Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
BallaDoc

Ramsey marina meeting tonight

33 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Martin's proposal was for a site between Santon and the airport. Sam Alder was behind the Hillberry idea, not a bad one in my opinion.

Apologies for the inaccuracy of both Walter Mitty characters and locations....

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Uhtred said:

We’ll be saying exactly the same thing on both occasions - and you know very well what that is...don’t you?

I see one of three options:

1) We end up with a beautiful marina, the envy of the rest of the silt-plagued Island

2) A half finished job, begging for Govt funding because the original financing proposals were laughable

3) No marina at all and a bunch of marine Mike Proffits waltzing off into the sunset with bulging accounts whilst our great and good wring their hands and promise that "lessons will be learned"

Please place wagers according to your own opinions but any other option suggestions freely welcomed.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

1) We end up with a beautiful marina, the envy of the rest of the silt-plagued Island

2) A half finished job, begging for Govt funding because the original financing proposals were laughable

3) No marina at all and a bunch of marine Mike Proffits waltzing off into the sunset with bulging accounts whilst our great and good wring their hands and promise that "lessons will be learned"

Please place wagers according to your own opinions but any other option suggestions freely welcomed.

There’s a fourth option....

Absolutely sweet FA.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Uhtred said:

There’s a fourth option....

Absolutely sweet FA. + £100m lighter

Just for accuracy

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

4) iomg step in and it costs £350m........

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

There was a post on fb earlier that said there was something in the pink book, £250000 for marina plans in Ramsey.

There is indeed an item in the current Pink Book which earmarks £250,000 for "design fees for non-tidal marina development".  It is mentioned in several places.  Does anyone know what this is, or which marina it refers to?  It probably doesn't refer to Ramsey Marina, but you never know, and it is rather sloppy accountancy to have an item of this magnitude in the budget but with insufficient information to identify what it is. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, BallaDoc said:

There is indeed an item in the current Pink Book which earmarks £250,000 for "design fees for non-tidal marina development".  It is mentioned in several places.  Does anyone know what this is, or which marina it refers to?  It probably doesn't refer to Ramsey Marina, but you never know, and it is rather sloppy accountancy to have an item of this magnitude in the budget but with insufficient information to identify what it is. 

What? Something I read on fb was true? Amazing.

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

probably posted in error, it'll have been removed by now... :P

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Monkeys...typewriters...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Slight change of subject, just looking at the picture in the Manx Radio news report. What's the score with the Mountain View Innovation Centre these days? 

This was the Isle of Man Film Studios place that cost and lost a fortune. Last time I was up there a load of Manx 'Filmies' (people who are afraid of real work and know a free meal when they smell one and money for nothing to boot), were leeching about the place. It should have been a wonderful facility for the Isle of Man Film Industry but it inevitably (see previous sentence) failed.

It's a big place. It could be used to build airships like what nearly happened 40 years ago. I'm not sure if there is a market for airships but I'm not sure they knew back in the 1970s either.

201-01-18-17624.thumb.jpg.7072a10bf7f33905dd6ff25e53982b6a.jpg

Edited by gettafa

43 minutes ago, gettafa said:

It should have been a wonderful facility for the Isle of Man Film Industry

as long as it didn't rain.......

14 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

My Option #4 is that the apartments get built and the marina not at all...

• Like 1

Just imagine this as a housing estate etc

251078.jpg

The more you think about it the more ambitious and unlikely it becomes.

• Like 2