Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
thesultanofsheight

Bell (end) charged

5 hours ago, huddstud said:

On the face of it, well worth it. The fine is less than what you got away with in insurance and tax.

Of course there is the fall-out later getting insurance, applying for jobs etc. but no one thinks about that at the time, 'cos they ain't gonna get caught.

Driving without insurance should be a year or two inside Jurby. You are not only cheating, you are risking the total destruction of someone's life should you be the cause of a severe injury to an innocent person.

Lock em up. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Driving without insurance should be a year or two inside Jurby. You are not only cheating, you are risking the total destruction of someone's life should you be the cause of a severe injury to an innocent person.

Lock em up. 

They should crush their cars as well

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Neil Down said:
32 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Lock em up. 

They should crush their cars as well

every driver and rider should be asked to show their insurance certs. when arriving here. 

I read somewhere that 1 in 3 bikers don't have cover.

So you want to criminalise 33.3% of bikers this year?:lol: It might deter future violations but it also might make the island look a bit twatty and out to fleece visitors. That might otherwise not be such a problem but it happens to be true so it wouldn't be very good for promoting the island as a visitor destination.

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

wouldn't be very good for promoting the island as a visitor destination.

It has nothing to do with the Islands image, or the legal fact that this is required. Not having insurance means that immediate compensation for injuries is not available to someone who has, perhaps, been confined to a wheelchair, needing home conversion to facilitate to cope with this.

Ten pounds a week, by Court order, on a non insured driver is not going to get the work done!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

33 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

So you want to criminalise 33.3% of bikers this year?:lol: It might deter future violations but it also might make the island look a bit twatty and out to fleece visitors. That might otherwise not be such a problem but it happens to be true so it wouldn't be very good for promoting the island as a visitor destination.

No insurance, no entry. Go home and break the law. End Of

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In particular, given how the event is "promoted", the "unlimited" Mountain Road etc.

If they're not insured, they shouldn't turn a wheel off the landing ramp. It's a basic legal requirement and common sense.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

you must live in a peculiar world if you are happy with people breaking the law on a continued basis. Personally the less uninsured vehicles and bikes, the better

• Like 1

AS IOM vehicles now show up on the UK data bases for insurance etc wouldn't it make sense to use ANPR cameras here with links to the UK data bases for insurance and tax . Surely this would catch the majority of people who think it acceptable to ride/drive without the required documentation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, dilligaf said:

every driver and rider should be asked to show their insurance certs. when arriving here. 

I read somewhere that 1 in 3 bikers don't have cover.

Aye, this is what 'fake news' is all about.

1 in 3 bikers uninsured - my arse.

I'd be surprised if it was 1 in 20 or more.

4 hours ago, huddstud said:

Aye, this is what 'fake news' is all about.

1 in 3 bikers uninsured - my arse.

I'd be surprised if it was 1 in 20 or more.

Your figure sounds much closer to the truth, as in the UK  there has been a general decrease in uninsured drivers of all vehicles and the figure is estimated at around 3% (at the end of 2016).

Which still means there is in the region of 1 million uninsured vehicles (Come down from approx 2 million a decade ago)  The highest region being Greater London approx 6 %  and some post code areas of the West midlands and North West of England are  also  higher.

The game changer in the UK has been the use of ANPR cameras linked to better statistics in the data bases .

What is noticeable here though is that whenever you see someone in court for  any motoring offence they inevitably don't seem to be insured and often have no valid driving license  or tax either . 

Is it a technicality? For example your insurance would not be valid if you were drunk and driving kind of thing? I have no time for people who drive without insurance and it annoys me greatly when the Islands courts hand out stupid conditionals for what is a very serious crime. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's a good point, should a drink driver be covered, perhaps by third party cover, ( perhaps they are? ), so that there is cover available for those injured and in need of urgent or ongoing care resulting from those injuries?

It would simply be a matter of a law to allow the insurance to continue rather than let the insurance companies shirk their responsibilities.

2 hours ago, thebees said:

Is it a technicality? For example your insurance would not be valid if you were drunk and driving kind of thing? I have no time for people who drive without insurance and it annoys me greatly when the Islands courts hand out stupid conditionals for what is a very serious crime. 

What?