Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
BallaDoc

Ramsey marina meeting tonight

9 minutes ago, Chris C said:

Don't get me wrong, there are savings made here in comparison,  in the 10% band for example and greater personal allowance. But these are fairly modest and are soon offset elsewhere. So to say we pay next to nothing in tax is just not true. Unless you're loaded that is.

I was comparing our rate to many strong economies in Europe. I hate paying any tax, but realise that we must and that what we pay is far less than many other countries.

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

I was comparing our rate to many strong economies in Europe. I hate paying any tax, but realise that we must and that what we pay is far less than many other countries.

It isn't though, unless you are earning loads. See my previous example.  The modest savings which are all that are available to all but a few here are soon offset and more by other costs of living here.

We may be a low tax jurisdiction,  but not for the likes of you and me fella. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Chris C said:

It isn't though, unless you are earning loads. See my previous example.  The modest savings which are all that are available to all but a few here are soon offset and more by other costs of living here.

We may be a low tax jurisdiction,  but not for the likes of you and me fella. 

I could, but don't want to , live anywhere else. Born here, schooled here, worked here, married here and still here. Love it.

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I could, but don't want to , live anywhere else. Born here, schooled here, worked here, married here and still here. Love it.

Good on ya. Just don't let the bastards tell ya you're paying little in tax, it's not true. It's the ones who can most afford it that the tax breaks are for.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Chris C said:

Good on ya. Just don't let the bastards tell ya you're paying little in tax, it's not true. It's the ones who can most afford it that the tax breaks are for.

I think it was Stu Peters who concluded that something like 97% of all we earn ends up clawed back as tax!

3 minutes ago, finlo said:
11 minutes ago, Chris C said:

I think it was Stu Peters who concluded that something like 97% of all we earn ends up clawed back as tax!

So I am left with just £90,000 for myself :o

12 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

So I am left with just £90,000 for myself :o

Ha ha, but the reality remains that we get taxed multiple times on our incomes.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, finlo said:

But that is just life. It is the same no matter where you live.

That's why it is better to produce local and buy local where you can. keep all these taxes here.

Edited by dilligaf

11 minutes ago, finlo said:

Very true, what with VAT NI etc etc it's never ending 

11 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

But that is just life. It is the same no matter where you live.

That's why it is better to produce local and buy local where you can. keep all these taxes here.

Says Tesco's biggest fan. 

• Haha 2

I don't feel very low-taxed.

Says he looking at his +10%-on-last-year Rates Demand.

And a motorcycle tax disc with £80 on it. Which is £22 more than the car tax which is for an engine twice the size and twice as many wheels and umpteen times as heavy.

But knowing Howie's got the reins makes it all worthwhile.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Chris C said:

Don't get me wrong, there are savings made here in comparison,  in the 10% band for example and greater personal allowance. But these are fairly modest and are soon offset elsewhere. So to say we pay next to nothing in tax is just not true. Unless you're loaded that is.

That’s not strictly true. I notice that locate.im has craftily removed NI from its online tax calculator because then it would be abundantly clear to anyone doing a comparison on take home pay that it’s actully worse being in the IOM under about £25k of earnings. The 10% band masts the fact that in the UK you’d still be better off on a net basis after all taxes and allowances than moving to the IOM. I hope we’re not luring people here under false pretenses. 

Edited by MrPB
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I don't feel very low-taxed.

Says he looking at his +10%-on-last-year Rates Demand.

And a motorcycle tax disc with £80 on it. Which is £22 more than the car tax which is for an engine twice the size and twice as many wheels and umpteen times as heavy.

But knowing Howie's got the reins makes it all worthwhile.

Your motorbike tax is not expensive, it’s your car tax that is too cheap and subsidised by others.

the only marina ramsey will be getting........

morris-marina-uk-1977b.jpg.34c01196f87fa349c4fb9f0ae53c27be.jpg

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, finlo said:

its 3 transactions.......you earn it........you spend it........next person gets it =97% back to gov...........