Jump to content
Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
BallaDoc

Ramsey marina meeting tonight

Recommended Posts

I can't comment on what others may know. My post was based on what 2 previously reliably well informed acquaintances advised in the last 7 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

As per my post a couple of days ago. Applied for Govt money, all turned down, allegedly/apparently. 

If this is true, then I'm going to post the rarest of posts.

Well done Government.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

If this is true, then I'm going to post the rarest of posts.

Well done Government.

I suspect that IOMG might have been accommodating if it were not for the fact they need to find more dosh to fund the proposed Douglas Harbour renovation/upgrade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I suspect that IOMG might have been accommodating if it were not for the fact they need to find more dosh to fund the proposed Douglas Harbour renovation/upgrade. 

Naa. We've got a bottomless pit of cash, remember? :lol: 

If it's true, they would have rejected it because anyone with half a brain can see the financials as presented just don't stack up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, b4mbi said:

Naa. We've got a bottomless pit of cash, remember? :lol: 

If it's true, they would have rejected it because anyone with half a brain can see the financials as presented just don't stack up.

Have you had sight of the financials?

In any case there is no yardstick with IOMG when it comes to spending taxpayers money...... the fairy houses are a case in point. 

Why did DfE throw the towel in early with Spark? The truth is IOMG has total disregard for the taxpayer.

 

ETA: And didn't IOMG throw a substantial amount of money at evaluating the possibility of developing a marina (400K??) , including something along the lines of what has been proposed?

I really think it might be a case of funding priorities with current projects.... not least Liverpool and Douglas Prom. 

Edited by Andy Onchan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MrPB said:

Government were never going to touch it with a barge pole. Half the pitchfork wavers of Ramsey came out in this from the start and government would never invest into something that is that politically unpopular no matter what the numbers may or may not have looked like. It’s a shame I think as it would have brought employment to Ramsey and broadened the economy but when has Ramsey ever wanted to join the 21st Century? Wilf and the others can now be content that Ramsey can stay being a right old dump for another 100 years which seems to be exactly what most of them want, 

It was the right idea, bu in the wrong place. Notwithstanding they missed the golden ticket 20 yrs ago with the offer to build it, just redeveloping the inner harbour like Douglas and Peel is all that is needed. 

It would transform the town 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need an all tides marina, not another flapgate restricted one.  PSM is still probably the best option.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:23 AM, MrPB said:

Half the pitchfork wavers of Ramsey came out in this from the start and government would never invest into something that is that politically unpopular no matter what the numbers may or may not have looked like. It’s a shame I think as it would have brought employment to Ramsey and broadened the economy but when has Ramsey ever wanted to join the 21st Century? Wilf and the others can now be content that Ramsey can stay being a right old dump for another 100 years which seems to be exactly what most of them want, 

The pitchfork wavers are over the fucking moon already after buying a courthouse on the ratepayer.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2019 at 8:23 AM, MrPB said:

Government were never going to touch it with a barge pole. Half the pitchfork wavers of Ramsey came out in this from the start and government would never invest into something that is that politically unpopular no matter what the numbers may or may not have looked like. It’s a shame I think as it would have brought employment to Ramsey and broadened the economy but when has Ramsey ever wanted to join the 21st Century? Wilf and the others can now be content that Ramsey can stay being a right old dump for another 100 years which seems to be exactly what most of them want, 

Ramsey was particularly hard done by when those flats were built in the 1970s. Ramsey was promised the earth and all that happened was it just got a lot shitter.

In the name of greed and the money men.

There are a number of factors of course but I would say any decline in Ramsey can be traced back to when the monstrosity was built.

Maybe it's a case of once bitten twice shy. Which is a great shame, but I can't blame the er, pitchfork wavers.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, MrPB said:

I know that’s a real joke. I walked past there the other day.

I hear Mountain Warehouse will be taking it over and marketing it as the Juan McGuinness home of sartorial excellence. Just what Ramsey needs. So if you want some cargo pants and an industrial set of beard trimmers you won’t be disappointed.  I bet they’ll even get Allan Bell in there for a Rhumsaa make over. 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ramsey, sadly, is a town with both feet firmly on the downward slope of decline. Yes, new shops open. But the town loses shops equally fast, usually being replaced by charity shops or the recent phenomenon of coffee shops.

In common with lots of other places it's almost devoid of any sort of nightlife, pubs that were once thronging are now empty or sparsely patronised as are most of its many eateries, certainly during the evenings. Events like the Chruiinach have been lost, even turned away.

Why it has arisen and how to reverse this decline are the questions that need answering. Long ago it was said that Ramsey was becoming a dormitory of Douglas. Perhaps it wasn't heeded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well now, I really like Ramsey, the town and the folk......so there!.....and no, I don't live there.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

Well now, I really like Ramsey, the town and the folk......so there!.....and no, I don't live there.

I like Ramsey too and I don't live there either.:)

We went to Ramsey on Saturday afternoon for a tootle about and our daughter pointed out that most people there were of retirement age.

She was not too far wrong TBH. I pointed out that Ramsey, for some reason gets better weather than Douglas, so not a great surprise that many folk choose to retire there.

It does have some run down areas, but Ramsey has a lot going for it.

It has the best park by a mile, a nice harbour, many quaint pubs and buildings and the wonderful sandy beach running for miles heading north, to name just a few of it's good points. ( not forgetting that the staff in most shops actually wanted to be of service )

 The last thing Ramsey needed was a fucking stupid big marina to overshadow the whole town.

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, dilligaf said:

I like Ramsey too and I don't live there either.:)

We went to Ramsey on Saturday afternoon for a tootle about and our daughter pointed out that most people there were of retirement age.

She was not too far wrong TBH. I pointed out that Ramsey, for some reason gets better weather than Douglas, so not a great surprise that many folk choose to retire there.

It does have some run down areas, but Ramsey has a lot going for it.

It has the best park by a mile, a nice harbour, many quaint pubs and buildings and the wonderful sandy beach running for miles heading north, to name just a few of it's good points. ( not forgetting that the staff in most shops actually wanted to be of service )

 The last thing Ramsey needed was a fucking stupid big marina to overshadow the whole town.

I've lived in Ramsey for over 20 years. It does have some real plusses. Park is magnificent, a few decent restaurants (Vellikas, JP's and Riva seems to be coming back to form from what I've heard) Milntown nearby which is always good for lunch, and no shortage of places to go for a brew. Great for cycling too - out of the door and on to some of the least used roads on the Island. 

What does continually grip me though, is the cost of running the place. I am still deeply annoyed at a 10% rates increase, and some of the salaries rumoured to be paid in the Commissioners, for a village hamlet of 3500 people is not helping. But as you know, I'm not a fan of the micro-feifdom system that prevails in any case.

Lots of good bits, but could still do better. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

What does continually grip me though, is the cost of running the place. I am still deeply annoyed at a 10% rates increase, and some of the salaries rumoured to be paid in the Commissioners, for a village hamlet of 3500 people is not helping.

Actually the population of Ramsey was 7,845 in the 2016 Census.  Are you sure it's there you're living? :P

(Which isn't to say that there aren't some excessive salaries in local government for the size of the community or the job.  But norms are set by what central government pays and, unlike those for say bus drivers, the details are kept very secret).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...