Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
BallaDoc

Ramsey marina meeting tonight

12 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Stu has been flying for many years. No connection to his radio job. Get a life and think about what you are saying. Idiot.

Since 1985 Dilli. And I don't own an aeroplane, but let's not allow the facts to get in the way of blind prejudice...

• Like 3

To be fair, you don't need an aeroplane to see that there's lots of fields and that not built on yet. As Chris C says - use Google earth.

19 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Since 1985 Dilli. And I don't own an aeroplane, but let's not allow the facts to get in the way of blind prejudice...

Ah Blind Prejudice.  1922 - 1954. A legend on the Mississippi delta

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Chris C said:

Come on fellas,  surely you know an attempt at humour when you see one !?

Must try harder.

On 7/24/2019 at 7:29 PM, Derek Flint said:

I still believe, with a total population of say 85k, corralled into 227 sq miles, we don’t need 22 or so local authorities. We could achieve better economies with just one. 

That can surely only be a guess given that there is no definitive evidence to suggest or reason to believe that 1 is the optimum number. It might be that different places have different needs - or that there is an optimal team or account size. Or that certain places work better than others because of the people involved. Perhaps 2 is the optimum number. Or 4. Or 6. With some services shared. Surely you're guessing when you say it's definitely 1.

Perhaps the best is to encourage or to be open to a natural process of gradually merging organically and by choice. It's not really a major issue anyhow - these economies you speak of. I'm not convinced of this constant need to change things which work reasonably well. Are you thinking of standing for election?

(Some used to simplistically argue here that rural areas should pay Douglas rates because so many visit every day to work and therefore should share the costs. But Douglas already benefits from the business rates - which are not spent in relatively more rural areas).

• Like 3

Merging won't happen, certainly not in many lifetimes. Far too many vested interests. It would/will be continually derailed and delayed.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

It pretty much looks like it was sarcasm and not prejudice. He basically compared you to the Saudi Air Force. 

Merging is a dreadful idea, each village or town is unique.  Onchan is a village and our Commissioners do a decent job, why should we merge because others cannot manage their money.    We have a lovely park, library, play areas,and a good housing stock in very good condition, also a great refuse service.   Merging would end up with institutionalised sameness controlled by high paid civil servants with pensions to match and local people having no say in how things are run.   In Onchan the Commissioners are very approachable and the people who work in the office very helpful.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Merging is a dreadful idea, each village or town is unique.  Onchan is a village and our Commissioners do a decent job, why should we merge because others cannot manage their money.    We have a lovely park, library, play areas,and a good housing stock in very good condition, also a great refuse service.   Merging would end up with institutionalised sameness controlled by high paid civil servants with pensions to match and local people having no say in how things are run.   In Onchan the Commissioners are very approachable and the people who work in the office very helpful.  

That is a remarkably positive take on Onchan Commissioners considering some of what has been posted on here the last few years. How much did they end up forking out to sack their clerk again?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

That is a remarkably positive take on Onchan Commissioners considering some of what has been posted on here the last few years. How much did they end up forking out to sack their clerk again?

Most of them unemployable crooks. 

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Most of them unemployable crooks. 

Bit harsh and a tad libellous..

• Like 2

On 7/25/2019 at 9:06 PM, pongo said:

That can surely only be a guess given that there is no definitive evidence to suggest or reason to believe that 1 is the optimum number. It might be that different places have different needs - or that there is an optimal team or account size. Or that certain places work better than others because of the people involved. Perhaps 2 is the optimum number. Or 4. Or 6. With some services shared. Surely you're guessing when you say it's definitely 1.

Perhaps the best is to encourage or to be open to a natural process of gradually merging organically and by choice. It's not really a major issue anyhow - these economies you speak of. I'm not convinced of this constant need to change things which work reasonably well. Are you thinking of standing for election?

(Some used to simplistically argue here that rural areas should pay Douglas rates because so many visit every day to work and therefore should share the costs. But Douglas already benefits from the business rates - which are not spent in relatively more rural areas).

There are economies of scale in one LA, if there does in fact need to be a political subset below ‘national’ Government in a place this size. There can still be local representation as per panels of commissioners, but with the imposition of a national rate, we might end up with a more balanced equity for Island residents. It’s a nonsense that I am hammered for my rates propping up Ramsey Town, when someone equidistant from the centre of it in Lezayre or Maughold pays much less.

and I’m not voting for election. Firstly, can you see anyone voting for my manifesto? Secondly, I couldn’t stand for a local election as it would be pure hypocrisy, as I don’t believe in its structure. Thirdly, after watching the struggles of the likes of Lawrie in Tynwald, trying to hold people to account and move things on, there is absolutely no point in standing nationally in 2021

On 7/26/2019 at 1:58 PM, Neil Down said:

Bit harsh and a tad libellous..

Feel free to sue me then. You’re not that familiar with the concept of libel are you? If you were you might realize that nothing I posted could even vaguely be construed as libelous. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight