Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Manx Bean

Climate Change gets the Boot

3 hours ago, RIchard Britten said:

For once, you are right.  This is a forum, and you are entitled to talk about a subject (within the limits set by the boards owners).

However, and this is the bit you seem to be willfully ignoring, if you are going to post bollocks, using woo science and nonsense Youtube videos, you are going to be challenged and corrected.

I don't mind that Richard but people should stop making things personal.

Its my opinion or my presentation and if they don't like it, then they should say so about the presentation (and not the person), explain why and move on. There is a every chance that I stumble across something questionable and somehow, it usually falls back to Government increasing their powers of surveillance, powers of authority and opening the door to outside influences. Judging by what people say about the Government on here, I'd be surprised if a high quantity of forum members would totally believe what is said by them. If we all hold them in high esteem, then there should be no talk of collusion, brown envelopes, old boys club and no manipulation of outside parties against them. In other words, people trust them or  they don't. 

Personally, I like our Government for the most part but the influence of people off island will IMO, use their influence or sanctions of one sort or another will be used against them /us.

Polite and restrained response 'manxy', a refreshing change.:flowers:

2 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

The tories

they got rid of coal........

although labour shut more pits..........but they don't like to talk about it..........

• Like 1

New coal mine opening in Cumbria

IMG-20190317-WA0005.jpg

• Like 2

Hmm.

Isle of Man (from CoMin report)  47,000t CO2 annual man made emissions 

Combined EU from top 10 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47783992 = approx. 185,000,000t CO2 man made emissions (presume annual, but BBC reporting standards don't go that far)

However, looks like ALL contributory greenhouse gases are measured by CO2e (CO2 equivalent tons output per annum), the  Island's 1990 levels of emissions of which have been extrapolated backwards from a 2015 consultants report at 616,000t  (para 1.9 here)

Equivalent figure for EEA in 1990 here 5,720,000,000t

0.01% of EU greenhouse C02e emissions - on extrapolated data in 1990

Global estimate for 1990 CO2e emissions 38 Gigatons (IPCC report p42 here) or 38,000,000,000t

Isle of Man 0.0016% of global CO2e emissions. - well worth getting our knickers in a twist about.... and bear in mind IOM emissions from 1990 were probably inflated, as most of our power was generated by diesel oil then rather than much more efficient and less emitting CC Gas Turbine Generators we have currently.

Global warming and CO2 concerns and the financing of their reductions are the responsibility of poor people.

2 hours ago, b4mbi said:

Hmm.

Isle of Man (from CoMin report)  47,000t CO2 annual man made emissions 

Combined EU from top 10 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47783992 = approx. 185,000,000t CO2 man made emissions (presume annual, but BBC reporting standards don't go that far)

However, looks like ALL contributory greenhouse gases are measured by CO2e (CO2 equivalent tons output per annum), the  Island's 1990 levels of emissions of which have been extrapolated backwards from a 2015 consultants report at 616,000t  (para 1.9 here)

Equivalent figure for EEA in 1990 here 5,720,000,000t

0.01% of EU greenhouse C02e emissions - on extrapolated data in 1990

Global estimate for 1990 CO2e emissions 38 Gigatons (IPCC report p42 here) or 38,000,000,000t

Isle of Man 0.0016% of global CO2e emissions. - well worth getting our knickers in a twist about.... and bear in mind IOM emissions from 1990 were probably inflated, as most of our power was generated by diesel oil then rather than much more efficient and less emitting CC Gas Turbine Generators we have currently.

This is just a lazy mans statistic that they can hide behind and try and justify and quantify. (Bit like the Everest excuse at TT time) 

Just because we are apparently 0.0016% of global emissions doesn’t mean we can’t be doing something about it. Being proactive and being a world leader in environmental issues. That is where the IoM should be. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gizo said:

This is just a lazy mans statistic that they can hide behind and try and justify and quantify. (Bit like the Everest excuse at TT time) 

Just because we are apparently 0.0016% of global emissions doesn’t mean we can’t be doing something about it. Being proactive and being a world leader in environmental issues. That is where the IoM should be. 

Sadly the Isle of Man is a follower not a leader. For a small allegedly affluent nation we could be setting ourselves up as an example for the world daring to be different rather than blindly following along behind bleating after whatever the other isle does. 

• Like 3

Not often that I post on this forum as it is full of tossers that cannot sleep at night because they think anyone using a plastic bag is a "climate change denier"..I will say this to you..The World is coming to an end..No sense in fighting it.Do not have children that should be taken off you by social services ..We will all be dead soon so what is the point.Whatever we do on this Island will be opposed in about half a second by the rising World population ..I hope that helps Now get a fucking real job.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, SJR said:

Not often that I post on this forum as it is full of tossers that cannot sleep at night because they think anyone using a plastic bag is a "climate change denier"..I will say this to you..The World is coming to an end..No sense in fighting it.Do not have children that should be taken off you by social services ..We will all be dead soon so what is the point.Whatever we do on this Island will be opposed in about half a second by the rising World population ..I hope that helps Now get a fucking real job.

Night night "manxy"

• Haha 1

So what is it, a week? Since the woppers of the Manx Government launch a consultation to battle climate change,  and before it's even finished they jack up the price of public transport to its biggest user group by far, by an inflation busting 33 %.

They really are an unbelievable bunch of fuckwitts aren't they!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chris C said:

So what is it, a week? Since the woppers of the Manx Government launch a consultation to battle climate change,  and before it's even finished they jack up the price of public transport to its biggest user group by far, by an inflation busting 33 %.

They really are an unbelievable bunch of fuckwitts aren't they!

You mean 10p

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

You mean 10p

If you've got two kids its about £76 a year. 

Edited by TheTeapot