Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
studmuffin

Teen broke victim's nose in unprovoked attack

On 3/1/2019 at 12:34 PM, gettafa said:

"A probation report assessed Pszczolkowski as a low risk of reoffending and of harm to the public."

htf can anyone tell? The facts of the serious crime should stand on their own. There is no mitigation for punching fuck out of a stranger in an unprovoked attack

"But Mrs Hughes said she had taken into account Pszczolkowski’s young age, his lack of previous convictions, his guilty plea, and his demonstration of remorse and that she was satisfied that this was a one-off incident."

"...his guilty plea "- How is that relevant? He was pissed, there were plenty of witnesses in a public place, he had no choice other than to accept he was guilty

"..lack of previous convictions" - How is it relevant if there were no previous conviction? I agree it is relevant if there had been previous convictions.

"..demonstration of remorse- Again, how is that relevant? I agree it is relevant if there had been no demonstration of remorse.

I think Ms Hughes is one to watch.

Actually what she is doing is demonstrating how sentencing is done.  A judge starts off looking at the maximum sentence for the offence and then reduce it to account for mitigating factors, such as those listed, rather than  increasing from a minimum because those factors are absent or even counter-indicated (eg a defendant saying they had no remorse and would do it again). 

There's actually not a lot of flexibility in the sentence that can be given as there are rules to be followed and a set of criteria to be taken into account when working it out.  And if a judge gets it wrong (either too harsh or too lenient) the sentence can be appealed against. because the guidelines weren't followed.  So they normally explain how they came to their decision as Jayne Hughes did there.

• Like 1

Above two posts, thanks.

But I just feel it is wrong that there can be any mitigation whatsoever that someone can assault a person where there has been no provocation. Lock the little shit up in a cell for a few months to let them ponder over their evil violent ways.

I don't care how drunk they was, I don't care how sweet and mild they has been all this time (or perhaps they was never caught). An unprovoked attacker needs removing from society to make society safe. That is what prison is for.

Locking little violent shits up.

ps I am not a high court judge.

• Like 3

Keep people like this fella away from the demon drink.

Impose a 5 years pub ban and from other premises with an alcohol licence. If those premises break the ban or if anyone supplies him with alcohol then they should face the court, the premises should forfeit their licence for a year and the offender gets an automatic 3 year custodial sentence.

Why do people ignore the elephant in the room when it comes to drink related violence?  There's really no excuse.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Keep people like this fella away from the demon drink.

Impose a 5 years pub ban and from other premises with an alcohol licence. If those premises break the ban or if anyone supplies him with alcohol then they should face the court, the premises should forfeit their licence for a year and the offender gets an automatic 3 year custodial sentence.

Why do people ignore the elephant in the room when it comes to drink related violence?  There's really no excuse.

Or just keep them away from the Island.

• Like 3

There's some fair comments on this thread and some other comments where although it's not directly stated,  its implied that there's a correlation between nationality and the crime. 

Unfortunately we have our own manx born and bred scum; nationality isn't the problem here. The crime is.

Please don't make this something it's not! In my younger days I worked on the Isle of Man with so many people from all across Europe; almost all of them are amongst the nicest people you could ever meet! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Kitten Mittens said:

There's some fair comments on this thread and some other comments where although it's not directly stated,  its implied that there's a correlation between nationality and the crime. 

Unfortunately we have our own manx born and bred scum; nationality isn't the problem here. The crime is.

Please don't make this something it's not! In my younger days I worked on the Isle of Man with so many people from all across Europe; almost all of them are amongst the nicest people you could ever meet! 

quite correct,  but the scrotey foreigners can fuck off back to where they came from once their sentence has been carried out, be it a fine, community service or clink.  as you say, we have our own scum,  no need to import it.

Edited by WTF
  • Thanks 1

But Mrs Hughes said she had taken into account Pszczolkowski’s young age, his lack of previous convictions, his guilty plea, and his demonstration of remorse and that she was satisfied that this was a one-off incident.

What was his "demonstration of remorse"?

16 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

He said he was sorry!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

he had a sign saying 'sorry' and marched around town with it.

7 hours ago, gettafa said:

ps I am not a high court judge.

Shame.

What happened to the idea of excess alcohol intake being an aggravating rather than a mitigating factor?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WTF said:

Sounds like he saw Die Hard with a Vengeance too many times.

6 minutes ago, WTF said:

It was in Polish, but he said it meant "sorry". Might have meant "you soft, stupid feckers".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1