Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
hissingsid

Rates Reform

The evaluation method still needs overhauling, regardless of how dues are collected.

My fear is that evaluation process could be skewed by "interested parties" (usual suspects?) leading to a greater burden placed on those who might normally pay the same or less.

But either way, it will seek greater revenue.

• Like 1

Looks/sounds to me as if the Minister for Reform has already made up his mind what matrix will be used. I don't expect that to change.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Scrap local authorities altogether.  Social housing is owned and paid for by central government anyway.  Yes we'd still have water and rubbish tax to pay but it would save a bloody fortune. 

5 hours ago, piebaps said:

Scrap rates altogether and simply increase income tax by the amount required to cover rates revenue. Simples

Hmm with that level of thinking, you’re a shoe in for the government

• Thanks 1

Local Authorities are more committed to their area, anything government controls ends in tears.   Commissioners just get expenses can you imagine how many managers, under managers etc government would install to run a central department  with pensions etc to boot.    

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Local Authorities are more committed to their area, anything government controls ends in tears.   Commissioners just get expenses can you imagine how many managers, under managers etc government would install to run a central department  with pensions etc to boot.    

What about the expense of the multiplication of services over the 22+ authorities? The staff? The equipment? All of which is funded by the LA's respective ratepayers. A pooling of resources would make far more economic sense. 

Quite a few LA's haven't exactly covered themselves with fiscal responsibility glory in recent years.

Quite a few government departments are short in the glory stakes as well.    Big is not always better, large departments are then divided up into smaller departments and then keeping track of each department is where the rot sets in.    What is suitable for one district does not work for another, it is preferable for locals to have a say in their own affairs.   I think local authorities and the town councils should have a bigger say in planning for instance and get given more responsibility for matters in their own district.   Central government is impersonal and more difficult to control.    If it is not broken do not try to fix it.   This present government does not give me any confidence I would hesitate to let them run a bath for me let alone administer local affairs.

On 3/1/2019 at 9:59 PM, Rushen Spy said:

Well, at any rate, I do hope some reforms are achieved here.

At any rate is probably right. A bloody expensive one.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, piebaps said:

Scrap rates altogether and simply increase income tax by the amount required to cover rates revenue. Simples

Aaagghhh!! What? In a tax haven? No chance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, woolley said:

Aaagghhh!! What? In a tax haven? No chance.

Now you understand why we continually get fuckwits voted back into power..

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

What about the expense of the multiplication of services over the 22+ authorities? The staff? The equipment? All of which is funded by the LA's respective ratepayers. A pooling of resources would make far more economic sense. 

Quite a few LA's haven't exactly covered themselves with fiscal responsibility glory in recent years.

Write out a thousand times: "Bigger is always more expensive." Think of all those full time pen pushers replacing volunteers on expenses only (many commissioners currently claim nothing at all), and all of the lovely new systems and requirements they would come up with to keep themselves busy and build their empires. I appreciate that the small parish commissioners have a full time clerk on decent money, but I guarantee that if you merged them to form 4 large ones, the total number of staff and the associated costs would be exponentially higher.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, woolley said:

Write out a thousand times: "Bigger is always more expensive." Think of all those full time pen pushers replacing volunteers on expenses only (many commissioners currently claim nothing at all), and all of the lovely new systems and requirements they would come up with to keep themselves busy and build their empires. I appreciate that the small parish commissioners have a full time clerk on decent money, but I guarantee that if you merged them to form 4 large ones, the total number of staff and the associated costs would be exponentially higher.

I can think of large numbers of full time pen pushers in post with LAs. The elected members cost nothing. Write out that x 26(?). Plus all the multiplication of equipment such as became necessary when the DOI pulled out of LA areas. That ratepayers are now paying through the nose for.

If empire building is the threat, that's what needs to be addressed. Not economies of scale and efficiency.

11 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

If empire building is the threat, that's what needs to be addressed. Not economies of scale and efficiency.

I agree. Let's get central government to address it, knock those profligate LAs into line and show them how to run an efficient operation. Oh, er, wait a minute.

18 minutes ago, woolley said:

I agree. Let's get central government to address it, knock those profligate LAs into line and show them how to run an efficient operation. Oh, er, wait a minute.

Tell that to the Ramsey ratepayers who've just been hit with the 10% hike and a Courthouse without a function. I'm sure they'll gladly accept.