Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
doc.fixit

new test centre?

42 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Booked online.  Couple of clicks and it was done.  They phoned me a couple of days before too to remind/confirm and checked I still needed the loan car.

They need to advertise that more then as its torturous dealing with the idiot process of going in there and trying to get things booked. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, thesultanofsheight said:

They need to advertise that more then as its torturous dealing with the idiot process of going in there and trying to get things booked. 

I was sent an email reminder for 12 months after my last service (with Buchanan) - the link to click was there. 

1 hour ago, manxy said:

Never liked big companies and prefer the personal interaction of small businesses where customers are made to feel welcome and given good service. 

I went into Jacksons once regards some advice on a car and with the place appearing empty of customers, I saw three employees looking my way from their computers/view screens and another two walking towards me. It actually felt uncomfortable and so I left quickly. 

I believe that a large auto dealer in Foxdale buys a lot of vehicles from UK car auctions and I don't have a problem with that, so long as they service them well. This might be the same for other dealers in buying vehicles from across and I would gather that the vehicles would be less than 3 years old so they do not require testing?

They were security to throw you out... :flowers:

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I was sent an email reminder for 12 months after my last service (with Buchanan) - the link to click was there. 

you must be one of the lucky few Wrighty. I have heard several different stories on the standard of service / sales

eta - only hearsay as I have never visited the place...:thumbsup:

Edited by Neil Down
  • Like 2

I'd rather not relate the story of my dealings with them as I probably need to go back, needless to say it wasn't a great experience. I feel a little sorry for the staff, there just doesn't seem to be any joined up thinking, a complete lack of experience in the whole process, leading to a desperate need to tell porkies to get the customer out of your hair! 

• Thanks 1

Anyway, the thread is about a new test centre? Is there a link to any information? I only heard that they were looking for emissions equipment, as if that's difficult as MOT stations in the UK can buy this from any supplier.

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

Anyway, the thread is about a new test centre? Is there a link to any information? I only heard that they were looking for emissions equipment, as if that's difficult as MOT stations in the UK can buy this from any supplier.

Ours will have to be special and bespoke. And ten times the price.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

can't they modify the chewing gum machines........

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, woody2 said:

can't they modify the chewing gum machines........

They already have, it's the emergency train...

6 hours ago, manxy said:

buys a lot of vehicles from UK car auctions and I don't have a problem with that, so long as they service them well. This might be the same for other dealers in buying vehicles from across and I would gather that the vehicles would be less than 3 years old so they do not require testing?

the paperwork will nearly always show it was just serviced even if it has the original spark plugs and oil in it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, WTF said:

the paperwork will nearly always show it was just serviced even if it has the original spark plugs and oil in it.

Not far away. Mate of mine (who's a mechanic by trade) bought a vehicle from them. Noted a few faults before purchase when he was viewing, flagged them up and was given assurances they'd be dealt with before delivery.

Took delivery. Faults never been touched. To include filthy air filter, simple missing tyre valve caps and the oil filter (and oil) that were supposed to have been changed on the pre-delivery service agreed on the deal.

Caveat Emptor. Especially when you're buying from Arthur Daley Inc.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Not far away. Mate of mine (who's a mechanic by trade) bought a vehicle from them. Noted a few faults before purchase when he was viewing, flagged them up and was given assurances they'd be dealt with before delivery.

Took delivery. Faults never been touched. To include filthy air filter, simple missing tyre valve caps and the oil filter (and oil) that were supposed to have been changed on the pre-delivery service agreed on the deal.

Caveat Emptor. Especially when you're buying from Arthur Daley Inc.

Which garage was this? The new one on Cooil Rd or the one in Foxdale?

5 hours ago, Chris C said:

Which garage was this? The new one on Cooil Rd or the one in Foxdale?

Cooil Rd.

• Thanks 1

Re imports. When a car has been a ''Financial Write-off'' by an insurance Co., does the Manx log book note this on repaired cars????

2 hours ago, Kopek said:

Re imports. When a car has been a ''Financial Write-off'' by an insurance Co., does the Manx log book note this on repaired cars????

It generally does yes, in a box on the lower right hand side of the log book. It will state the category, some are written off with very light damage indeed.

• Thanks 1