Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  

Unholy Trinity Conspiring to Cripple the Island

This is a nightmare scenario - Boot, Harmer and Allinson, each working on and supposedly working together. This fills me dread, and can see nothing but stealth taxes, doom and gloom and holding the island to ransom, to pay the civil servants wishlist. Sad thing is - it’s another week till April Fools Day!

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/climate-push-will-need-treasury-funding-says-defa-minister/

These implied plans sound like at least £20m in stealth taxes in the making. Ironically, training locals properly, encouraging the right kind of industries, lowering house prices and the cost of living - instead of trying to add 30% to the population - are far more efficient and desirable solutions to reducing emissions here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The infrastructure involved in having everyone driving electric vehicles will be enormous. The underground cables will need to be upgraded around the whole island and the cost will be a lot more than £20m I imagine?

Whatever we do is a token gesture and shows only solidarity with the much larger communities of the world. If every man, woman, child and animal on the island were to break wind at the same instant, we wouldn't register on the Richter Scale and the resultant methane would be lost in the wind, creating a miniscule effect on the overall worldwide picture. The same goes for our vehicle emissions, it's a typical politico knee jerk reaction to a perceived problem which not many people really understand and has the scientific world divided!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

A bit vain, I know, but I'd like to quote myself from the other thread...

Isle of Man currently contributes 0.00013% of global CO2 emissions....a 50% reduction in our emissions (at cost£££??) would take us down to 0.000065%

I think most people would agree  we should look to sustainable energy generation in the future.

We should be radical and a shining example of how to run a country sustainably in terms of energy/agriculture/plastics etc.

But the big question is how to do it?  It will need paying for, and renewable sources are not on-demand, so you also need some form of energy capture/storage.

The gas in our waters is the only way Govt can get sufficient funding required to invest in renewables (tidal/wind) whilst managing our own energy requirements during the transition phase.

• Like 3

As well as the Harmer, Boot and Allinson, we will now have to factor the inane rants of Shimmins and Peake. No doubt that great expert on the climate, Onchans finest will want to add their pennerth - there this island will have Pandemonium. Coupled with Chris Thomas new rates bringing even more income to Government coffers, the poor taxpayers will be taxed till their pips squeak.

• Like 1

Quite apart from anything else it strikes me that there is a not very well hidden agenda to hugely reduce imports to the island.

We need a Pension Tax. That would help us save the world.

Man once told me that they do tourist helicopter flights round some humungous volcano in New Zealand. Part of the guide's spiel is that the volcano puts out more CO2 than all the cars in the western world combined.

Does the Isle of Man need to worry?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The way these clowns are going with their wish lists and other Tynpotwalders wet dreams of Cruise Terninals/Jetties, Bus Station taxpayers contribution and Ramsey Beach etc etc etc, it will turn out for the island as the largest suicide note ever written. All the Government employees pension will disappear. 

This is a fascinating read, all 373 pages of it and I would suggest "the Holy Trinity" make it their bedtime story over the next couple of weeks. Probably be released as a Government Document in the next couple of months as an idea from within with a few name and place changes.

Eco Economy

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

We need a Pension Tax. That would help us save the world.

Errrm, pensions are taxed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Are government pensions taxed at the full income tax rate?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Are government pensions taxed at the full income tax rate?

They are income, so they are taxed, subject to personal allowances and 10% rate band.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, John Wright said:

They are income, so they are taxed, subject to personal allowances and 10% rate band.

Is it not also 20% if the threashold for higher rate is broken.