Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Manx Bean

Climate Change gets the Boot

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

I agree to a certain extent John, but I'm cynical enough to think that it's not the main mover, given the current situation. If the revenue was also proposed to be demonstrably spent on green issues for the general good, fair enough.

However we have yet to hear of any such proposals, although we are of course having the taxation proposed.

I agree that some of the taxes and charges should be used on ever better public transport, subsidies for electric vehicles, alternative energy sources, deposit and re use initiatives with bottles, all sorts.

IoM may only create a minuscule of the problem, but it has equal responsibility with the rest of the world. But you have to make compliance easy, or non compliance expensive, or both.

But the amount raised will be small by comparison to the PSP funding shortfall. So, no, I don’t cynically think it’s down to that.

PSP deficit is something that’s the responsibility of us all. We expect the services delivered by a modern public service, as of right, we have to pay for it and honour commitments made in our name.

Im a great believer in user pays for utilities, waste, road use, but not for essential health, education, and social welfare involving children, the old, and those who cannot look after themselves. But I’m not averse to sensible means testing for those who can afford. Especially to cover accommodation and food costs.

Yes, when public servants have job security and good salaries, they must pay more for their benefits. But most PSP members don’t get large sums, lump or income, the vast majority are very modest. People who’ve worked on low wages, hard jobs, part time, women who had 20 years off to bring up children, then returned.

Ive sympathy on both sides, and its clear that neither senior civil servants nor politicians have been willing to deal with the worsening problem for two decades.

When India, China, Russia, Africa and most of America establish the same rules as the IOM are proposing then I will support the Islands proposals.

Until then I absolutely don't support the proposals. Those countries will pay absolutely NO attention to our insignificant efforts on the world playing fields and anyone who suggests that we should set an example must be living in a privileged, moneyed, utopian dream world.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

When India, China, Russia, Africa and most of America establish the same rules as the IOM are proposing then I will support the Islands proposals.

Until then I absolutely don't support the proposals. Those countries will pay absolutely NO attention to our insignificant efforts on the world playing fields and anyone who suggests that we should set an example must be living in a privileged, moneyed, utopian dream world.

You'd think we all had 100k+ lying around to see us into the latest Tesla!

• Like 3

Which is an environmental disaster area in it's production and still uses fossil fuel in spite of trying to rely on solar generation which still costs a lot environmentally.

If Musk really was concerned about the environment he wouldn't be worried about phenomenal 0-60 acceleration and would be creating a simple people/cargo carrier using environmentally safe batteries, (is there such a thing) or inventing a truly environmentally safe source of energy production.

But then, that doesn't make money.

I've just finished reading , 'Insane Mode', by Hamish Mcenzie, hmm, space rockets? batteries? how very good for the environment.

I'm off for my tea now, bye.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, finlo said:

You'd think we all had 100k+ lying around to see us into the latest Tesla!

That's what they told Jacksons..... :lol:

• Haha 2

On 4/7/2019 at 11:26 AM, John Wright said:

IoM may only create a minuscule of the problem, but it has equal responsibility with the rest of the world.

If it is creating a miniscule of the problem then it should have a miniscule of the responsibility not equality with the rest of the world causing most of the problems.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2019 at 6:09 AM, John Wright said:

It’s more about persuading people to change (damaging) behaviours by pricing certain services and products in favour of greener ones.

giphy.gif

On 4/7/2019 at 8:02 AM, Billy One Mate said:

but it can be an example

Is that what this is really about, who can virtue signal the hardest and get the most kudos? - Actually it CAN'T be an example because people only pay attention to the IOM when it's about tax or motorbikes.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lagman said:

Is that what this is really about, who can virtue signal the hardest and get the most kudos? - Actually it CAN'T be an example because people only pay attention to the IOM when it's about tax or motorbikes.

And when we are Beach Cleaning.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2019 at 8:02 AM, Billy One Mate said:

Agree 100% John. This is a policy advocated in this book which is well worth a read if you have some spare time on your hands. Those that state the IOM can’t make a difference, maybe not but it can be an example and also there is more to it than just tackling climate change. Adopting an Eco Economy for our Island would change our way of life I believe for the better.http://library.uniteddiversity.coop/Money_and_Economics/Eco-Economy.pdf

Certainly a worthier ambition than building on every fecking green field & importing people who aren't Syrians

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Certainly a worthier ambition than building on every fecking green field & importing people who aren't Syrians

Importing any people tends to result in building on green field sites.

16 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Well it doesn't need to

It's what keeps happening though.

Well, call me cynical - but as a father of 3, I seriously can't imagine that having to get out of bed before Noon and dragging yourself into town during your School holidays, is as attractive a proposition as bunking off school for a day in term time...let's just see how serious some of our teenagers really do care about the environment..

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/manx-students-protest-plastic-problem/

• Like 1