Jump to content

Promenade - Megathread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've explained this before Derek. From a friend working for a firm who is responsible for lots of services  , not Auldyn etc , while they had a concept plan from day one ie what the finished job would

It's not Harmer's direct fault. Nor any of those we elect. APART from not having the departmental and relevant experience and balls to stand up to and question the reams of bullshitters and chanc

But the problem isn't the horse trams.  It's the corporate culture of the Manx civil service.  Rather than accept the reality of what their main job is, which is maintain existing structures in the mo

Posted Images

3 hours ago, monasqueen said:

There was a huge backlash to the proposal that the horse trams would terminate at the Sefton, and it was agreed in Tynwald that the track would extend to the Sea Terminal.

 

 

This is the whole thing, isn’t it?

There just wasn’t - just the shouty minority somehow boxing the project into a corner. 

At this stage, the boldest thing would be to rip the whole lot out, and just give us a billiard smooth conventional highway. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It reads like there's been too many committees and too many individuals all making independent decisions and no overall oversight and/or control. Which will all be symptomatic of a lack of leadership and direction from the top down. IoM Government crystallized in one project.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

It reads like there's been too many committees and too many individuals all making independent decisions and no overall oversight and/or control. Which will all be symptomatic of a lack of leadership and direction from the top down. IoM Government crystallized in one project.

But in short we all knew this would be an expensive unmitigated disaster as all the DOI seems to specialize in is expensive unmitigated disasters. That it became an expensive unmitigated disaster so soon doesn’t surprise many either. That the contingency fund (which covers unplanned expensive unmitigated disasters) has almost gone already doesn’t surprise me either. The obsession (and it is an obsession) with the horse trams especially seems to have been a huge factor in all of this going south as well. In effect one or two people in the DOI got what they wanted (the foundations for a commuter tram system which was specifically out of scope for the project) as they have absolutely no respect for the voting public, no respect for budgetary prudence, and absolutely no respect for anything other than their own warped career aspirations. The signaling is clear. The public can fuck off, businesses can fuck off, the Ministers can fuck off, and just about everyone else can just fuck right off as well as one person is right and 85,000 other people are wrong. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

But in short we all knew this would be an expensive unmitigated disaster as all the DOI seems to specialize in is expensive unmitigated disasters. That it became an expensive unmitigated disaster so soon doesn’t surprise many either. That the contingency fund (which covers unplanned expensive unmitigated disasters) has almost gone already doesn’t surprise me either. The obsession (and it is an obsession) with the horse trams especially seems to have been a huge factor in all of this going south as well. In effect one or two people in the DOI got what they wanted (the foundations for a commuter tram system which was specifically out of scope for the project) as they have absolutely no respect for the voting public, no respect for budgetary prudence, and absolutely no respect for anything other than their own warped career aspirations. The signaling is clear. The public can fuck off, businesses can fuck off, the Ministers can fuck off, and just about everyone else can just fuck right off as well as one person is right and 85,000 other people are wrong. 

Respect. You always talk sense and say it as it is .  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you will find the levels  at the Loch Prom end are for the shared space idea that was thought to be the most stupid idea going, but looks like that has also been pressed ahead. If you look at the other end around the Queens you see the drainage kerbs in place. Also the drains and raised ironwork on the Loch end is level with what would be the walk way, Look forward to seeing the water go straight across the prom and down into the below ground swimming pools ofall the hotels and onward into town. At least it will wash any dog shite away in town, All ways a silver lining

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WTF said:

atleast there won't be any puddles on the prom with the camber they're doing,  just fish ponds in the gutters because the drains are bound to be useless too.

There was quite a bit of standing water the other week, I'm sure it's all in hand.

 

4 hours ago, monasqueen said:

There was a huge backlash to the proposal that the horse trams would terminate at the Sefton, and it was agreed in Tynwald that the track would extend to the Sea Terminal.

There appears to have been no debate, or agreement, in Tynwald, in respect of the trams only proceeding beyond that point on special occasions.

Similarly, no-one seems to have considered the fact that when the horses cross from the centre of the road to the seaward side of the road, some means of stopping the road traffic to let them past might just be a good idea.

There is also the point that at some time in the future, there might be an extension of the MER trams to the Sea Terminal,. Again , will these only be on special occasions, or could we have commuter trams? in which case, won't they need some form of signalling to stop the road traffic temporarily?

 

And a long extension cable.

Edited by MadAsHell
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Maybe they'll give Watling Streetworks a permanent contract for the horsetram signals?

Who needs horse tram signals? Here we have yet another non heritage feature being added at the cost of £800k to an alleged 150 year old heritage tram system. The Victorians would have passed a stick to each other or some other such simple process. But no we need to spend £1M on a state of the art signaling system because we either want to run the worlds most modern non-heritage heritage tram way, or we want to replace it with an electric tramway. They can’t even lie convincingly enough now as even the massive convoluted lies they have made up to justify this bollocks of a project make no sense to anyone who isn’t educationally subnormal. What heritage tram way anywhere has to have a million quids worth of state of the art electronic signaling installed? 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems that as the tramway is new , it can no longer be entitled to have “ grandfather “ rights in terms of  safety - signaling etc.

In other words what was historically OK is no longer acceptable.

After all, it was built a long time ago - the time of the Titanic disaster and attitudes to public safety have changed and traffic is massively different.

By the same argument,  a tram system running down the centre of a busy road in 1912 was  thought nothing unusual , but for modern traffic such a design is an act of  determined and blinkered folly.Even  incorporating the novelty of pink concrete to warn alighting passengers they are about to get knocked down, can not make such a design acceptably safe!

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by hampsterkahn
  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

I think you will find the levels  at the Loch Prom end are for the shared space idea that was thought to be the most stupid idea going, but looks like that has also been pressed ahead. If you look at the other end around the Queens you see the drainage kerbs in place. Also the drains and raised ironwork on the Loch end is level with what would be the walk way, Look forward to seeing the water go straight across the prom and down into the below ground swimming pools ofall the hotels and onward into town. At least it will wash any dog shite away in town, All ways a silver lining

That'll be the shared space that starts at the new cultural quarter which is massively focussed on the Sefton. It's almost as if they're the only hotel group in town.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • slinkydevil changed the title to Promenade - Megathread

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...