world will be beating a hurried march to our door step to learn how a Shop Window Democracy works.

The Isle of Man where you can.

What was the eventual outcome of the "Mount Murray Enquiry", was anyone ever held accountable ?

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Take take take. 

I had no idea it cost £175 to object to planning, that's fucking mental.

Isn’t it to appeal against a decision that has been made, not to object to an application 

Whether its intention is to discourage mischievous objectors or not, what it also does do is discourage people who do have a genuine objection. My daughter and many of her neighbours objected to a government planning application which of course got waived through, all the objections were from people surrounding the plot of land concerned. When it came to the appeal most wrote letters of apology to my daughter and said they simply couldn't afford the fee to carry on, my daughters submission to the appeal contained letters from the other objectors saying their concerns were just as valid but couldn't pay the fee ! Seems a blunt instrument to me !!

10 minutes ago, asitis said:

Whether its intention is to discourage mischievous objectors or not, what it also does do is discourage people who do have a genuine objection. My daughter and many of her neighbours objected to a government planning application which of course got waived through, all the objections were from people surrounding the plot of land concerned. When it came to the appeal most wrote letters of apology to my daughter and said they simply couldn't afford the fee to carry on, my daughters submission to the appeal contained letters from the other objectors saying their concerns were just as valid but couldn't pay the fee ! Seems a blunt instrument to me !!

From a blunt government.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1