Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
BallaDoc

Ramsey marina meeting tonight

Well over £300k across a very, very few offices in Ramsey Town Hall.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Actually the population of Ramsey was 7,845 in the 2016 Census.  Are you sure it's there you're living? :P

(Which isn't to say that there aren't some excessive salaries in local government for the size of the community or the job.  But norms are set by what central government pays and, unlike those for say bus drivers, the details are kept very secret).

My bad (typo) ! 

It looks better value when you put an 8 instead of a 3. 

The library staff costs are £100,000 across 1x full time and 4 part time staff apparently.

How many positions are you suggesting that £300k is across?

49 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

The library staff costs are £100,000 across 1x full time and 4 part time staff apparently.

How many positions are you suggesting that £300k is across?

There's a Town Clerk that accounts for well over 1/3rd of that alone. Then a full time deputy. And a couple of other town hall officers too. Easily £300k. That's before the rest of the town hall rank-and-file.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo

Or maybe, rather than picking figures from the air, people could look at the Accounts.  As it happens Ramsey's are pretty detailed compared to some.  Town Clerk is on £50-75k according to them.

Edited to add: Those are for 2017-18, I presume the 2018-19 will be available fairly soon.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Or maybe, rather than picking figures from the air, people could look at the Accounts.  As it happens Ramsey's are pretty detailed compared to some.  Town Clerk is on £50-75k according to them.

Edited to add: Those are for 2017-18, I presume the 2018-19 will be available fairly soon.

Try this as benchmark: 

Salary-Scales-2018-19.pdf

34 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes, the accounting is all very cosy. Lots of money owed to central government and the odd loan to MUA, plus 1.3 million in the bank and, if I'm not mistaken, a pension deficit. All very prim and proper. No different to any other local authority.

41 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

There are extras, Roger.....that's the basics.

19 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

There are extras, Roger.....that's the basics.

The audited accounts mention "remuneration" a term which usually encompasses the total value of the package.

Are you saying that the accounts are wrong? And what are these extras of which you speak?

On 7/23/2019 at 10:52 AM, Derek Flint said:

I've lived in Ramsey for over 20 years. It does have some real plusses. Park is magnificent, a few decent restaurants (Vellikas, JP's and Riva seems to be coming back to form from what I've heard) Milntown nearby which is always good for lunch, and no shortage of places to go for a brew. Great for cycling too - out of the door and on to some of the least used roads on the Island. 

What does continually grip me though, is the cost of running the place. I am still deeply annoyed at a 10% rates increase, and some of the salaries rumoured to be paid in the Commissioners, for a village hamlet of 3500 people is not helping. But as you know, I'm not a fan of the micro-feifdom system that prevails in any case.

Lots of good bits, but could still do better. 

I take it you moved to Ramsey from England by your description of it as a hamlet? I've lived in a few places around the world and discovered that the downplaying of settlements is a particularly English pastime,  along with using a fork the wrong way around and being security conscious. It's very interesting how different countries have different traits like that. The Scots for example have different ones despite their proximity,  Americans wildly different ones despite the shared heritage and the list goes on...

• Like 2

On 7/23/2019 at 10:52 AM, Derek Flint said:

for a village hamlet of 3500 people 

Derek, Derek, fact check! Exaggeration, even for effect, is never a good thing.

2016 census population is 150 light of 9,000.

Given it is a fully functioning housing authority, with £50 million worth of housing to administer, runs a library, and a park, none of which anywhere in U.K. with similar population would operate the figures aren’t bad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Derek, Derek, fact check! Exaggeration, even for effect, is never a good thing.

2016 census population is 150 light of 9,000.

Given it is a fully functioning housing authority, with £50 million worth of housing to administer, runs a library, and a park, none of which anywhere in U.K. with similar population would operate the figures aren’t bad.

Yep, I noted that earlier. Had meant to type 8 instead of 3 so even with that I was still wrong!

its still costing too much to run. I do place some of the blame at the feet of Governemnt, who keep offloading services off onto the LA’s 

i still believe, with a total population of say 85k, corralled into 227 sq miles, we don’t need 22 or so local authorities. We could achieve better economies with just one. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Try flying over the Island and viewing the place from up there like what that @Stu Peters on the radio does. He tells us there is loads and loads of space for more houses. Loads.

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

Try flying over the Island and viewing the place from up there like what that @Stu Peters on the radio does. He tells us there is loads and loads of space for more houses. Loads.

Stu is certainly institutionalised into his de facto Government job. He even spends like them - buying an aeroplane and paying for pilot training to defend a point of view when he could have downloaded Google Earth for nothing. 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Chris C said:

Stu is certainly institutionalised into his de facto Government job. He even spends like them - buying an aeroplane and paying for pilot training to defend a point of view when he could have downloaded Google Earth for nothing. 

Stu has been flying for many years. No connection to his radio job. Get a life and think about what you are saying. Idiot.