Promenade - Megathread

3 hours ago, Sentience said:

How do they intend to level off the height difference between the pink/rail level and that which we are supposed to drive on?

Can't see how they can as there governed by pavement and entrance to properties levels I'd have thought . So I'd say it will be a camber on the road . But who knows ! Probably not DOI either .

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've explained this before Derek. From a friend working for a firm who is responsible for lots of services  , not Auldyn etc , while they had a concept plan from day one ie what the finished job would

It's not Harmer's direct fault. Nor any of those we elect. APART from not having the departmental and relevant experience and balls to stand up to and question the reams of bullshitters and chanc

But the problem isn't the horse trams.  It's the corporate culture of the Manx civil service.  Rather than accept the reality of what their main job is, which is maintain existing structures in the mo

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

Brilliant. More gross incompetence from Messrs Black & Robinson. But don't worry folks. This blunder will only cost us another £1m. Chickenshit in the overall league of cock-ups.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=53327&headline=Red signal for Prom scheme&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2020

Was this public info before? That the single track section (the bit that needs 1m of signaling) will only run when there's a cruise ship in!

1 hour ago, Manx Bean said:

Brilliant. More gross incompetence from Messrs Black & Robinson. But don't worry folks. This blunder will only cost us another £1m. Chickenshit in the overall league of cock-ups.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=53327&headline=Red signal for Prom scheme&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2020

Just put somebody there with a flag and pay them £20k for doing it. Good for 40 years

7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Is this signalling really needed or is this just another part of Longworth's fantasy of running the MER along the Prom?  This is getting beyond a joke now - it needs to be stopped.

Indeed. What else have they 'forgotten?

13 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

That pouring concrete right up to the rails is unbelievably dumb?

I have to say that there has probably been some malicious compliance gone on by the main contractor. Good on them in a way, "you're absolutely sure these are the specs you want, OK then", but its pretty bad really. I'd have walked off the job.

1 hour ago, asitis said:

When does the PAC enquiry start in respect of the Prom ?

about 10 years after it is too late to do anything about it and hold anyone accountable.

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, asitis said:

When does the PAC enquiry start in respect of the Prom ?

It's a good question.

The Isle of Man Government needs to get on top of this now rather than get into bed with the contractor and put out the usual homily that everything is fine.

It looks like Quayle and his CoMin buddies have found a fall guy in Tim Baker. 

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

What do you expect though? As you say he came in at the back of this after complete incompetents like Harmer, Black and Longworth had already screwed it up beyond reasonable recovery. But he’s no super hero though is he? I can’t recall Commissioner Gordon ever calling for “Shitman” to turn up and save the city from harm? Commissioner Gordon we have a problem, but don’t call Bruce Wayne as the best way to fix this is to throw another total fucking idiot at it. That will work! 

I’m sure Baker is a perfectly decent man but who is sticking their head above the pavement on this? On the DOI side Harmer has pretty much disappeared from public view, on the DfE side Callister has managed to exempt himself from being involved in any form of investigation claiming his usual conflicts of interest he creates in his head, and now on the DOI side Baker has been wheeled in to do ......... absolutely nothing. The whole thing is a crock of shit and rather than take ownership of anything they’re all running for the hills giving the people who made it a crock of shit the empowerment to make it an event bigger crock of shit. It’s civil servants who run this island not any of those bastards.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

They've forgotten to sack Longworth, Black et al

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I’m sure Baker is a perfectly decent man but who is sticking their head above the pavement on this? On the DOI side Harmer has pretty much disappeared from public view, on the DfE side Callister has managed to exempt himself from being involved in any form of investigation claiming his usual conflicts of interest he creates in his head, and now on the DOI side Baker has been wheeled in to do ......... absolutely nothing. The whole thing is a crock of shit and rather than take ownership of anything they’re all running for the hills giving the people who made it a crock of shit the empowerment to make it an event bigger crock of shit. It’s civil servants who run this island not any of those bastards.

Pretty sure you are correct but everybody is wanting somebody in power to take it by the neck and shake violently until the deadwood falls out. I know when I voted last time around, it was in the hope that the new bunch would start acting as if they are representing those that voted them in. So far I have been very disappointed.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Pretty sure you are correct but everybody is wanting somebody in power to take it by the neck and shake violently until the deadwood falls out. I know when I voted last time around, it was in the hope that the new bunch would start acting as if they are representing those that voted them in. So far I have been very disappointed.

It shouldn’t surprise you to find out why things are now that bad here. Logically it isn’t the people who are voted in for 5 years who have created this mess is it? Its the people who have been employed for 10, 15, 20 years or more etc who you can do absolutely nothing about. They can’t even be sacked. It doesn’t really matter (within reason) who you vote for. None of them can do anything about reigning any of this mess in as it’s out of control and nobody is able to wrestle control of the driving seat. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
19 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It shouldn’t surprise you to find out why things are now that bad here. Logically it isn’t the people who are voted in for 5 years who have created this mess is it? Its the people who have been employed for 10, 15, 20 years or more etc who you can do absolutely nothing about. They can’t even be sacked. It doesn’t really matter (within reason) who you vote for. None of them can do anything about reigning any of this mess in as it’s out of control and nobody is able to wrestle control of the driving seat. 

agree with all of the above. Unless our elected lot grow a pair and start challenging then you are correct, but if enough of them have the sense and will to tackle the faceless lot then un-sackable they will remain

• Like 3
  • slinkydevil changed the title to Promenade - Megathread