Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
BallaDoc

Ramsey marina meeting tonight

29 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

No wonder the Island is stale with lack of investment, there are always some nimbys who oppose everything and anything.   I bet not many of the objectors have been near that bit of beach for years...so sad but predictable.   All the usual sad suspects sounding off if their mouths were sewn up they would be half sensible.

Do you honestly believe boaties are gonna come here in droves to windy rainy Ramsey and pay to tie up their boats ?

I like Ramsey, unlike most of the population and this sort of speculative project will do nothing for the place as it will never be completed, if even started.

Do the sums. There are no money trees being planted either.

47 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

the poster B4mbi (sp) , I think it was explained a few facts to show that the marina thing could not be financially viable

That indeed was my assessment. 

Laughable the hysteria about this from the nimbys. The promoters don't even own the land, haven't put in for planning permission and haven't issued a credible business plan with financials that stack up!! 

The only way this is happening is an exceedly wealthy benefactor who doesn't mind burning £75m for no return. I can count the number of those around on the fingers of Jamie Lannister's right hand.

Private equity won't touch it unless promoters prove they can make 12%++ p.a.

And Government won't throw endless millions at it either. They may facilitate it perhaps somehow, but definitely won't underwrite it financially.

• Thanks 1

Having said all that, if they can somehow make it work (without substantial government cash) I'd be all for it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

That indeed was my assessment. 

Laughable the hysteria about this from the nimbys. The promoters don't even own the land, haven't put in for planning permission and haven't issued a credible business plan with financials that stack up!! 

The only way this is happening is an exceedly wealthy benefactor who doesn't mind burning £75m for no return. I can count the number of those around on the fingers of Jamie Lannister's right hand.

Private equity won't touch it unless promoters prove they can make 12%++ p.a.

And Government won't throw endless millions at it either. They may facilitate it perhaps somehow, but definitely won't underwrite it financially.

Also consider that many people can't understand why we can't have a Disney World theme park over here, or a full sized race circuit, cruise terminals, wind turbines, tidal power set ups....……………………..and still pay next to nothing in tax :lol:

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

Also consider that many people can't understand why we can't have a Disney World theme park over here, or a full sized race circuit, cruise terminals, wind turbines, tidal power set ups....……………………..and still pay next to nothing in tax :lol:

We don't pay next to nothing in tax, or at least most of us don't. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chris C said:
6 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

We don't pay next to nothing in tax, or at least most of us don't. 

So a high rate of 20 % is not low ???????

12 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

It's all the other crafty one's that add up!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

It is. However I and a vast majority of other people don't earn enough to be paying the higher rate in other countries anyway. So the saving is modest. 

1 minute ago, finlo said:
4 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

It's all the other crafty one's that add up!

Same everywhere. The IOM is still low tax. Thankfully.

1 minute ago, Chris C said:
6 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

It is. However I and a vast majority of other people don't earn enough to be paying the higher rate in other countries anyway. So the saving is modest. 

Really ?

11 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Unless you're very wealthy there is no longer any financial advantage to living here.

• Thanks 1

Yes. Take England, Wales and NI for example. To be paying more than 20% tax you would have to be earning (as a single person) £12.5K personal allowance plus £37.5K (£50K in total) and even then you would only pay over 20% on your earnings over £50K.

I and a vast majority of people on the island don't make that sort of money so make no savings at all from the higher tax rate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, finlo said:
5 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Unless you're very wealthy there is no longer any financial advantage to living here.

Nor should there ever have been.

We live here because we love the island for what it is and it's way of life.

We don't need or even want the economic dwellers.

I would happily live with reduced services without all these financial immigrants calling the shots.

• Like 2

Don't get me wrong, there are savings made here in comparison,  in the 10% band for example and greater personal allowance. But these are fairly modest and are soon offset elsewhere. So to say we pay next to nothing in tax is just not true. Unless you're loaded that is.