I have recently passed my motorcycle test. I have been a car driver for 40+ years. I now have to display R plates on the motorcycle for 1yr, restricting me to max 50mph.

Next month I am visiting the UK, and will be driving on Motorways. Am I still restricted to 50mph, and do I still need the R Plates whilst driving there?

I have obviously Googled the question, but seem to be receiving conflicting advice.

Any advice welcome.

Edited by Rab
Spelling
6 minutes ago, Rab said:

I have recently passed my motorcycle test. I have been a car driver for 40+ years. I now have to display R plates on the motorcycle for 1yr, restricting me to max 50mph.

Next month I am visiting the UK, and will be driving on Motorways. Am I still restricted to 50mph, and do I still need the R Plates whilst driving there?

I have obviously Googled the question, but seem to be receiving conflicting advice.

Any advice welcome.

Don't waste your time asking on "social" media.

Ask the police.

( unless Flinty sees your post.)

Even PM him. He's a decent bloke and will put you right.

Edited by dilligaf
19 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Ask the police.

Why, what could possibly go wrong asking the “experts” on here...

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, Neil Down said:
22 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Ask the police.

Why, what could possibly go wrong asking the “experts” on here...

"manxy" probably has the answer.

( hide in the hedge, they are out to get you )

Edited by dilligaf
2 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

"manxy" probably has the answer.

( hide in the hedge, they are out to get you )

Or “down my manor Barry”...

• Haha 1

Requirements, such as driving age, licence categories, P plates, depend on two things when you are in a “foreign” country to the one that issued your licence.

1. Documentation issued at home limits driving categories, driving age, to the extent  that the the foreign requirements aren’t different.  

2. The law of where you are actually driving covers things like P plates, higher minimum age, etc.

So, a manx person who passed their test at 16, couldn’t drive in U.K. until 17, or Sweden until 18.

If your licence in IoM restricts you to a weight limit, but elsewhere you could drive a greater weight, that’s moot, but if the foreign weight limit is lower you are limited to that lower limit.

P plates in U.K. are voluntary. R plates are Manx and have no meaning in UK. The Manx legislation has no extra territorial effect.

My nephew had a NZ licence, it was less than 6 months since he’d passed his test so in NZ only allowed to carry one adult passenger, no car full of teens. None of those restrictions here. How could Manx courts enforce.

Its no different to the position where people disqualified in IoM could drive in U.K. the minute they got off the boat, as long as they had a valid licence issued outside the Island. It’s why lots of people had a GB licence as well, and after that an Irish one, (after IoM U.K. reciprocal driving disqualification came in) so they could drive outside IoM or U.K.

Its reflected in the fact that if you are banned in IoM on a U.K. licence and told you can’t drive until you’ve passed your test, that bit only applies to the Island. You can drive in U.K. without retaking your test when your ban expires. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rab said:

. Am I still restricted to 50mph, and do I still need the R Plates whilst driving there?

No and No.  R plates will need to be reapplied before returning,but no 50mph restriction applies whilst in England.

For your own peace of mind: 

DVLA driver licensing enquiries
Telephone: 0300 790 6801
Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm
Saturday, 8am to 2pm
Find out about call charges

Edited by display name

What is the UK “P” plate referred to by John?

Edited to add - it’s ok I’ve found the answer via Google. And it’s a little paradoxical...P is the same as our R...it’s displayed in the vehicle for 12 months after the driver passes their test. But it actually stands for “Provisional”. Well that’s bloody stupid, given that you have a provisional licence before you pass your test! For once, we’ve opted for a more sensible designator; R for Restricted. The P is daft, and confusing.

Edited by Uhtred
24 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

What is the UK “P” plate referred to by John?

Edited to add - it’s ok I’ve found the answer via Google. And it’s a little paradoxical...P is the same as our R...it’s displayed in the vehicle for 12 months after the driver passes their test. But it actually stands for “Provisional”. Well that’s bloody stupid, given that you have a provisional licence before you pass your test! For once, we’ve opted for a more sensible designator; R for Restricted. The P is daft, and confusing.

In some countries it does stand for Provisional and is used by drivers with a Provisional licence .

However in the UK it = P  = Probationary driver (indicating you are a fairly new qualified driver) and may be used if the driver wants to and for no set period of time ....purely voluntary .

2 minutes ago, emesde said:

In some countries it does stand for Provisional and is used by drivers with a Provisional licence .

However in the UK it = P  = Probationary driver (indicating you are a fairly new qualified driver) and may be used if the driver wants to and for no set period of time ....purely voluntary .

Thanks for the clarification. Odd that it’s voluntary?