Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Manx Bean

Climate Change gets the Boot

just had to smile at a picture of one of the little dears in the news holding a slogan against plastic...................on a plastic number plate as a noticeboard.............oh the irony.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/12/2019 at 7:19 AM, Manx Bean said:

Well, call me cynical - but as a father of 3, I seriously can't imagine that having to get out of bed before Noon and dragging yourself into town during your School holidays, is as attractive a proposition as bunking off school for a day in term time...let's just see how serious some of our teenagers really do care about the environment..

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/manx-students-protest-plastic-problem/

Pretty sure that Mummy was waiting around the corner in the Range Rover.

17 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

just had to smile at a picture of one of the little dears in the news holding a slogan against plastic...................on a plastic number plate as a noticeboard.............oh the irony.

Considering they were protesting about the problem of discarding single use plastics into the environment and were reusing what would otherwise have been a single use plastic discarded into the environment, I think the only irony is that you have posted something trying to be clever whilst completely missing the point of a protest understood by several primary school children. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Augustus said:

Pretty sure that Mummy was waiting around the corner in the Range Rover.

Well if they're good enough for our environment minister...........

Its the manufacturers and retailers that should stop providing the single use plastics, like when fruit and veg is wrapped for no good reason

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Chris C said:

Considering they were protesting about the problem of discarding single use plastics into the environment and were reusing what would otherwise have been a single use plastic discarded into the environment, I think the only irony is that you have posted something trying to be clever whilst completely missing the point of a protest understood by several primary school children. 

What a ridiculous comment or were you trying to show your superior intellectual ability?

How on earth do you know that they were re-using an old number plate? It appeared shiny and new so my view is just as valid as yours.

If you really want to know about re-cycling then drive a second hand vehicle and keep  it for years. Store and save old wood. screws etc. Don't buy new things, repair them. Never use any plastic receptacles. Don't keep buying up to date phones. computers, etc.

This computer for instance is over fifteen years old and it's internals have been updated as necessary.

If the children had a life style that encompassed these ideals and actually understood what they are talking about I might give them and their parents more credibility.

You may sneer but when we were young we all re-cycled to survive. Have you ever taken old wooly clothes to pieces and re knit them into new garments?

In other words don't even think of putting me down, I live re-cycling and don't need folk like you to try and force  their populist ideas onto me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Good on you doc. We used to re use botles now they get smashed up! Each bottle a beauty when you think about it. Packaging in general is hideous in most cases, and the main contributor to our "waste".

The older generation always knew how to recycle and reuse. The points you made illustrate this well. If we want to get serious about recycling its time to get back to basics, and reality.

The manufacturers and the suppliers are the main culprits. Also, plastic bags are not single use , they can be re used indefinitely and for many tasks

Edited by paul's got wright
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, paul's got wright said:

Good on you doc. We used to re use botles now they get smashed up! Each bottle a beauty when you think about it. Packaging in general is hideous in most cases, and the main contributor to our "waste".

The older generation always knew how to recycle and reuse. The points you made illustrate this well. If we want to get serious about recycling its time to get back to basics, and reality.

The manufacturers and the suppliers are the main culprits. Also, plastic bags are not single use , they can be re used indefinitely and for many tasks

We had to recycle as likely or not our parents had very little excess cash to splash around

• Like 3

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

What a ridiculous comment or were you trying to show your superior intellectual ability?

How on earth do you know that they were re-using an old number plate? It appeared shiny and new so my view is just as valid as yours.

If you really want to know about re-cycling then drive a second hand vehicle and keep  it for years. Store and save old wood. screws etc. Don't buy new things, repair them. Never use any plastic receptacles. Don't keep buying up to date phones. computers, etc.

This computer for instance is over fifteen years old and it's internals have been updated as necessary.

If the children had a life style that encompassed these ideals and actually understood what they are talking about I might give them and their parents more credibility.

You may sneer but when we were young we all re-cycled to survive. Have you ever taken old wooly clothes to pieces and re knit them into new garments?

In other words don't even think of putting me down, I live re-cycling and don't need folk like you to try and force  their populist ideas onto me.

Good on you for recycling. You can't just write off a whole generation as having no idea what they're protesting about and being populist though! It's very condescending to assume that they don't have a greater understanding of the problem than you give them credit for. 

I admire your ideas and practice many of them myself, but you can't dismiss an entire global movement because they are a different generation who may have been brought up without the skills and resourfulness to live as you do. Many of them are a lot more clued up than you give them credit for. 

I really think that using China and Russia as a reason for ignoring climate change is a defeatist approach and although you maybe right about these children's lack of old school recycling know how,  and although your view may well have been formed by an understandable cynicism which comes with age, you can't knock these kids attempts at doing something about it. This is to be nurtured and encouraged,  not made fun of.

By the sound of things you aren't too far apart,  perhaps working together and complementing each other would be a more positive approach than trying to get one up on each other. 

Apologies for my earlier reply. 

Posted (edited)

Thank you .

I would rather see practical examples in their lifestyle though and then let them be publicised. Much more meaningful in my opinion.

I am not a fan of demonstrations by groups though and yes I am very, very cynical indeed and very happy to be so.

To see hypocrisy in action please read, 'The Way Home', by Mark Boyle. There just may be an awaking.

Thank you too for a reasoned reply, many on here could learn from that alone.

ps. I am not just writing off a whole generation and I agree with you that many youngsters are probably more aware than me, although, not as educated nor experienced yet, neither formally nor practically.

Hmm, that was a cumbersome sentence I hope the meaning can be understood.  hah.

pps, I taught at a Steiner school for many years as well as in state schools. I am also a formally qualified engineer and teacher and woodworker. Not blowing my own trumpet just emphasising that I do have a varied background and as with all of us am still learning even in my seventies.

May your gods go with you.

Edited by doc.fixit
  • Like 2