Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

3 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

That's exactly what should happen, people should get saving and just see the state pension as a top up. If you're too poor to save, too feckless to save or a waster....then tough shit, the best that you can hope for is to die shortly after pension age, which, as it happens is exactly what the Government want you to do...less to pay out pension wise, no health costs and no retirement/care home costs.....welcome to the future one and all.

soylent green anyone?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

Public sector pensions are what they signed up to as part of their employment contracts. It is true that up until a few years back the Civil Service (well the vast majority) paid zilch into the pot but that has been addressed now. If you're whining about Public Servants getting a pension then why the fuck didn't you join the public service or take out a private pension?

I believe in state provision of a living pension for ordinary members of society

& the public execution of civil servants who get above themselves

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Donald Trumps said:

I believe in state provision of a living pension for ordinary members of society

Which is what it is, nearly £200 a week should be enough for someone who hasn't paid into a private pension. The mortgage (if one was had) is paid, if you are in public housing then the rent and rates are paid, there's enough to feed and heat ...if there's not enough money to go on holiday or buy and maintain a car then tough shit...that's life ..get the bus using your free bus pass.

18 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

The new terms civil service pension schemes aren't quite as glamorous as you may believe, I've worked on much more beneficial private occupational schemes before.

When accepting work, I would never get carried away solely on the salary offered. It's about understanding the entire package being offered, including retirement solutions.

Should those who are paying into a very good private scheme also be subject to a public execution?

No just uppity civil servants

So you're saying:-

Person 'A' who works hard for their whole life, pays all of their taxes, NI and pension contributions should be publicly executed for the sole fact they're employed by the Government. But Person 'B', who also works hard for their whole life, pays all of their taxes, NI and private pension contributions should not be executed because they were employed privately?

Have you applied any logic to your thinking on this?

I'm not questioning in an attempt to defend the civil service; I'm just confused as to how you've concluded your thoughts...

As some of you appear to have enjoyed my earlier report on the initial stages of the “Budget Speech Cliché Bingo” played by myself and my friend over coffee (and, I’ll admit, a glass of Prosecco) this morning,  here’s what eventually happened...

My friend and I each wrote out on an A4 card (one each) 8 cliche phrases that we expected to hear during Cannan’s speech - if by chance we duplicated any of each other’s phrases, then that was no problem, just as your bingo card will share some numbers with that of other players. (And indeed we did duplicate a couple, which were “reduce the cost” and  “new and exciting” which when it came up made us feel very bloody clever).

Although, as I posted earlier, I took an early lead with “hard working families” (a dead cert I felt) thus winning the bag of marshmallows spot-prize for “opening cliche” my friend took the grand prize of a very desirable bottle of Rioja with victory by 6 cliches to 5. Two of her scoring cliches that particularly impressed me (I had failed to predict either) were “emerging threats” and “building for the future”. However, we metaphorically beat ourselves up for both failing to include “no room for complacency” which, in hindsight, was the most likely cliche of all to appear in the speech. Ultimately, in conceding defeat to my friend I was doubly impressed, because in reality she scored 6 out of 7 having essentially relinquished her eighth cliche by offering the somewhat less likely “That cunt the Chief Minister”.  You can’t win ‘em all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Declan said:

Unless you've been paying into a private pension. 

2 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

That's what CoMin wants you to do so they don't have to pay out a living state pension

Actually, it would be more convenient if you'd just die before retiring and this is what they are working towards.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

............ having essentially relinquished her eighth cliche by offering the somewhat less likely “That cunt the Chief Minister”.  You can’t win ‘em all.

So was it not Alf that said it? Somebody did, I'm sure. Will have to check Hansard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

£45m a year of taxpayers funds spent on rescuing public sector pensions, & state pensioners forced to claim income support - what kind of inclusive & caring society does that?

Fucking cunts

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

£45m a year of taxpayers funds spent on rescuing public sector pensions, & state pensioners forced to claim income support - what kind of inclusive & caring society does that?

Fucking cunts

Why not stand for the next election, get in, accept the Treasury Minister role and change it then gobshite.

21 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Fucking cunts

I thought they had to find £50 million a year. 

• Like 1