Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
yootalkin2me

Gibraltar

1 minute ago, yootalkin2me said:

What is it then if it's not a sport? It's far more physically demanding than football or rugby and it's a damn sight more dangerous.

Yeah, but there's a high powered machine involved. Person with the best machine wins. Remember when Mansell left Williams? His percentages went down a lot after that and others since, very similar. Apart from that it's just like watching the traffic.

23 hours ago, woolley said:

Yeah, but there's a high powered machine involved. Person with the best machine wins. Remember when Mansell left Williams? His percentages went down a lot after that and others since, very similar. Apart from that it's just like watching the traffic.

Not necessarily, not all the F1 drivers can get the best out of the best maxhine, plus there's the weather element, for example Lewis Hamilton is mercurial in the wet yet other top drivers are not.

On 3/23/2019 at 8:06 PM, yootalkin2me said:

Gibraltar has a population of just under 35,000, the Isle of Man has more than double that, yet Gibraltar is in the European Championships but the Isle of Man isn't...why's that then?

Going from memory on this when Gibraltar joined, I think most of the team weren't people actually from there (I might be wrong), but people who were of dubious association or who moved there or just people "representing" Gibraltar, if that is the case then what's the point.

Posted (edited)
On 3/23/2019 at 8:06 PM, yootalkin2me said:

Gibraltar has a population of just under 35,000, the Isle of Man has more than double that, yet Gibraltar is in the European Championships but the Isle of Man isn't...why's that then?

Because them's the rules.  Wiki explains:

Gibraltar first applied for UEFA membership in 1999 but was rejected because of intense opposition from Spain. Spain's opposition stemmed not only from claiming ownership of the territory but from fear that Gibraltar's acceptance would set a precedent that would inspire the separatist Basque national football team and Catalan national football teams to apply for UEFA membership as well. The issue was voted on again in 2007 but only three member nations (England, Scotland, and Wales) supported Gibraltar's bid after Spain threatened to withdraw Spanish teams from all UEFA competitions. UEFA then established rules, which were introduced following pressure from Spain, restricting membership to sovereign states recognised as such by the United Nations. The Gibraltar FA then went to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in 2007 and again in 2011 after an appeal and it was ruled that Gibraltar could not be refused membership because the sovereignty rules were not established until after Gibraltar's 1999 and 2007 applications. At this time, Gibraltar was named a provisional member of UEFA and was granted permission to enter national teams in under-17 and under-19 tournaments for the first time.

So the Isle of Man would be not be eligible to apply under current rules, but countries in similar(-ish) positions, such as Gibraltar and the Faroes, were able to join because the rules used to be different.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Edited to add link.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Because them's the rules.  Wiki explains:

So the Isle of Man would be not be eligible to apply under current rules, but countries in similar(-ish) positions, such as Gibraltar and the Faroes, were able to join because the rules used to be different.

I think the IOM should be allowed to compete so that there would be a nation involved that Scotland would only lose to by the odd goal.

• Haha 3

On 3/23/2019 at 10:31 PM, Derek Flint said:

monaco. 35k population. National team.

Hang on, do you actually think that AS Monaco are the Monaco national team?  That's actually hilarious :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/29/2019 at 10:27 PM, Chef Raekwon said:

Hang on, do you actually think that AS Monaco are the Monaco national team?  That's actually hilarious :lol:

Looking at the way the match was policed last time I was there it certainly was a few steps up from Laxey V Peel

On 3/29/2019 at 10:27 PM, Chef Raekwon said:

It's a natural assumption unless you're a football fan but in some ways it is a national team as it represents the Principality of Monaco.

Posted (edited)

It represents the legitimisation of the bank accounts of Dmitry Rybolovlev. 

Edited by TheTeapot

21 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

It represents the legitimisation of the bank accounts of Dmitry Rybolovlev. 

Currently.

Historically the club has really been a show of prestige for the Grimaldi Family, having persuaded lots of local clubs to join together to make AS Monaco.