Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
hissingsid

Interesting questions tabled for next weeks Tynwald

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:
6 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

So roughly how long have i left to send abuse to people before this law comes in? May as well get it done now while there's still time.

Dilli might as well just get the bus to Jurby and hand himself in. He’s not going to survive this! 

I call a spade a spade and treat as I find. If I call you a tw*t, it usually means you are acting like one.

I probably fit a few of the categories JW describes, But at least I am true to myself and don't kiss arses. 

Shame a lot more can't be as honest.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Dilli might as well just get the bus to Jurby and hand himself in. He’s not going to survive this! 

Deliberate provocative poking of a bear or bees nest with a stick like that might mean you aren’t far behind.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I call a spade a spade and treat as I find. If I call you a tw*t, it usually means you are acting like one.

I probably fit a few of the categories JW describes, But at least I am true to myself and don't kiss arses. 

Shame a lot more can't be as honest.

I just saw your other identities lurking and thought I’d see how long it took you to log out and post ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Deliberate provocative poking of a bear or bees nest with a stick like that might mean you aren’t far behind.

Why should I have to tread on eggshells around people who clearly have issues? I’ve put up with enough baiting myself. Time was I could have posted about fluffy bunnies on MF and then get abused for liking fluffy bunnies just to try to start an argument :lol:

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I just saw your other identities lurking and thought I’d see how long it took you to log out and post ;)

Could John W, or any of the Mods PLEASE tell TSOS that I have ONE account on here ? Is it boring or what to be constantly accused of being someone else.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dilligaf said:

Could John W, or any of the Mods PLEASE tell TSOS that I have ONE account on here ? Is it boring or what to be constantly accused of being someone else.?

Nice avatar by the way :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Why should I have to tread on eggshells around people who clearly have issues? I’ve put up with enough baiting myself. 

I don’t have to put up with it either.

If you can’t take slightly tongue in cheek ribbing and immediately start challenging, you won’t get far, perhaps.

If the pair of you start and spam the thread tonight you’ll both be absent for sometime.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

Could John W, or any of the Mods PLEASE tell TSOS that I have ONE account on here ? Is it boring or what to be constantly accused of being someone else.?

I wouldn’t know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I just saw your other identities lurking and thought I’d see how long it took you to log out and post ;)

Stop. Now.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I don’t have to put up with it either.

If you can’t take slightly tongue in cheek ribbing and immediately start challenging, you won’t get far, perhaps.

If the pair of you start and spam the thread tonight you’ll both be absent for sometime.

I wasnt challenging you at all. Honestly. Let’s take the heat out of this as none intended or directed at you at all. I’ll stop now if it’s annoying you. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is quite an interesting subject. For a bit of research I did a Google search on cases linked to the IOM and came up with this. It does maybe show how this might be applied in reality 

https://inforrm.org/2015/03/04/from-telegram-to-tweet-section-127-and-all-that-graham-smith/

By way of a historical footnote, the Twitter Joke Trial was not the first occasion on which a joke communication has landed the perpetrator in hot water with the criminal law. This incident from 1924 could have graced the pages of PG Wodehouse.

In January 1924 the Rev. Walter Karran, a curate on the Isle of Man, pleaded guilty at Liverpool Police Court (under pre-1935 legislation) to uttering a forged telegram (or to aiding and abetting the same – reports vary).  The following account is based for the most part on the report in the Dundee Courier of 25 January 1924.

The Rev. Karran had been travelling to Liverpool from the Isle of Man. He suggested to a fellow-traveller on the ferry, Miss Alice Winstone, that he should send a telegram to his Bishop purporting to be from the then Prime Minister, Mr Stanley Baldwin. He then wrote the following message which he asked her to send from the telegraph office in Liverpool, giving her the money to pay:

“To Denton Thompson, Bishop’s Court, Kirkmichael, I.O.M. – Meet me at Adelphi Hotel, three, to-morrow afternoon. Most important. – Baldwin.”

The Bishop received the telegram and hastened to Liverpool, where he knew that Baldwin was speaking that day, but discovered on arrival that he had been hoaxed. The Bishop was meant to be moving the Church Enabling Bill in the Manx Legislative Assembly, which had to be postponed due to his absence. The Bishop had thought the telegram must concern the Baldwin Trust, of which he was Chairman.

Following police enquiries the Rev. Karran confessed and took full responsibility. The Director of Public Prosecutions instigated proceeedings. In court counsel, in mitigation, said that the Rev. Karran was a “devoted worker in his vocation, but inclined in lighter moments to take a humorous view of things and to indulge in practical joking”. Miss Winstone was threatened with sea sickness and it was to divert her attention that he suggested the joke. It was rumoured that the Bishop was likely to be offered a bishopric in England and he thought the telegram would be “a very amusing bit of leg-pulling”.

The Stipendiary Magistrate was less amused. The explanation given as to why the Bishop might have thought the telegram genuine “made the so-called joke a singularly offensive one”. It was “incredible to most people that a clergyman could do such a thing”. The Rev. Karran was fined £10 and 25 guineas costs.  A summons against Miss Winstone was withdrawn, she being held to be an innocent party in the episode.

Telegram or tweet, jokes have a tendency to fall flat when scrutinised in the cold light of the courtroom.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen some really unkind things about some politicians on Isle of Man News and Politics, about appearance etc. now  I think that is unnecessary if their actions or proposals are criticised then fair game they aren in the public eye and should be able to take constructive criticism or really any kind of criticism if voters are not happy with their actions.   I do think Hooper is trying to stifle people pointing the finger if they perceive a politician is not acting in the best of their constituents interests, this is a very badly worded proposal and could be liable to misinterpretation, I hope it does not go through on the nod.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:
48 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I don’t have to put up with it either.

If you can’t take slightly tongue in cheek ribbing and immediately start challenging, you won’t get far, perhaps.

If the pair of you start and spam the thread tonight you’ll both be absent for sometime.

I wasnt challenging you at all. Honestly. Let’s take the heat out of this as none intended or directed at you at all. I’ll stop now if it’s annoying you. 

Edited 41 minutes ago by thesultanofsheight

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I have seen some really unkind things about some politicians on Isle of Man News and Politics, about appearance etc. now  I think that is unnecessary if their actions or proposals are criticised then fair game they aren in the public eye and should be able to take constructive criticism or really any kind of criticism if voters are not happy with their actions.   I do think Hooper is trying to stifle people pointing the finger if they perceive a politician is not acting in the best of their constituents interests, this is a very badly worded proposal and could be liable to misinterpretation, I hope it does not go through on the nod.

It will go through on the nod is my guess. As you say policies are fair game. People and family stuff is not fair game at all but the justification is muddied here. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×