Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
hissingsid

Rates Reform

Posted (edited)

Indeed. I've just had my demand through from the jewel of the North's Town Hall. As previously announced, up 10% on last year.

Enclosed with the demand is a leaflet of coloured pie charts which purport to show where the expenditure takes place and rather sanctimonious explanation for the rise and why it's necessary.

Much of it, to include bog tax (£215 here too) and refuse appears to arise from charges imposed by Central Govt, although it's all dwarfed by RTC's own Administration and Office Expenses at nearly 31% of the annual budget at nearly £907k.

All for a town of less than 8k people.

Edited by Non-Believer
  • Thanks 1

Port Erin rate in pence...

Church Yard 14

Commissioners 307

Water 235.5

Toilet 215

I guess with such a legacy of debt in the utilities we are shafted !

• Thanks 1

Here's the latest

Policy and Reform Minister Chris Thomas has said this is a cheaper way of addressing an 'out-of-date and unfair' system than revaluing homes based on their capital value.

It's thought this could cost anywhere between one and two million pounds, whereas the area-based method is said to be much cheaper.

So how much cheaper? And how often will the aerial mapping be updated?

Cheaper is not always best has Thomas not learned anything from his voters list fiasco when thousands of people who had sent in their forms were sent reminders.   I rang the cabinet office to see if my form had been received and the poor guy answering the phone sounded demented he had had hundreds of calls.   For god's sake this man is dangerous what with his leisure tax idea and now this all to justify his existence.   I have said this before but I feel sorry for the C.M.   who has to figure out who is capable of doing what with the material he has to work with. 

Ramsey Commissioners now grumbling about potential loss of commercial rates now too, in line with the Corpy's stance. All these little authorities with their own little worlds to jealously guard. To what end? 10% hike in Ramsey this year, wasn't it?

2 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Cheaper is not always best has Thomas not learned anything from his voters list fiasco when thousands of people who had sent in their forms were sent reminders.   I rang the cabinet office to see if my form had been received and the poor guy answering the phone sounded demented he had had hundreds of calls.   For god's sake this man is dangerous what with his leisure tax idea and now this all to justify his existence.   I have said this before but I feel sorry for the C.M.   who has to figure out who is capable of doing what with the material he has to work with. 

Why feel sorry for the CM? He's no better than the rest of them

• Like 1

I feel sorry for all the people who have the joy of being Chief Minister on this Island because they are the ones to take the flack when anyone of their useless team make mistakes.    He did get to choose the team but on the basis of best of bunch not on their grasp of politics.    The same can be said about candidates when the electorate are voting, when is the last time you were really convinced that your choice would try or was capable of making a difference.   People who could or would are not always interested for many reasons.    Why would you make yourself a whipping boy for the return that is offered ? It may seem, and is, big Bucks to most of us but in the world of private enterprise it is not and certainly not worth the hassle and aggravation.    The only people who put themselves in this position really are losers, not doing very well on their chosen path.    There are ,of course, exceptions to the rule who genuinely want to make a difference but I think they soon become disillusioned.    There is no passion in politics on the Island , politicians are just watching their backs and working towards the next election.

• Like 2

Our CM has little grasp of politics & entered the race for the role with astonishing impetus for one so poorly qualified for 'leadership'

56 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Our CM has little grasp of politics & entered the race for the role with astonishing impetus for one so poorly qualified for 'leadership'

And was duly put in the seat with equally astonishing impetus....

• Like 1

Most people - but probably not everyone on here - would agree Mr Cannan was the people's favourite for the role at the time

This was before a barking Thatcherite emphasis came to the fore

Dr Allinson is surely now the public choice

• Thanks 1

On 4/28/2019 at 11:14 AM, hissingsid said:

I feel sorry for all the people who have the joy of being Chief Minister on this Island because they are the ones to take the flack when anyone of their useless team make mistakes.    He did get to choose the team but on the basis of best of bunch not on their grasp of politics.    The same can be said about candidates when the electorate are voting, when is the last time you were really convinced that your choice would try or was capable of making a difference.   People who could or would are not always interested for many reasons.    Why would you make yourself a whipping boy for the return that is offered ? It may seem, and is, big Bucks to most of us but in the world of private enterprise it is not and certainly not worth the hassle and aggravation.    The only people who put themselves in this position really are losers, not doing very well on their chosen path.    There are ,of course, exceptions to the rule who genuinely want to make a difference but I think they soon become disillusioned.    There is no passion in politics on the Island , politicians are just watching their backs and working towards the next election.

Peter Karran’s favourite rant 

One Party State by Patronage.

• Like 1