Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
maynragh

Emotional Blackmail as Politics - Charity as Politics

Apparently 'Comic Relief' is upon us. I have to admit to having mixed feelings about charity 'events' such as this - and indeed all forms of targeted charity fund raising - for some time. I am not against the principle of charity at all, however there seems to be an increasingly 'political' purpose in the post 'Band Aid' era. This morning I caught a snippet of a radio show which was raising money for Comic Relief - full of the now standard emotionally loaded content about how they are raising money for 'vital' services - you know, the sort of services some would say a government should provide. Last night it was the 'Stand Up 2 Cancer' GBBO - all use the same model now. 

During the bit I caught on the radio this morning the presenters were introducing a short clip of a pre-recorded joke by another famous. Prior to playing the clip there was some jovial speculation as to whether this famous was a 'Sir', at which point one of the presenters realised this was probably not a good topic to pursue and moved swiftly on - because of course the famous in question is famously not a 'Sir' due to the much publicised discovery they had been investing in tax avoidance schemes. Which sort of crystallises the problem for me. If we lived in a more equitable society where people such as this were not permitted to avoid taxation there would be no need for emotional blackmail to fund 'vital' services - and for them to have the bare faced cheek to support it. There was a later snippet where the same presenters were opening joking about whether they were being paid for this particular 'charity' broadcast, which again was quickly swept under the rug. However it sort of got me thinking...

If you wanted to create a broadcast event such as 'Band Aid' or 'Save the Children' or 'Comic Relief', but you wanted to have it focused on encouraging people to pay taxes equitably in order to fund the same objectives that would be viewed as a political broadcast wouldn't it? So why is the reverse not true? Pushing society to the point where services we are told are 'vital' are only funded by voluntary choice is fundamentally a political message isn't it? 

• Like 1

I agree with all that. These 'charity spectaculars' seem more about 'virtue signalling' than anything, and as others have opined it's somewhat ironic having millionaire celebrities who avoid taxes imploring the great unwashed to dig deep.

The point about governments providing these essential services is philosophically sound, but in practice any additional revenues would more likely be spent on maintaining the differential between the 1% (and their acolytes) and the rest of us.

Yeh, I stupidly agreed to pay £1 to charity via my bank card when I was in one of the Strand Street stores. I only asked afterwards which charity it was as I was a bit absent minded at the time. I think had I asked first, I'd have said no. I don't consider Comic Relief a legitimate charity.

15 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

I stupidly

:rolleyes:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 8:52 PM, Rushen Spy said:

I don't consider Comic Relief a legitimate charity.

Just like the Joey Dunlop foundation then.

8 hours ago, display name said:

Just like the Joey Dunlop foundation then.

I don't know anything about that foundation so I cannot comment.

6 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

I don't know anything about that foundation so I cannot comment.

It burns rubber!

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 8:52 PM, Rushen Spy said:

Yeh, I stupidly agreed to pay £1 to charity via my bank card when I was in one of the Strand Street stores. I only asked afterwards which charity it was as I was a bit absent minded at the time. I think had I asked first, I'd have said no. I don't consider Comic Relief a legitimate charity.

Any "charity" that can pay out salaries in excess of £15m per year is not getting a penny of my money. Support local charities, you know it makes sense.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

BBC Panorama exposes BBC Comic Relief.          lol

Almost as if they are two separate parts of a much larger organisation.  Crazy I know.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, RIchard Britten said:

Almost as if they are two separate parts of a much larger organisation.  Crazy I know.

Yes, crazy that such an organisation is so large and hasn't been shut down or forced to trim its cloth and become a private sector operator. I guess the government has to maintain its state mouthpiece, just like the media in the Isle of Man.

Edited by Rushen Spy

6 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Yes, crazy that such an organisation is so large and hasn't been shut down or forced to trim its cloth and become a private sector operator. I guess the government has to maintain its state mouthpiece, just like the media in the Isle of Man.

What does the Gov pay for the BBC ( TV broadcasting Co, before the giggling starts )

9 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

What does the Gov pay for the BBC ( TV broadcasting Co, before the giggling starts )

The BBC is the government.