Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
BallaDoc

Ramsey marina meeting tonight

22 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Your motorbike tax is not expensive, it’s your car tax that is too cheap and subsidised by others.

That makes me feel a whole lot better. What about me Rates...? :lol:

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

That makes me feel a whole lot better. What about me Rates...? :lol:

Dilli is right, my car tax is £410 :( However, a quick look online and I think I would be paying £555 in the UK! 

12 minutes ago, Kitten Mittens said:

Dilli is right, my car tax is £410 :( However, a quick look online and I think I would be paying £555 in the UK! 

Ah, but how many 1000s of miles of roads would you have the use of in the UK?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Ah, but how many 1000s of miles of roads would you have the use of in the UK?

I've never really thought it of it like that before! 

I pay the same as you and only do 20 miles a week.......bloody expensive but good fun.

However low mileage is never taken into account in the pollution calculation typically.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Chris C said:

Yes. Take England, Wales and NI for example. To be paying more than 20% tax you would have to be earning (as a single person) £12.5K personal allowance plus £37.5K (£50K in total) and even then you would only pay over 20% on your earnings over £50K.

I and a vast majority of people on the island don't make that sort of money so make no savings at all from the higher tax rate.

The 100% transferable allowance between couples here is worth having if only one is earning. It is true though that the greatest savings are for the rich. Earn £10 million a year in UK pay half of it in tax. Here? £150k. Big difference. But no sir, we're not a tax haven. No, no, no!

Edited by woolley
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

I pay the same as you and only do 20 miles a week.......bloody expensive but good fun.

However low mileage is never taken into account in the pollution calculation typically.

a single plane flight puts out the same pollution as a years driving.........note the tax difference........

road tax is nothing to do with pollution.......

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, woody2 said:

a single plane flight puts out the same pollution as a years driving.........note the tax difference........

road tax is nothing to do with pollution.......

It's bandied about as that though, and we all know where the money really goes!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Stick the car/road tax on fuel then you get a much fairer but more unpopular tax on emissions.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, finlo said:

It's bandied about as that though, and we all know where the money really goes!

P, P, P,  ....Pick up a Pension!

• Like 1

What has car tax got to do with the knob heads who are opposing the Marina....because they can and they are short of something to do.

Just the thread meandering a bit. Over the subject of where the money's coming from and where it's going.

4 hours ago, woolley said:

The 100% transferable allowance between couples here is worth having if only one is earning. 

That pretty much saved us when my kids were young. 

• Like 1

Well....duty rumour (albeit very much to be confirmed at this stage) around the jewel of the North is that the Marina proposal is, er, sunk.

'Tis said that the finances were somewhat less realistic than first mooted (surprise) and the proposers approached Govt for @ £20M to get it on a footing, though it's not clear whether it was on a loan basis or a grant. Govt however have seen fit to turn it down on whatever grounds.

Watch this space....

• Like 2

That'll be a pretty popular decision by our leaders I'd think. Most people I spoke to about it were ambivalent at best, and some were furiously against it. 

They should have a go at rebuilding Port Erin's smashed breakwater and putting their 24hr access marina there. 

• Like 5