Promenade - Megathread

12 minutes ago, Holte End said:

Since Rob Callister took over from Jason Moorhouse on Ports, it seems to have gone down hill some what.

That's because, somewhat remarkably, Callister is actually shitter at everything than Moorehouse.

• Haha 2
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've explained this before Derek. From a friend working for a firm who is responsible for lots of services  , not Auldyn etc , while they had a concept plan from day one ie what the finished job would

It's not Harmer's direct fault. Nor any of those we elect. APART from not having the departmental and relevant experience and balls to stand up to and question the reams of bullshitters and chanc

But the problem isn't the horse trams.  It's the corporate culture of the Manx civil service.  Rather than accept the reality of what their main job is, which is maintain existing structures in the mo

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Holte End said:

The interim appointment of Rob Callister to DOI.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/callister-to-doi-just-an-interim-appointment/

Question 2 states:

Consequently no members have been formally appointed to Departments on an interim basis by the Council of Ministers during this or any previous administration.

https://www.tynwald.org.im/business/hansard/20002020/t200915 Early Written Answers.pdf

So just wtf is really going on, either they are just playing silly buggers or there is some more devious manipulation of the truth going on here.

Since Rob Callister took over from Jason Moorhouse on Ports, it seems to have gone down hill some what.

Will be some loopholes so they can avoid giving full truth, if you look at all the answers given this month some of them seem a little hard to believe.

22 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Bet Moorehouse makes better chips. Still not good chips mind.

They seem to appeal to seagulls though...or was that icecream?

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo

The DoI is so large, I doubt anyone can make a significant change in only a few weeks. But anyway what can a minister do if he cannot fire an incompetent civil servant.
In any case, the DoI, if not all of the gov., is an idiocracy, not a meritocracy.

An idiocracy is where the person at the top is just about smart enough to realise he isn't that good, so makes sure the next one down is worse than him - and so on down the hierarchy.

Sometimes it just comes from a non-meeting of minds during an interview e.g.
Interviewer: We are going to spend £30 million resurfacing 1.5 miles of road. What do you think of that?
Interviewee: By Christ, you can't be serious!
Interviewer: I'm afraid you do have the intellectual qualities necessary to work for the DoI

I suspect there isn't anyone, in any DoI design meeting, who is capable of showing any common sense.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Holte End said:

So just wtf is really going on, either they are just playing silly buggers or there is some more devious manipulation of the truth going on here.

This is basically just Edge winding up her Onchan colleague - pointing out that his 'interim' appointment was literally meaningless designation.  At most he should have said "I'm joining now, but will be resigning on x date", but being Callister he made a big thing about it.

That's assuming of course that he actually is a member at all - he's not listed as such on the DoI website.

I don't know whether Moorhouse was responsible for ports.  I think he only had nominal control over public transport.  Certainly when he resigned he said: Listing the highlights of his time at the DoI over the past four years, he cited the new horse tram depot at Strathallan and the introduction of ConnectVillages dial-a-ride in the north of the island

If those were the highlights - a massively expensive new shed and a door-to-door taxi service that still managed to get used by few people than the normal bus service before it - you shudder to think what the rest of it was like (well to be honest, we know).

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

but being Callister he made a big thing about it.

I not sure who ran Airport and ports before, but for someone who is never off social media, you would think we might know why -

1) He thought he was just an Interim appointment at the DOI.

2) The Airport did not open, even though there was a plane in the skys,which had to be diverted to Liverpool,

3) What happened to the Ben -my -chree and how much it has cost,

4)Why 21 jobs at Airport are to go,

5) When the Liverpool sea terminal will be open

6) Why he was removed from DHA.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Holte End said:

I not sure who ran Airport and ports before, but for someone who is never off social media, you would think we might know why -

2) The Airport did not open, even though there was a plane in the skys,which had to be diverted to Liverpool,

3DDC4589-B833-445C-B658-6853B39B9F35.jpeg

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Holte End said:

You could always email him and ask the questions...

Looks like the teflon-shouldered Black and Robinson chaps are trying to offload the responsibility for their epic clusterf@@k onto the contractors. In true, self-preserving civil servant fashion. Baker is merely their lapdog messenger.

This will all come out in the wash, I'd guarantee it.

• Like 1