Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Manx Bean

Climate Change gets the Boot

1 hour ago, woolley said:

There are many facets to this issue, and many competing pressures bearing upon it. There is much nonsense pontificated. To believe that the Isle of Man can make a difference is risible. Even the UK barely registers on a global scale. Never mind that. We even have a "climate change emergency" declared at Braddan Commissioners' level by Andrew Jessop. How ridiculous!  https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/climate-change-emergency-declared-in-braddan/?fbclid=IwAR3cGBdqiSX_xx4fG4Qg8rCzrGMusvAzMwpZX8td2TJNeYGfOrWpAlLmmpY

Carbon dioxide levels, the main greenhouse gas, are increasing in the atmosphere. This is a provable fact. We don't know how much of this is man made, but obviously some of it is with the industrialisation of the world and the exponential population growth of the past 250 years. https://www.theccc.org.uk/tackling-climate-change/the-science-of-climate-change/climate-variations-natural-and-human-factors/

No matter the cause, an industry has grown up around climate change which seeks to reduce CO2 emissions. This industry is a traditional industry which seeks to make a profit from finding a solution. Profit is the main driver rather than the goal of lower CO2 levels and that is a problem. However, there are some seemingly good ideas. https://carbonengineering.com/

There is also no guarantee whatsoever that we can reverse CO2 levels to former lower values.

Human nature is a problem. We will all pay lip service to making a change, but so long as the tide is not lapping around our ankles, 99% of people will carry on in their established way. No amount of images of people in Bangladesh walking around in flood waters will move us sufficiently. Virtually nobody is interested in changing their habits for the sake of "future generations". People will not even sacrifice frivolous pastimes in the name of this cause.

Nobody is advocating a lower global population. Apparently it isn't politically correct, but if you believe that human activity is the cause then, clearly, an encouragement to reducing that population over decades would be effective.

The world is geared up to increasing GDP activity. This is not consistent with reducing CO2, so for as long as "growth" is seen as desirable, and there is no sign of that changing, it will be difficult to even attempt a reduction. At least Trump is candid in his assertion that the economy comes before climate change. The rest of the world just makes the right noises and carries on.

The EU crows about the reduction in emissions. Er, yes, but you moved manufacturing to the even more polluting Far East, and we all share the same atmosphere.

Meanwhile, Heathrow is being enlarged to take up to 30% additional flights and the rest of the world is organised in the same way. What we say and what we do are totally incompatible.

I'm advocating a lower global population

• Like 1

I'm so sorry, Donald. When I checked with everyone this morning I must have missed you. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, woolley said:

I'm so sorry, Donald. When I checked with everyone this morning I must have missed you. :thumbsup:

How remiss of you :cool: !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

I'm advocating a lower global population

Perhaps you should lead by example. 

No matter what our Tynpotians think they are going to achieve, in reality it will make zilch difference. Anyone recall the emissions trading that went on around the world? China and the USA did not wish to sign up to the emissions reduction policy and they are the real danger

On 4/4/2019 at 8:44 PM, Non-Believer said:

Which will also be a more than useful vehicle to justify new taxation policies.

All very attractive when you've got a £3Bn PS Pension deficit. And an economy based on a relatively huge and growing Public sector that needs ever-increasing wages and salaries paying.

Just for posterity...because a screen to cover up the needs is all they'll be looking for.

On 4/4/2019 at 8:04 PM, Chris C said:

and by setting an example of how to do the right thing.

giphy.gif

On 4/4/2019 at 8:44 PM, Non-Believer said:

Which will also be a more than useful vehicle to justify new taxation policies.

All very attractive when you've got a £3Bn PS Pension deficit. And an economy based on a relatively huge and growing Public sector that needs ever-increasing wages and salaries paying.

Correct, exactly the reason.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2019 at 10:41 PM, Chris C said:

Perhaps you could enlighten me.

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, Lagman said:

Correct, exactly the reason.

Precisely. How else will all this extra "green" tax revenue be used? What could anybody see our Govt spending it on, on environmental issues?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Precisely. How else will all this extra "green" tax revenue be used? What could anybody see our Govt spending it on, on environmental issues?

It’s more about persuading people to change (damaging) behaviours by pricing certain services and products in favour of greener ones.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

It’s more about persuading people to change (damaging) behaviours by pricing certain services and products in favour of greener ones.

Agree 100% John. This is a policy advocated in this book which is well worth a read if you have some spare time on your hands. Those that state the IOM can’t make a difference, maybe not but it can be an example and also there is more to it than just tackling climate change. Adopting an Eco Economy for our Island would change our way of life I believe for the better.http://library.uniteddiversity.coop/Money_and_Economics/Eco-Economy.pdf

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

I agree to a certain extent John, but I'm cynical enough to think that it's not the main mover, given the current situation. If the revenue was also proposed to be demonstrably spent on green issues for the general good, fair enough.

However we have yet to hear of any such proposals, although we are of course having the taxation proposed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

I agree to a certain extent John, but I'm cynical enough to think that it's not the main mover, given the current situation. If the revenue was also proposed to be demonstrably spent on green issues for the general good, fair enough.

However we have yet to hear of any such proposals, although we are of course having the taxation proposed.

You're right ofcourse. The Manx government will make a total bollocks of it and squander any money raised on lining their own pockets.  Doing nothing because we're run by a bunch of greedy half wits doesn't seem right tho.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1