Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
hissingsid

NSC

27 minutes ago, maynragh said:

I have experience in construction, so yes I fully understand how those things happen. I also understand the difference between truly unforeseen (actually fairly rare), and merely 'can't be bothered' to foresee, or worse 'not in my interest' to foresee (producing the vast majority of additional costs and delays in most construction projects). Even a bog standard construction contract like a JCT covers contractor caused and employer caused delays - and the cost consequences of each. Given what has been stated about the NSC delays already it seems fairly clear it's one of those - either required specification not correctly relayed by government, and or then managed by the main contractor. If the contractor dropped the ball then presumably it will cost them, if the department dropped the ball it will cost us - but does anyone know which of those it is, and what form of contract they use?

speak to Mr Cretiney, he's the contracts king...

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Neil Down said:

speak to Mr Cretiney, he's the contracts king...

Cretiney or Cretney?

Cretney was heavily involved in the EFW contract wasn't he. I have a copy of that one and it's decidedly not in our favour. 

It should be possible to FOI the contracts for things like the NSC and the promenade as the two current examples, I just wondered if anyone knew what form they took.

3 minutes ago, maynragh said:

Cretiney or Cretney?

Cretney was heavily involved in the EFW contract wasn't he. I have a copy of that one and it's decidedly not in our favour. 

It should be possible to FOI the contracts for things like the NSC and the promenade as the two current examples, I just wondered if anyone knew what form they took.

:flowers:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billy One Mate said:

Government have gone away from the JCT form of contract in most instances and use the NEC3 form of contract. 

A quick google indicates NEC3 would cover much the same ground - performance bonds, low performance damages, limits on liability and compensation events all nice and clear. 

So it should be pretty easy for the government to clarify who exactly is going to carry the can for this right?

27 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

Well, I can honestly say this project now qualifies officially for a WTAF?! 

I've seen whole bloody waterparks in Spain built in less time....and yes, quality builds too.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/nsc-flumes-not-yet-opened/

Jon Moss yet again proving he’s an automaton. 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2019 at 10:55 PM, maynragh said:

A quick google indicates NEC3 would cover much the same ground - performance bonds, low performance damages, limits on liability and compensation events all nice and clear. 

So it should be pretty easy for the government to clarify who exactly is going to carry the can for this right?

Absolutely spot on but I’m afraid Joe Public will never be told the truth and if anybody actually took the time to ask ‘commerciality’ would be brought to the fore to keep it all hidden.

If anyone is going to Turkey on one of these budget holidays perhaps they could bring the flumes back with them, obviously they would have to be dismantled and then put together again but it is just a thought, perhaps a few MHKs could go I can think of a few that would not be missed.

6 hours ago, Billy One Mate said:

Absolutely spot on but I’m afraid Joe Public will never be told the truth and if anybody actually took the time to ask ‘commerciality’ would be brought to the fore to keep it all hidden.

I'm pretty certain all IoM Government contrscts are either NEC3 or NEC4 depending on the date of the contract.

7 hours ago, Billy One Mate said:

I thought the excuse of 'commercial confidentiality' had now been expunged in this type of situation after the 'bus contract' FOIs...

Information Commissioner Iain McDonald noted: ’Public authorities are expected to be accountable and transparent where considerable expenditure is incurred. Improving public awareness of how public money is spent, and the integrity of those expenditure decisions, are drivers of the FoI Act.

’The public expects value for money - any assessment of whether public services offer value for money cannot be ascertained without knowledge of the cost.’

Same would apply here no? Or has this position been overruled since?

So word gets to me from a very reliable source that there has been an almighty fuck up. 

According to my source the adjustable floor does not work and is stuck. Therefore there is no shallow end. Also there is a centre boom down the pool which is also completely stuck which they then cannot remove for racing. Thus no official galas can be done at the pool. A upcoming gala is in jeopardy and they are sending athletes away to compete instead. 

Add this to the already flumes which don’t fit and we have the classic government clusterfuck. 

Two years more or less this debacle has been going on and no nearer being completed. I think £4m was the cost. 

A whole generation of children and parents are missing out on this and it’s a National Disgrace. 

Time some media outlets put this government to the sword and Heads should role. 

• Like 4