Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
hissingsid

Rates Reform

Yes, I agree Dr Allinson seems a very decent man who would represent the Island well.   I do not trust Cannan.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Donald Trumps said:

Most people - but probably not everyone on here - would agree Mr Cannan was the people's favourite for the role at the time

This was before a barking Thatcherite emphasis came to the fore

Dr Allinson is surely now the public choice 

Your personal choice. You can't speak on behalf of the public.

Chris Thomas and Alf Cannan are the only two competent people.

Also, they have presided the most progressive budgetary reforms we've ever had while also fighting to sort out inherited mess from previous administrations who had for yeats kicked the can down the road on many important issues.

On 4/27/2019 at 1:29 PM, Non-Believer said:

Ramsey Commissioners now grumbling about potential loss of commercial rates now too, in line with the Corpy's stance. All these little authorities with their own little worlds to jealously guard. To what end? 10% hike in Ramsey this year, wasn't it?

well if the commercial rates don't go to the local authorities then residential rates will go up to cover the shortfall, the consultation said that 20% of Ramsey's rate income is commercial

• Like 1

Chris Thomas is a buffoon he just talks does not a lot, you think an additional leisure tax is a good idea ? And the year of our Island did not cover itself in glory..no way.   I doubt he will be elected again anyway a lot of people are very disenchanted with him.

Alex is a good bloke. Very clever, and I would count him as a friend.

He has, however, become a politcian, which may or may not be a good thing!

CM candidate either way.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Whatnonsence said:

Peter Karran’s favourite rant 

One Party State by Patronage.

He was right

17 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

Your personal choice. You can't speak on behalf of the public.

Chris Thomas and Alf Cannan are the only two competent people.

Also, they have presided the most progressive budgetary reforms we've ever had while also fighting to sort out inherited mess from previous administrations who had for yeats kicked the can down the road on many important issues.

You're on the wrong planet today TJ

4 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Alex is a good bloke. Very clever, and I would count him as a friend.

He has, however, become a politcian, which may or may not be a good thing!

CM candidate either way.

Can't work out if that is an endorsement or not!

• Like 1

The problem is that the only thing we have to judge Allinson on is Abortion and Cannabis.  I note that he went in hard on the side of retaining existing Public Sector Pensions whilst Cannan remains in favour of closing them down - so if it is these two to choose from, then it would appear to be a straight Left v Right debate or, most likely, higher taxes vs tax cuts given the pension forecasts ! 

Dr Allison makes no secret of his left leaning political views, but he is Chair of the MUA - amongst other things

Feel sure he'll adopt a much 'greener' agenda than the Quayle regime, whose only view of green opportunities is a field to build on

3 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Dr Allison makes no secret of his left leaning political views...

Ahhh..that explains his comments at my last medical with him.

Cough!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, interestedman said:

The problem is that the only thing we have to judge Allinson on is Abortion and Cannabis.  I note that he went in hard on the side of retaining existing Public Sector Pensions whilst Cannan remains in favour of closing them down - so if it is these two to choose from, then it would appear to be a straight Left v Right debate or, most likely, higher taxes vs tax cuts given the pension forecasts ! 

I'd hardly call vital reform to public sector pensions a "right" wing stance. It remains a simple matter of affordability and necessity. If Allinson was opposed to that then he is unfit to be in charge of taxpayers' money.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, interestedman said:

The problem is that the only thing we have to judge Allinson on is Abortion and Cannabis...

Must have been a helluva party though?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Feel sure he'll adopt a much 'greener' agenda than the Quayle regime, whose only view of green opportunities is a field to build on

And grant greenbacks.