Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
doc.fixit

new test centre?

2 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Is this because cars are far more reliable and long-lasting than they used to be?  My grandfather (yes, donkey's years ago!) used to buy a new car every 18 months.  Does anyone do that these days?

That's a possibility, however the UK car market has seen massive growth up to last year? A lot of it driven by finance schemes from manufacturers such as 3yr PCPs. Some of these schemes have not been available on the island and people on the island tend not to do the daily mileages to justify them. If they do they are never far from home so may not need the guarantee of roadside assistance and warranties? I think that when we had only 12 months warranty, people changed their car more regularly, some every year as you say wrighty. I think a lot of the decline has been the death of the company car on the IoM really and falling disposable income amongst younger people.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Max Power said:

That's a possibility, however the UK car market has seen massive growth up to last year? A lot of it driven by finance schemes from manufacturers such as 3yr PCPs. Some of these schemes have not been available on the island and people on the island tend not to do the daily mileages to justify them. If they do they are never far from home so may not need the guarantee of roadside assistance and warranties? I think that when we had only 12 months warranty, people changed their car more regularly, some every year as you say wrighty. I think a lot of the decline has been the death of the company car on the IoM really and falling disposable income amongst younger people.

Not just younger people Max, the government are doing their best to Hoover up everyone's disposable to keep itself in the manner to which it has become accustomed.

Edited by finlo
Stupid spelling
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Is this because cars are far more reliable and long-lasting than they used to be?  My grandfather (yes, donkey's years ago!) used to buy a new car every 18 months.  Does anyone do that these days?

Nah, not for private cars. Bus Vannin mind...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

other way round......

Not so long ago it was fairly common for motorists to have their cars for a minimum of five years or longer but that has now changed dramatically and dropped to just two years for millions of motorists

https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-news/buyers-now-change-their-cars-as-often-as-they-upgrade-their-phone/

as for long lasting....... i had a 25 year old van go in for mot that's done over 1 million miles........the tester said the emissions was lower than a 3 year old van.......

54 minutes ago, woody2 said:

as for long lasting....... i had a 25 year old van go in for mot that's done over 1 million miles........the tester said the emissions was lower than a 3 year old van.......

image.png.c2b9fc0448747d32848b51d54458870b.png

2 hours ago, finlo said:

...the government are doing their best to Hoover up everyone's disposable to keep itself in the manor to which it has become accustomed.

I want a room in this manor and access to the gardens.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, woody2 said:

This. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, wrighty said:

You may well have a point from your Granddad's day but it certainly isn't the case since the late 90's. If anything I'd say cars are less reliable now than they were then. 

Would you agree Max Power?

Edited by Chris C

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Chris C said:

You may well have a point from your Granddad's day but it certainly isn't the case since the late 90's. If anything I'd say cars are less reliable now than they were then. 

Far too much unreliable electronic crap on board these day's, ask any JLR owner!

Edited by finlo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, woody2 said:

#woodyfacts .. 

1 hour ago, Chris C said:

I think cars used to break down a lot more but were easier and cheaper to repair, most breakdowns were easily rectified. The major mechanical components on most cars are much more reliable these days and generally so are electronics and ancillary components, it's just that when they fail, it's spectacularly expensive!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Uhtred said:

I want a room in this manor and access to the gardens.

As long as it’s not Barry’s manor...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, finlo said:

Far too much unreliable electronic crap on board these day's, ask any JLR owner!

Not all JLR owners,   Freelander 2 , HSE, Bought new in 2011 and serviced every year. 68000 miles done.  Never so much as a misfire. Best car I've ever owned. (Not the best return on fuel though). Had a Merc before that and it was very problematic. 

21 hours ago, 2112 said:

Lack of car sales of top end marques to HNWIs? Flannels not selling enough to HNWIs. Not enough HNWIs on the island buying cars or chavvy clothing?

Sort of. I was thinking/inferring more in the way of two up-market outlets that appear to have been established and exist without appearing to actually "outlet" enough to justify their overheads and existence?