Promenade - Megathread

On 8/11/2020 at 10:01 AM, Dave Hedgehog said:

Wouldn't they be better off putting a sign at the top of Howard St opposite TK Maxx saying 'We are open'

Yes it's tough for the businesses but maybe being a bit pro active with marketing rather than just expecting people to walk through the door as normal may be a tad more constructive.

I bet you need permission or a permit to put a sign out. Elf and safety. Someone could trip over it. The corpy would go wild. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've explained this before Derek. From a friend working for a firm who is responsible for lots of services  , not Auldyn etc , while they had a concept plan from day one ie what the finished job would

It's not Harmer's direct fault. Nor any of those we elect. APART from not having the departmental and relevant experience and balls to stand up to and question the reams of bullshitters and chanc

But the problem isn't the horse trams.  It's the corporate culture of the Manx civil service.  Rather than accept the reality of what their main job is, which is maintain existing structures in the mo

Posted Images

On 8/10/2020 at 3:27 PM, Beelzebub3 said:

I have had a walk along the prom again this morning to see if any progress was being made after my last visit, boy oh boy it would make you cry if you were paying for that lot, DOI chap, bossy looking type having a chat with a fellow leaning a longtail shovel , had a good chat then fellow on shovel got out his moby, shovel dropped. I dispair at the attitude of staff at work on that job. If you are in the public eye and the job is under constant criticism ffs at least be discreet and f^^k off up a side street to get on your phone, there was no apparent urgency about getting anything done and that was 09.20 so cant say they were not on brew, give up looking after Broadway.

Black and his team's incompetent leadership has survived for years despite screw ups like the airport shutting because it ran out of de-icer or forgetting to open.. really ! Or all the buses stopped and the schools and office closed because they didn't bother to get out of bed to grit the roads! Or every Highways worksite looking like a holiday camp! 

What we see on the Prom is just the culmination of all those years of management abdication in the name of an easy life crystallised into one huge horror show that is too big to finally turn a blind eye to.

The real issue is that a workforce doing little or nothing and plant standing idle is costing the tax payer thousands every day, never mind the disruption and business costs to everyone remotely involved, and every day paying the idiots that are responsible for it just adds insult to injury. So when a Minister says something will be completed "on time and on budget" what does that tell you about how the DoI does its timings and budgets so when it all ends horribly just think how horrible it really will be and how much good that wasted money could be used elsewhere, such as in healthcare.

Really can't imagine what Black and his team have to do any more to get fired. If only we had some politicians with enough courage to care more about upsetting their voters instead of the serially incompetent senior public servants who don't give a shit about them or their voters. Looks like a perfect recipe for some new politicians.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

We had a tranche of new politicians at the last election. Look what happened since? They are put in Departmental post and are then, for some strange reason, obliged to defend that Dept to the hilt regardless of the magnitude of the foul up. Baker now at DOI is a sterling example.

Unless we all believe that he's seriously knocking some heads together behind the scenes the DOI (and it's promenade to name but one) are carrying on regardless.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I’m talking about a group of people with conviction politics who can agree to stand on a common platform to sort this shit out, elect a CM and actually make the biggest difference  politicians can probably make to this island which is to efficiently sort out it’s expenditure. The money that would save, even just from the DOI, would make everything else look like dancing around the edges. 

8 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

They are put in Departmental post and are then, for some strange reason, obliged to defend that Dept to the hilt regardless of the magnitude of the foul up

Black and his colleagues have been running rings around politicians for a long time at the expense of everyone and it appears the current crop are no different. Unless we just give up with a shrug the only recourse is to do what politicians fear most and vote to change them until we get what’s needed. Anyone with the stated conviction to sort that lot out, at least as part of their pitch, would definitely get my vote and I suspect a lot of others.

13 minutes ago, Lewis said:

Black and his colleagues have been running rings around politicians for a long time at the expense of everyone and it appears the current crop are no different. Unless we just give up with a shrug the only recourse is to do what politicians fear most and vote to change them until we get what’s needed. Anyone with the stated conviction to sort that lot out, at least as part of their pitch, would definitely get my vote and I suspect a lot of others.

I heard Mr Baker on the radio this morning and either he is wearing blinkers or just plain stupid to believe that the Prom works is progressing well, DOI management will be telling him a load of bullshit and he not knowing f^^k all about how major schemes work will take it in. I will be taking photos next week if I get down the Prom and will then see how well things are progressing.

23 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

I heard Mr Baker on the radio this morning and either he is wearing blinkers or just plain stupid to believe that the Prom works is progressing well, DOI management will be telling him a load of bullshit and he not knowing f^^k all about how major schemes work will take it in. I will be taking photos next week if I get down the Prom and will then see how well things are progressing.

You don't need photos to see how badly its going...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Beelzebub3 said:

To be fair, unless any of us are civil engineers, we don't really know how well the works are going. I had a look a few times yesterday and felt that it was progressing okay? I only base that on the amount of work that seems to have been done under what will be the surface and how quickly that surface can come together?

I still feel that a bigger team blitzing the thing would minimise the big problems it is causing to businesses though!

Edited by Max Power

You don't need to be a Civil Engineer (and I'm not) to see that a job that is;

massively over budget;

massively behind schedule;

having its plant and labour standing idle in full public view for much of the working day;

reliably described in information from contractors and even colleagues of of the project management and published minutes of meetings as being a total shambles with the attendant excuses;

being openly criticised by normally compliant and noiseless politicians;

To know that things are not going as well as they could be, either.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 1

Unfortunately the timescale is going to invoke all sorts of criticism, some of it justified, some not. 

My main gripe is that I'm certain that it could have been completed in half the time if they weren't working to the usual DoI pace of progress. They have brought a lot of criticism in this respect upon themselves because they are not attuned to the taxpayers concerns and misgivings and act as though they are a law unto themselves. I feel that the job itself is progressing as well as it can be, considering the DoI are involved. 

Heard only today that the tram rails are stopping now at or around Castle Mona Avenue and not the War Memrial as I thought . Did I pick that up wrong or was it always to be CMA? So that means thats alot of digging up of temporary infill in September 2021 ! At what cost ? I did hear also the roundabout bottom of broadway will be tarmac and again finished as plan again in 2021 . If so it would seem they have again cut back on works to be done before April 1st 

Edited by Numbnuts

Full page spread on P3 of tonight's Indy, Mr Baker given many column inches to explain the Prom situation, including that he "inherited" much of this.

He also claims that "there was not a lot of progress in the early stages"...(nor the later ones either eh, Tim?) and that the whole job is "akin to heart surgery"....presumably the actual life of the patient isn't a consideration in DOI thinking then?

But the various contractors are now having to wear different coloured hats now to help with identification and social distancing. So progress then. "And people don't mind the inconvenience as long as they can see progress".

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • slinkydevil changed the title to Promenade - Megathread