Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Derek Flint

Manx Telecom Charges

Having seen the light some time back and purchased a UK contract, I’ve been maintaining my MT mobile number on a nostalgic and necessity basis as a PAYG.

today, I noticed it was down to 37p credit, so I topped it up. 5 quid for 100 mins, 100 text and 500gb data for 7days, running for 90 days. 

I then made the grave error of ringing my home, MT number, not unreasonably expecting it to be part of the 100 minutes. 

Well how wrong was I? Having then tried to make another call to a MT mobile, I couldn’t. Checked the credit and back down to 37p. It was so odd that I rang their helpline. It turns out that MT mobile to MT landline is charged at 40p a minute!

the nice lady at the other end assured me that this was ‘likely to change soon’. A bit late to be honest, because as soon as I can I will be ripping out the landline and gong over to Sure 4g WiFi. 

Another example of rip off Isle of Man. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, display name said:

Or another example of not paying attention to details perhaps? tut ;)

I’ll have that absolutely. But still, 40p per min!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Having seen the light some time back and purchased a UK contract

I've heard of a few people doing this, what has been your experience?, I do use a fair bit of data and running over contract whilst 'roaming' would worry me.

Edited by Annoymouse

30 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Having seen the light some time back and purchased a UK contract, I’ve been maintaining my MT mobile number on a nostalgic and necessity basis as a PAYG.

today, I noticed it was down to 37p credit, so I topped it up. 5 quid for 100 mins, 100 text and 500gb data for 7days, running for 90 days. 

I then made the grave error of ringing my home, MT number, not unreasonably expecting it to be part of the 100 minutes. 

Well how wrong was I? Having then tried to make another call to a MT mobile, I couldn’t. Checked the credit and back down to 37p. It was so odd that I rang their helpline. It turns out that MT mobile to MT landline is charged at 40p a minute!

the nice lady at the other end assured me that this was ‘likely to change soon’. A bit late to be honest, because as soon as I can I will be ripping out the landline and gong over to Sure 4g WiFi. 

Another example of rip off Isle of Man. 

Spot on Derek , I had a MT PAYG phone with MT , generally only used it when marshalling , didn't use it for a month two (can't remember exactly how long ) . Result they cut me off despite having credit  and apparently it was my own fault ......... bunch of shysters .:angry:

I now have an O2 PAYG  and another with Sure , that said I only use a phone , to  txt and very occasionally phone .

21 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I've heard of a few people doing this, what has been your experience?, I do use a fair bit of data and running over contract whilst 'roaming' would worry me.

I would also be interested in hearing this response.

Derek, did you get a handset included on your plan?

You want to get a Nokia 3720, MT give me money!!!

The missus and I are both sim only pay monthly with Three.they are spot on, and we’ve had no issues. Only on 4gb contracts but then again I’ve only used 132mb this month, including WhatsApp calls which has all but replaced proper calls for us set to set. We pop up in the UK every few months too and I think that helps. But as I say, no issues

11 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

I’ll have that absolutely. But still, 40p per min!

i'd happily pay 40p a minute to not be talking to some people.

• Haha 1

Sure 4G broadband was rubbish in Ramsey when I tried a free trial when they first released it. Totally inconsistent speed tests fluctuating between 0.5 and 20 mbps. I took the router to Douglas and it was very consistently running at 40 mbps. Must be something to do with Ramsey mast. I’d use a fibre connection either through MT or Sure if you want rid of the landline. 

8 hours ago, Terminal said:

Sure 4G broadband was rubbish in Ramsey when I tried a free trial when they first released it. Totally inconsistent speed tests fluctuating between 0.5 and 20 mbps. I took the router to Douglas and it was very consistently running at 40 mbps. Must be something to do with Ramsey mast. I’d use a fibre connection either through MT or Sure if you want rid of the landline. 

There is a new mast going in at Ramsey Cottage which should make a big difference

12 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

There is a new mast going in at Ramsey Cottage which should make a big difference

Chemo while you wait!

• Like 1

Just read the T & C  part. it is not rocket science FSS.You don't top up for life, you top up for the clearly stated period.

2 minutes ago, finlo said:

Chemo while you wait!

Now now manxy 

Calls to landlines used to be included in your minutes. When did that change?