Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Manx Bean

Climate Change gets the Boot

12 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

15 years in terms of major infrastructure change is no time at all. 

I think you need to research what happened to Nicola Tesla!

8 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

15 years in terms of major infrastructure change is no time at all. 

And according to mua chairman response to MHKs in the link you didn't read, it could potentially last till 2050 - another 30 years.

21 hours ago, b4mbi said:

Reducing our already insubstantial  greenhouse gas emissions further will make no difference whatsoever in a global context.

That's just simply not true. Our greenhouse gas emissions are definitely not insubstantial. Almost every scrap of electricity we generate is done by burning fossil fuels. Look at that in a global context - it's a disgrace for a rich developed country. 

Also to claim our emissions make no difference is to bury your head in the sand. Ofcourse they do, both directly and by setting an example of how to do the right thing. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chris C said:

That's just simply not true. Our greenhouse gas emissions are definitely not insubstantial. Almost every scrap of electricity we generate is done by burning fossil fuels. Look at that in a global context - it's a disgrace for a rich developed country. 

Also to claim our emissions make no difference is to bury your head in the sand. Ofcourse they do, both directly and by setting an example of how to do the right thing. 

In that case why encourage those rich enough to buy an electric vehicle ( involving a greenhouse gas emission  in it's construction ?) ,financial incentives and free excise duty and free electricity produced on this island by burning fossil fuels . 

I drive  a 20 year old Skoda and wonder how my carbon footprint compares with that of someone who has changed their vehicle every 2 years and now drives an electric vehicle?

I'm all for reducing greenhouse gas emissions but it does make me smile when politicians and those 'saving the planet '  attend conferences and jollies involving air travel and limo travel and then instruct how the rest of us should behave  .

FWIW  for me "A day off the island is a day wasted":)

just saying

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, paswt said:

In that case why encourage those rich enough to buy an electric vehicle ( involving a greenhouse gas emission  in it's construction ?) ,financial incentives and free excise duty and free electricity produced on this island by burning fossil fuels . 

I drive  a 20 year old Skoda and wonder how my carbon footprint compares with that of someone who has changed their vehicle every 2 years and now drives an electric vehicle?

I couldn't agree more and have said as much on this very thread.

Our current climate change policies are nothing more than a bunch of halfwits playing at environmental politics. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chris C said:

Our current climate change policies are nothing more than a bunch of halfwits playing at environmental politics. 

Which will also be a more than useful vehicle to justify new taxation policies.

All very attractive when you've got a £3Bn PS Pension deficit. And an economy based on a relatively huge and growing Public sector that needs ever-increasing wages and salaries paying.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, paswt said:

I'm all for reducing greenhouse gas emissions but it does make me smile when politicians and those 'saving the planet '  attend conferences and jollies involving air travel and limo travel and then instruct how the rest of us should behave  .

FWIW  for me "A day off the island is a day wasted":)

just saying

all of that and I only do twenty miles a week.........wow, how polluting!! lol

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, doc.fixit said:

all of that and I only do twenty miles a week.........wow, how polluting!! lol

Don't tell me ...........your  'excise duty' , according to those in Tynwald , reflects your  proportionate contribution to 'climate change' , "they" must think we came over on the morning boat :lol:.

It's no surprise that folk can't take the politicians/CS mandarins seriously when they continue to insult the intelligence of the electorate by justifying  the creation of a revenue stream to fund their salaries and pension expectations , under the pretence of saving the planet.:angry:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/2/2019 at 10:19 PM, TheTeapot said:

If you've got two kids its about £76 a year. 

They’ll spend more than that on Sky, mobile phones etc. Still, it’s a shit thing to do but to be expected given they have to make “savings”

14 hours ago, b4mbi said:

And according to mua chairman response to MHKs in the link you didn't read, it could potentially last till 2050 - another 30 years.

Oh I read it. Did you read it? It could last until 2050 but in order to do that "a number of subsystems that make up the plant...can be overhauled, updated or replaced" "either in its current form or with a revised configuration." So it could, with more money, last until 2050 but without more money thrown at it only has 15 years. The question is just how many millions of pounds will this cost because we are still paying for it now and probably still will be by 2050.

2 hours ago, Chris C said:

You clearly don't understand how numbers work.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

You clearly don't understand how numbers work.

Perhaps you could enlighten me.

I am totally baffled that one or two vociferous entities can create a situation where life will be seriously affected for the quiet majority. All I want to do is just get on with my life doing as little harm as possible while managing to support my family.

Does anyone who is sane seriously consider that there is any sort of meaningful pollution problem on the Isle of Man? Do they consider that quality of life is a very wide brief? Do they even think that one aeroplane taking off will cause more pollution than I create in years? Do they believe truly, that their input to WORLD well being is meaningful? Do they think?

Why don't such folk stop trying to be clever and just go and peddle their meddlesome views to the countries that cause REAL pollution, the countries that have real human rights problems and the countries that create terrorism and fear?

I fear that there lives wouldn't last very long even though they might believe they are doing, the right thing'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

There are many facets to this issue, and many competing pressures bearing upon it. There is much nonsense pontificated. To believe that the Isle of Man can make a difference is risible. Even the UK barely registers on a global scale. Never mind that. We even have a "climate change emergency" declared at Braddan Commissioners' level by Andrew Jessop. How ridiculous!  https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/climate-change-emergency-declared-in-braddan/?fbclid=IwAR3cGBdqiSX_xx4fG4Qg8rCzrGMusvAzMwpZX8td2TJNeYGfOrWpAlLmmpY

Carbon dioxide levels, the main greenhouse gas, are increasing in the atmosphere. This is a provable fact. We don't know how much of this is man made, but obviously some of it is with the industrialisation of the world and the exponential population growth of the past 250 years. https://www.theccc.org.uk/tackling-climate-change/the-science-of-climate-change/climate-variations-natural-and-human-factors/

No matter the cause, an industry has grown up around climate change which seeks to reduce CO2 emissions. This industry is a traditional industry which seeks to make a profit from finding a solution. Profit is the main driver rather than the goal of lower CO2 levels and that is a problem. However, there are some seemingly good ideas. https://carbonengineering.com/

There is also no guarantee whatsoever that we can reverse CO2 levels to former lower values.

Human nature is a problem. We will all pay lip service to making a change, but so long as the tide is not lapping around our ankles, 99% of people will carry on in their established way. No amount of images of people in Bangladesh walking around in flood waters will move us sufficiently. Virtually nobody is interested in changing their habits for the sake of "future generations". People will not even sacrifice frivolous pastimes in the name of this cause.

Nobody is advocating a lower global population. Apparently it isn't politically correct, but if you believe that human activity is the cause then, clearly, an encouragement to reducing that population over decades would be effective.

The world is geared up to increasing GDP activity. This is not consistent with reducing CO2, so for as long as "growth" is seen as desirable, and there is no sign of that changing, it will be difficult to even attempt a reduction. At least Trump is candid in his assertion that the economy comes before climate change. The rest of the world just makes the right noises and carries on.

The EU crows about the reduction in emissions. Er, yes, but you moved manufacturing to the even more polluting Far East, and we all share the same atmosphere.

Meanwhile, Heathrow is being enlarged to take up to 30% additional flights and the rest of the world is organised in the same way. What we say and what we do are totally incompatible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Wooley, you're a gud un!

seriously. I couldn't have said it better. Thank you.

• Like 1