Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
studmuffin

Teen broke victim's nose in unprovoked attack

I fail to see how this isn't a custodial sentence? It's awful. 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=47025&headline=Teen%20broke%20victim%27s%20nose%20in%20an%20unprovoked%20attack&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2019

• Like 1

1 minute ago, studmuffin said:

You and me and lots of other folk I suspect. Getting increasingly concerned by the seemingly capricious and arbitrary nature of Ms. Hughes sentencing. 

• Like 4

Especially when it would "appear" that you can get locked up for having a kid's plastic gun?

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

"A probation report assessed Pszczolkowski as a low risk of reoffending and of harm to the public."

htf can anyone tell? The facts of the serious crime should stand on their own. There is no mitigation for punching fuck out of a stranger in an unprovoked attack

"But Mrs Hughes said she had taken into account Pszczolkowski’s young age, his lack of previous convictions, his guilty plea, and his demonstration of remorse and that she was satisfied that this was a one-off incident."

"...his guilty plea "- How is that relevant? He was pissed, there were plenty of witnesses in a public place, he had no choice other than to accept he was guilty

"..lack of previous convictions" - How is it relevant if there were no previous conviction? I agree it is relevant if there had been previous convictions.

"..demonstration of remorse- Again, how is that relevant? I agree it is relevant if there had been no demonstration of remorse.

I think Ms Hughes is one to watch.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Especially when it would "appear" that you can get locked up for having a kid's plastic gun?

They seem to be very lenient with a lot of our violent Eastern European visitors. I’m amazed he didn’t end up inside for that and only a six month ban on alcohol and licensed premises is weak too. 

• Like 5

I like the idea that sentencing is done by qualified legal people and not by mob justice

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Had the girl not pulled him off him when would he have stopped?

:o

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, craggy_steve said:

You and me and lots of other folk I suspect. Getting increasingly concerned by the seemingly capricious and arbitrary nature of Ms. Hughes sentencing. 

"...capricious and arbitrary"; Excellent observation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, piebaps said:

I like the idea that sentencing is done by qualified legal people and not by mob justice

A lot of those qualified legal people can be termed misguided, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid on the basis of their actions, though.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

Had the girl not pulled him off when would he have stopped?

Jesus if that’s the only way she could stop him he must be a complete maniac! ;)

Edited by Cheesy Wheezy
  • Haha 2

Had my nose broken a couple of times, it never went to court, never expected it to!  

4 hours ago, piebaps said:

I see where you are coming from of course. And you would have been highly justified in your point if 'the mob'  had been calling for lynching or locking up and throwing away the key etc. But I don't think there has been any of that here - just a criticism of the apparent light sentence handed down by Jaynie.

• Like 3