Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
hissingsid

Rates Reform

25 minutes ago, craggy_steve said:

There should be only two strategic priorities for Gov't.

1) Restrict immigration to those who have a compassionate right (family here) or will reasonably pay their way - whether through high value employment or existing wealth, in order to re-balance the demographic and economy.

Is this even a problem that needs looking at?

IOMG appear to have enacted legislation borrowed from the UK instigating the mass departure of EU nationals

& IOMG are desperate for people to fill the breeze block + fibreboard boxes being built over the  green countryside

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Is this even a problem that needs looking at?

It's the inverse solution to the problem which the current strategy to increase the working population is supposed to address. However it's a much less costly, more achievable solution, recognised by a previous IoMG and the legislation to do it is already on the books but never brought into force.

OK. I'm not totally sure I know what that means. I don't work in the sectors you do steve, so may not be aware of any problems with immigration here. There are less eastern europeans around in the construction world than there were a few years back. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

OK. I'm not totally sure I know what that means. I don't work in the sectors you do steve, so may not be aware of any problems with immigration here. There are less eastern europeans around in the construction world than there were a few years back. 

Basically, the IoM allows anyone who may reside in the UK to come here irrespective of whether they will cost the state more than they contribute, and blocks new workers unless they can get a work permit. The risk is that we get loads of immigrants on pensions and lower salaries who cost the state more than they can pay in. That has happened and is a part of our public sector finance problem - too many people to serve for the amount of tax coming in. Most other countries (including UK and Channel Islands) bar this by restricting immigration, but we have an open door to anyone who can get into the UK. It creates pressure on public finances, pressure on health, education and police services etc., and of course pressure on housing.

Thanks for your explanation, I understand all of that. The question is, is it even a problem? I think it was for a while, certainly in my work there was a period where wages dropped a touch because there was a lot of labour available eg one of the larger scaffold firms was paying minimum wage because they could, but that doesn't seem to be the case now. 

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Thanks for your explanation, I understand all of that. The question is, is it even a problem? I think it was for a while, certainly in my work there was a period where wages dropped a touch because there was a lot of labour available eg one of the larger scaffold firms was paying minimum wage because they could, but that doesn't seem to be the case now. 

Central Gov't Public Services cost £12,938 per resident (inc. children, elderly, politicians etc. etc.) https://www.gov.im/news/2019/feb/19/spending-equates-to-12938-per-person/

Therefore on average the state has to gather that much per person - from business taxes (not much), Income tax, National Insurance, VAT, Duties (fuel, fags & booze etc.). They can't get that much from lower-waged immigrant workers (whom we need), or most retired immigrants  (who don't pay National Insurance and whom we don't need) or other non-working immigrants except the rich. If you look at the Budget http://financereports.gov.im/SummaryBudgetReport.mth you'll see that c. 77% of Gov't income comes from Income Tax, NI, VAT & Duties.

Folk who don't earn much don't pay in much. Therefore it is economically good sense to minimise immigration from non-workers, and to prefer high-earning worker immigrants over low earning worker immigrants - otherwise Gov't goes bust. We all know that Gov't is facing a big problem in funding its public sector pension liabilities - this has been well publicised - without some change Gov't will either go bust or have to raise taxes, and the more non-workers / lower-earning immigrants we import who cost the state more than they can financially contribute (through no fault of their own) the sooner that will happen.

That's why it's a problem. Hope that helps.

Anyway, enough of that, didn't mean to hijack this thread about the Rates system, it's just that it is obvious our Gov't has much bigger and more important problems to deal with than faffing about with the Rates. 

4 hours ago, gettafa said:

Would a poll tax not be more appropriate to the Isle of Man?

Local charges for services provided locally

• Like 1

2 hours ago, craggy_steve said:

Central Gov't Public Services cost £12,938 per resident (inc. children, elderly, politicians etc. etc.

Out of interest does anyone know the equivalent in the UK? This seems like a very large number. 

2 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Out of interest does anyone know the equivalent in the UK? This seems like a very large number. 

£9,350 per head in 2017/18

The cost of satellite surveillance puts IOM costs up considerably

• Haha 1

Bloody hell!  Nearly 40% more to run the iom than UK?

Maybe we need to do some serious cost cutting,  any ideas?

4 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

£9,350 per head in 2017/18

and they fund an army with nukes and every inbred immigrant that can set foot on their shores

Edited by WTF

4 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Bloody hell!  Nearly 40% more to run the iom than UK?

Maybe we need to do some serious cost cutting,  any ideas?

That's Central Gov't. In the UK more delivery is funded by local gov't - and UK Council Taxes are much higher than our Rates.