Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
BallaDoc

Ramsey marina meeting tonight

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

Good effing night. I am now bored to tears.

Great flounce just because you were picked up on something wrong you posted ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be staggered in they've put more than £50k into it so far.

I really can't see government having put any money into it at all so far.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

I'd be staggered in they've put more than £50k into it so far.

I really can't see government having put any money into it at all so far.

But even if it’s £50k then £50k isn’t “nothing” as was claimed by the serial flouncer. He also claimed they had received government money which has not been proven at all. I’m only trying to fact check. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Gizo said:

In my lifetime I believe the old breakwater foundation stones are slipping, and some of old timers believe so too.  I don’t think it sits higher in the water than it used too.  

But as I’ve said numerous times on here, the only place a marina should be is in Port Erin, natural deep harbour.

It should have been monitored over the years. Not a huge job.

Maybe leave the existing breakwater as is then and build inside it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gettafa said:

It should have been monitored over the years. Not a huge job.

Maybe leave the existing breakwater as is then and build inside it?

Not a bad idea...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, gettafa said:

It should have been monitored over the years. Not a huge job.

Maybe leave the existing breakwater as is then and build inside it?

It's interesting that the massive concrete blocks that made up the PE breakwater were dismantled by the sea and yet PSM's Afred Pier is still there. And it's a hollow structure.

So what actually anchored the PE breakwater to the bedrock?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

But even if it’s £50k then £50k isn’t “nothing” as was claimed by the serial flouncer. He also claimed they had received government money which has not been proven at all. I’m only trying to fact check. 

In the context of a proposed £100m scheme, £50k is virtually nothing.

What have they really done so far?

Created a website, held a public meeting and released a few inconsistent drawings done on sketchup backed up with some grand ideas. (Except how to finance it all)

Well, without inside knowledge, we're all guessing at what the facts are, but I seriously doubt they've secured any Goverment funding given the hoops they make you jump through (in my experience) 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, P.K. said:

It's interesting that the massive concrete blocks that made up the PE breakwater were dismantled by the sea and yet PSM's Afred Pier is still there. And it's a hollow structure.

So what actually anchored the PE breakwater to the bedrock?

It's well enough documented and icba looking just now, but I believe the blocks were sat on infill foundation. Most of that nearby quarry was dumped in the sea for this purpose but the sand is deep and  the rubble stone probably didn't even hit the bedrock. Coupled with the severe south westerly gales the foundations as they were, never stood a chance. The size of the concrete blocks made them supposedly immovable by anything nature could throw at them.

This after an earlier gale:

https://www.imuseum.im/search/archive_record/view?id=mnh-museum-104102&type=archive&tab=all&from=0&term=port+erin+breakwater&size=20&sort=&filter=&view=&images=&ttmgp=0&rfname=&rlname=&machine=&race=&raceyear=&linked=0&pos=7

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks for that. What a great picture!

I was interested enough to google it even though it's late and I chanced upon Browns Directory.

So I started reading the story of the construction of the PE breakwater and very quickly came across the name "Gawne".

Nuff said.... :)

As you say they quarried stone to make up the foundation but it seems they just dumped it in the general area. It was found during the construction that some of this rubble had washed away. It seems their "solution" was to use heavier concrete blocks...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

But even if it’s £50k then £50k isn’t “nothing” as was claimed by the serial flouncer. He also claimed they had received government money which has not been proven at all. I’m only trying to fact check. 

If you read my posts again, you will see that I said the backers have probably not paid anything yet. The developers will have paid for the plans etc. and in my opinion, if it ever went ahead it would need taxpayers money to finish it. I have never claimed that any gov. money has been put in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is still that mystery lump of cash in the pink book for harbour plans that no one knows anything about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

There is still that mystery lump of cash in the pink book for harbour plans that no one knows anything about.

Shhh

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, dilligaf said:

I have never claimed that any gov. money has been put in.

Except here that is where you mentioned them wanting to steal taxpayers money  ....

 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Except here that is where you mentioned them wanting to steal taxpayers money  ....

 

Wanting to get their hands on gov financing for the Ramsey farrago is not the same as the government having actually put some cash into the pot.

Or have I missed something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Wanting to get their hands on gov financing for the Ramsey farrago is not the same as the government having actually put some cash into the pot.

Or have I missed something?

You don't miss any trick do you? Really interested as to why you see fit to keep popping into this disagreement with another poster as you have done in other threads too ;) :lol: It’s not dignified really and sticks out like a sore thumb. You won’t let it lie that you posted wrong facts will you ;) 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...