Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
BallaDoc

Ramsey marina meeting tonight

Remarkable that the only deep natural harbour on the iom hasn’t got a marina.

TBH Port Erin with a stream of yachty ‘when i’s’ would be unbearable. Ramsey can have em. 

• Like 1

Port Erin would be far more convenient for the yacht-importation of drugs though. Just shipping it in direct to the users. :lol:

• Like 2

why don't they just moor the yachts on the pier........

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Just imagine this as a housing estate etc

251078.jpg

The more you think about it the more ambitious and unlikely it becomes.

Do like DFe and don't think about it. This could be twinned with the airport gateway ya know. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, gettafa said:

Slight change of subject, just looking at the picture in the Manx Radio news report. What's the score with the Mountain View Innovation Centre these days? 

This was the Isle of Man Film Studios place that cost and lost a fortune. Last time I was up there a load of Manx 'Filmies' (people who are afraid of real work and know a free meal when they smell one and money for nothing to boot), were leeching about the place. It should have been a wonderful facility for the Isle of Man Film Industry but it inevitably (see previous sentence) failed.

It's a big place. It could be used to build airships like what nearly happened 40 years ago. I'm not sure if there is a market for airships but I'm not sure they knew back in the 1970s either.

201-01-18-17624.thumb.jpg.7072a10bf7f33905dd6ff25e53982b6a.jpg

Not to mention Jurby’s international space station heritage. 

For all interested, well worth a look,

MTTV interviews:

And one of the audience:

FUNDING!!! Where's the money coming from?!! 

Very little mention in the videos.

The promoter admitted in the interview the annual berthing fees would only be around £1.2m.

Web site says cost £100m  for the project. Web site says 200 flats. 

Sales revenue at £150k each is £30m max. Says it would be a phased build, so that £30m doesn't come back quickly. 

Where's the other £70m coming from???

It doesn't stack up, I won't be investing. I'm out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

And one of the audience:

Isle of Man Panic Page would be proud to post that picture.:lol:

• Haha 2

EVF are promoting national pie week.

Maybe it should be renamed locally as " Pie in the sky " week

7 hours ago, Gizo said:

Remarkable that the only deep natural harbour on the iom hasn’t got a marina.

TBH Port Erin with a stream of yachty ‘when i’s’ would be unbearable. Ramsey can have em. 

You'd sort of think that rebuilding Port Erin's failed breakwater would be a good idea. It only lasted 20 years last time, but with the use of modern concrete it might stand a better chance. I was reading about it and other harbour works on the manx notebook, things were kind of thrown up quickly on rubble foundations and people were surprised when the weather tore them down. Douglas had lots of problems with this too.

This great marine work, lying in great part in deep water and exposed to the full force of the heavy storms which, throughout the winter and occasionally even in summer, rage along the west coasts of the Island, was not completed without undergoing its full share of the disasters which have so often befallen the Insular harbour works during their construction. In February, 1868, it was visited by a succession of severe gales, which washed away a considerable part of the timber piles and staging, and did great damage also to the rubble foundation. The full extent of the damage thus done to the body of the breakwater was not known for some time; but, as the weather became less stormy, more accurate soundings were taken, and it was ascertained that, in addition to other damage, seven or eight feet of the rubble foundation had been washed away, and that it would require at least £12,000 to repair the damage done.

Many more warnings from history here http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/fulltext/bd1881/p077.htm

17 hours ago, gettafa said:

Slight change of subject, just looking at the picture in the Manx Radio news report. What's the score with the Mountain View Innovation Centre these days? 

This was the Isle of Man Film Studios place that cost and lost a fortune. Last time I was up there a load of Manx 'Filmies' (people who are afraid of real work and know a free meal when they smell one and money for nothing to boot), were leeching about the place. It should have been a wonderful facility for the Isle of Man Film Industry but it inevitably (see previous sentence) failed.

It's a big place. It could be used to build airships like what nearly happened 40 years ago. I'm not sure if there is a market for airships but I'm not sure they knew back in the 1970s either.

201-01-18-17624.thumb.jpg.7072a10bf7f33905dd6ff25e53982b6a.jpg

Bought lock stock etc. by David Dorricot. He has gone on to spend a fortune on it. Using it as a tech business incubator. Loads more potential, and DD isn’t short of vision, or money. 

Its a nice place to be, and will only continue to benefit the North.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Bought lock stock etc. by David Dorricot. He has gone on to spend a fortune on it. Using it as a tech business incubator. Loads more potential, and DD isn’t short of vision, or money. 

Its a nice place to be, and will only continue to benefit the North.

as long as it doesn't rain........

9 hours ago, dilligaf said:

EVF are promoting national pie week.

Maybe it should be renamed locally as " Pie in the sky " week

Yes, there was a fair bit of pie eating going on. They're hungry souls up there in Ramsey.

15 hours ago, woody2 said:

why don't they just moor the yachts on the pier........

Because they wouldn't spend a million and a half on it 20 years ago when we were absolutely loaded and couldn't blow money fast enough.