Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
hissingsid

Blacksmith gets boot

It seems a great shame that this man is being moved on.   Seems his only vice was being Manx, stubbon bit bloody minded, but such a character and was valued by the tourists for being different.   Also, not costing any money.    Manx Heritage seems to be getting a bit high handed and should remember they are not an essential service and if cuts come they could possibly be first to face the sword.

For context

NEWS FLASH, Despite our being the only Blacksmith and Foundry on the Isle of Man, the Dept of Infrastructure in its infinite wisdom has decided in favour of the Laxey And Lonan Heritage Trust and given us our eviction notice for November this year, you can read all about it in the 12th March Isle of Man Examiner. BUT DONT PANIC, All Our Manx Castings, TT sports Memorabilia and other stuff can be purchased on our LAXEYBLACKSMITH WEBSITE, or you can phone us on 07624 433371 for more information, I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all our customers and friends Past, Present and those in the future. What this also means, as we are relocating,all the blacksmith horse drawn ploughs and blacksmithing equipment is for sale and will go for sensible offers, also all the bits and bobs we have collected in the workshop. Thank you. Al Laxeyblacksmith

https://www.facebook.com/laxeyblacksmith/

2 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

always thought that place would make a good costa.

Or a KFC

Hope they were paying suitable dues to Skelly's Heroes for the use of TT on merchandise.

If not, they should be closed down as proposed and all assets disposed of to fund the pension legacy.

By order. :whatever:

• Haha 3

From what I have read so far, I am assuming the Blacksmiths building in Laxey is owned by us hardworking taxpayers? I also assume that a tender or expression of interest exercise took place? Was the tender for a blacksmiths service or merely the premises being hived off? I’m also struggling to see where Laxey and Lonan Heritage Trust fit in?

Cut and thrust of IOMG playing at business. Sad really.

• Thanks 1

Hmm. Man operates business for 20+ years in a building that he doesn't own and over which he refuses to sign a lease agreement, and is paying rent at well below what could be achieved.

What would you do as owner of the property?

I do have sympathy with him, but it doesn't sound like he's been overly co-operative in trying to find amicable solution..

Why would owner fix/maintain premises without written lease agreement about who's responsible for what?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

Hmm. Man operates business for 20+ years in a building that he doesn't own and over which he refuses to sign a lease agreement, and is paying rent at well below what could be achieved.

What would you do as owner of the property?

I do have sympathy with him, but it doesn't sound like he's been overly co-operative in trying to find amicable solution..

Why would owner fix/maintain premises without written lease agreement about who's responsible for what?

Always two sides to a story.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=47235&headline=Evicted: Hammer blow for village's smithy&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2019

Even 25 years ago £100 +VAT a month was a low rent. Why has the DoI allowed this to drift on for so long.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Always two sides to a story.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=47235&headline=Evicted: Hammer blow for village's smithy&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2019

Even 25 years ago £100 +VAT a month was a low rent. Why has the DoI allowed this to drift on for so long.

Always was always will be- civil servants don’t manage the public purse well. Government should not be involved in renting sheds to blacksmiths. The Island is still in the 1970s in this regard and it wastes millions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Why is it needed for the MER? Seems to have managed without for over 120 years and the service intensity today is a shadow of the peak. Don't believe it.

• Thanks 1

Refuses to sign a lease and then moans when he gets kicked out? 

• Like 1

I though it said he signed a lease last year....anyway why not just increase his rent, no need to be so draconian then if he refused fair play.   Typical Government.