Jump to content

Promenade - Megathread


slinkydevil
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Looks like the teflon-shouldered Black and Robinson chaps are trying to offload the responsibility for their epic clusterf@@k onto the contractors. In true, self-preserving civil servant fashion. Baker is merely their lapdog messenger.

This will all come out in the wash, I'd guarantee it.

Two there who should have been on MERA. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been in contact with Nick Black and Keith Podmore via Rob Callister and asked them several questions:

A good friend who owned a building company has looked over this and tbh he was shocked at just how unprofessional and how open to abuse the whole thing is...

I just dread to think just how much the whole thing will end up costing both in monetary terms and time.

Below is the email trail (I've removed some personal details etc)

I have put my questions in italics 

Dear Maire,

 

Nick Black has requested I respond to your recent emailed questions, responses provided below.

 

Should you require any clarification or have further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

 

Please verify what local firms are involved and under what conditions are they integrating with the main contractor?

The following companies are sub-contractors to the main contractor:

 o   Stephen Christian and Sons Ltd      

o   Excel                                         

o   Island Drainage & Groundworks Ltd

o   JCK Ltd                                      

o   K Henry Construction Ltd              

o   Gibson Paving                             

o   SCUK Global Services                    

o   Watling Streetworks Ltd                

o   Sweeney Groundworks Ltd            

o   TQC                                                    

o   RGW Ltd                                    

o   Island Civils & Plant Ltd                

o   C&C Groundworks Ltd                                               

o   DWT Ltd                                    

Are there detailed drawings for every aspect of the works or is the work being carried out merely with schematics. If there are detailed drawings are they being produced on an ad hoc basis or were these available to the main contractor at tender?

Detailed design drawings are provided for all aspects of the construction work. At tender stage, a full set of outline design drawings were provided. Finalised detailed design drawings have been updated where required and provided to the Contractor throughout the construction period.

Was there a BoQ, Bill of Quantities, produced prior to tender, in fact, does one exist at all? If there is a BoQ in existence, are there any contingencies allowed for, if so what are these contingencies and in what sum?

A detailed Bill of Quantities was provided at Tender Stage. The Contract is procured under the ‘NEC ECC Option B – Priced contract with bill of quantities’. A Client contingency of £1.25M has been allocated to the scheme.                                                                                                                          
 

Please can you confirm that the penalty clause commences on March 2021 despite Covid 19.

The penalty clause commences 6 weeks after the Completion Date.
 

With reference to your comment, " We already have every civil engineering contractor on the Island working on the scheme with the exception of one firm that is too busy."  Are these firms being employed (a) as sub-contractors by the main contractor, (b) nominated sub-contractors or, (c) directly by the Dept of Public Works and on loan to the main contractor?

The firms listed above are employed as sub-contractors by the main contractor. The exception to this is a DOI workforce whom are undertaking works at the side streets on Loch Promenade; this work was de-scoped from the main contract following the impact of the COVID-19 shutdown.

Have any extensions been granted in principle, if so, how much time has been awarded?

Under the Contract, the Completion Date can be changed following a Compensation Event that has demonstrated a time impact to the programmed work on the critical path. Following the re-start after the COVID-19 shutdown and to date, the agreed Completion Date of 31st March 2021 has not changed.
 

Are there regular site meetings to discuss progress, if so, is there a Quantity Surveyor acting on the government's behalf at these meetings?

Progress meetings are held weekly. There are also numerous other meeting which are held on a weekly / two weekly or monthly basis.

Bell Burton Associates act on behalf of the Department as Cost Consultants and attend all necessary meetings.
 

Who is the Quantity Surveyor?

See above

 

On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 at 12:54, Black, Nick <nick.black@gov.im> wrote:

Dear Maire

 

I have answered your questions within the email below.  I have put them in bold so that you can work out what has been added.

 

Nick

 

What is the budgeted manpower for the works and how many workers should be on site at any one time?

The Contractor has provided a programme for completing the works and is responsible for providing sufficient plant and labour to achieve this programme. There is no minimum or maximum figure to accompany this requirement. Worker numbers will also fluctuate based on the activities being undertaken, however the current daily average is 50 construction workers on site.

Given the size and economic impact of the project would it not be prudent to have a minimum of man power for the work, I would argue that there are not on average 50 daily - maybe 50 over the course of a full day but I have driven down mid morning and mid afternoon and the most I counted was 47 - the least was 3 (on a working day) 

Speaking to a project manager who is used to doing major works he has advised that there should be 150-200 per day especially given the time scales.

That would be great but we already have every civil engineering contractor on the Island working on the scheme with the exception of one firm that is too busy.  We cannot import labour from the UK due to border controls.  We have committed as many of our own staff as we can.  The contractor would love to be able to find more staff but we are a small Island with a limited workforce.

what are the penalty clauses for overruns on works schedule?

For late completion, the Contractor will be liable for £3,000 per week of overrun. 

thanks please confirm that this will kick in March 2021

It will, unless the contractor makes any successful claims for extra time under the NEC contract process.

Are there any clauses for roads not reopening as per timetable - IE Broadway over 7 weeks late 

In the case of Broadway no- this was a decision of the Department to facilitate the re-opening of 2 way traffic.

is there a detailed schedule of works?

The Contractor provides a comprehensive programme of work to completion. Additionally the contractor provides a four week look ahead programme which is published on the myProm website.

I'm afraid that this is usually out of date - where can the public find the comprehensive programme of works from beginning to planned completion? 

I will ask for the up to date links to be sent to you.

what is the cost for the unused machinery that sits on the site?

As per above, the Contractor provides the plant required to undertake the work. Unused plant on site does not incur additional cost to Government.'

Why has the full prom been worked on at one time rather than in sections?

Due to the nature of the work and topography of the Promenade, it is necessary to install new services (gas main, water mains etc.) in long lengths. These lengths have where possible, been kept to a minimum. Since the impact of Covid-19, the Department have worked with the Contractor to complete the scheme by March 2021. To achieve this, larger sections of works are again inevitable.  The Department made it clear that it was choosing additional disruption now to give the visitor economy the best possible start to 2021.

Noted, however given the limited amount of manpower and actual workers on site is this feasible? Would it not be prudent to concentrate more crew at a smaller site?  

The Minister made it clear that he wanted to get the scheme done before the 2021 visitor season.  The Department asked the contractor to accelerate the scheme and in doing this removed a lot of the constraints that had been imposed to reduce the impact of the works.  Length of closures was one of the restrictions that we removed.

what has Loch prom alone taken almost 2 years

The works undertaken on Loch Promenade (new gas main, new water mains, new high and low voltage electric cable installations) have all taken a considerable length of time to install. The highway and footway construction is being completed after the installation of these services and the landside footway now almost complete. It must also be stated that throughout the work, access to businesses, residents etc. has always been maintained and this inevitably slows down the construction work and efficiency of construction.

Again the above - even with access maintained - this area of prom should not take more than 2 years to complete, why have more staff not been used to get this completed sooner? 

 As before- there are no more suitable construction workers available to the scheme.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Harmer said on starting the scheme it would be finished by October 2020 ! A major fail in every possible way. No details on how much the works will be now costing although Black has already stated stopping and continuing in September 2021 will cost more !. How much more I wonder . No change out of 35 million I'd say . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Harmer said on starting the scheme it would be finished by October 2020 ! A major fail in every possible way. No details on how much the works will be now costing although Black has already stated stopping and continuing in September 2021 will cost more !. How much more I wonder . No change out of 35 million I'd say . 

Why don’t we just import some more workers and quarantine them in the various empty hotels outside working hours. They get all meals , drinks etc in rooms and I’m sure we could get them over on a charter plane .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Banker said:

Why don’t we just import some more workers and quarantine them in the various empty hotels outside working hours. They get all meals , drinks etc in rooms and I’m sure we could get them over on a charter plane .

Yes why not . But clearly they didn't think it out before they entered into the contract. You would have thought a contractor would have to confirm they had enough staff before giving them the job . Clearly this didn't happen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Maire said:

I have been in contact with Nick Black and Keith Podmore via Rob Callister and asked them several questions:

A good friend who owned a building company has looked over this and tbh he was shocked at just how unprofessional and how open to abuse the whole thing is...

I just dread to think just how much the whole thing will end up costing both in monetary terms and time.

Below is the email trail (I've removed some personal details etc)

I have put my questions in italics 

Dear Maire,

 

Nick Black has requested I respond to your recent emailed questions, responses provided below.

 

Should you require any clarification or have further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

 

Please verify what local firms are involved and under what conditions are they integrating with the main contractor?

The following companies are sub-contractors to the main contractor:

 o   Stephen Christian and Sons Ltd      

o   Excel                                         

o   Island Drainage & Groundworks Ltd

o   JCK Ltd                                      

o   K Henry Construction Ltd              

o   Gibson Paving                             

o   SCUK Global Services                    

o   Watling Streetworks Ltd                

o   Sweeney Groundworks Ltd            

o   TQC                                                    

o   RGW Ltd                                    

o   Island Civils & Plant Ltd                

o   C&C Groundworks Ltd                                               

o   DWT Ltd                                    

Are there detailed drawings for every aspect of the works or is the work being carried out merely with schematics. If there are detailed drawings are they being produced on an ad hoc basis or were these available to the main contractor at tender?

Detailed design drawings are provided for all aspects of the construction work. At tender stage, a full set of outline design drawings were provided. Finalised detailed design drawings have been updated where required and provided to the Contractor throughout the construction period.

Was there a BoQ, Bill of Quantities, produced prior to tender, in fact, does one exist at all? If there is a BoQ in existence, are there any contingencies allowed for, if so what are these contingencies and in what sum?

A detailed Bill of Quantities was provided at Tender Stage. The Contract is procured under the ‘NEC ECC Option B – Priced contract with bill of quantities’. A Client contingency of £1.25M has been allocated to the scheme.                                                                                                                          
 

Please can you confirm that the penalty clause commences on March 2021 despite Covid 19.

The penalty clause commences 6 weeks after the Completion Date.
 

With reference to your comment, " We already have every civil engineering contractor on the Island working on the scheme with the exception of one firm that is too busy."  Are these firms being employed (a) as sub-contractors by the main contractor, (b) nominated sub-contractors or, (c) directly by the Dept of Public Works and on loan to the main contractor?

The firms listed above are employed as sub-contractors by the main contractor. The exception to this is a DOI workforce whom are undertaking works at the side streets on Loch Promenade; this work was de-scoped from the main contract following the impact of the COVID-19 shutdown.

Have any extensions been granted in principle, if so, how much time has been awarded?

Under the Contract, the Completion Date can be changed following a Compensation Event that has demonstrated a time impact to the programmed work on the critical path. Following the re-start after the COVID-19 shutdown and to date, the agreed Completion Date of 31st March 2021 has not changed.
 

Are there regular site meetings to discuss progress, if so, is there a Quantity Surveyor acting on the government's behalf at these meetings?

Progress meetings are held weekly. There are also numerous other meeting which are held on a weekly / two weekly or monthly basis.

Bell Burton Associates act on behalf of the Department as Cost Consultants and attend all necessary meetings.
 

Who is the Quantity Surveyor?

See above

 

On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 at 12:54, Black, Nick <nick.black@gov.im> wrote:

Dear Maire

 

I have answered your questions within the email below.  I have put them in bold so that you can work out what has been added.

 

Nick

 

What is the budgeted manpower for the works and how many workers should be on site at any one time?

The Contractor has provided a programme for completing the works and is responsible for providing sufficient plant and labour to achieve this programme. There is no minimum or maximum figure to accompany this requirement. Worker numbers will also fluctuate based on the activities being undertaken, however the current daily average is 50 construction workers on site.

Given the size and economic impact of the project would it not be prudent to have a minimum of man power for the work, I would argue that there are not on average 50 daily - maybe 50 over the course of a full day but I have driven down mid morning and mid afternoon and the most I counted was 47 - the least was 3 (on a working day) 

Speaking to a project manager who is used to doing major works he has advised that there should be 150-200 per day especially given the time scales.

That would be great but we already have every civil engineering contractor on the Island working on the scheme with the exception of one firm that is too busy.  We cannot import labour from the UK due to border controls.  We have committed as many of our own staff as we can.  The contractor would love to be able to find more staff but we are a small Island with a limited workforce.

what are the penalty clauses for overruns on works schedule?

For late completion, the Contractor will be liable for £3,000 per week of overrun. 

thanks please confirm that this will kick in March 2021

It will, unless the contractor makes any successful claims for extra time under the NEC contract process.

Are there any clauses for roads not reopening as per timetable - IE Broadway over 7 weeks late 

In the case of Broadway no- this was a decision of the Department to facilitate the re-opening of 2 way traffic.

is there a detailed schedule of works?

The Contractor provides a comprehensive programme of work to completion. Additionally the contractor provides a four week look ahead programme which is published on the myProm website.

I'm afraid that this is usually out of date - where can the public find the comprehensive programme of works from beginning to planned completion? 

I will ask for the up to date links to be sent to you.

what is the cost for the unused machinery that sits on the site?

As per above, the Contractor provides the plant required to undertake the work. Unused plant on site does not incur additional cost to Government.'

Why has the full prom been worked on at one time rather than in sections?

Due to the nature of the work and topography of the Promenade, it is necessary to install new services (gas main, water mains etc.) in long lengths. These lengths have where possible, been kept to a minimum. Since the impact of Covid-19, the Department have worked with the Contractor to complete the scheme by March 2021. To achieve this, larger sections of works are again inevitable.  The Department made it clear that it was choosing additional disruption now to give the visitor economy the best possible start to 2021.

Noted, however given the limited amount of manpower and actual workers on site is this feasible? Would it not be prudent to concentrate more crew at a smaller site?  

The Minister made it clear that he wanted to get the scheme done before the 2021 visitor season.  The Department asked the contractor to accelerate the scheme and in doing this removed a lot of the constraints that had been imposed to reduce the impact of the works.  Length of closures was one of the restrictions that we removed.

what has Loch prom alone taken almost 2 years

The works undertaken on Loch Promenade (new gas main, new water mains, new high and low voltage electric cable installations) have all taken a considerable length of time to install. The highway and footway construction is being completed after the installation of these services and the landside footway now almost complete. It must also be stated that throughout the work, access to businesses, residents etc. has always been maintained and this inevitably slows down the construction work and efficiency of construction.

Again the above - even with access maintained - this area of prom should not take more than 2 years to complete, why have more staff not been used to get this completed sooner? 

 As before- there are no more suitable construction workers available to the scheme.

 

Kind of you to waste so much Gov. time, with them having to answer stupid questions, obvious loaded for whatever reason. Hope you feel better now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Kind of you to waste so much Gov. time, with them having to answer stupid questions, obvious loaded for whatever reason. Hope you feel better now.

Fucks sake Dilli, the prom is a disaster, these kind of questions need asking. The pressure on those in charge from the public should by now be huge, they've fucked it up more than we all even expected, and we'll be paying these wankers until they're dead. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Fucks sake Dilli, the prom is a disaster, these kind of questions need asking. The pressure on those in charge from the public should by now be huge, they've fucked it up more than we all even expected, and we'll be paying these wankers until they're dead. 

To be honest, I doubt any poster on here has a fucking clue as to what is involved in this major job. They aren’t laying paving or just resurfacing the road . Just talk a walk along the prom and see for yourself what is involved. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, ptarmigan said:

I don’t think anyone doubts that it’s not a major job with multiple issues, huge budget and lots of stakeholders.  But it was poorly planned, politically driven timescales, badly budgeted and barely controlled. And I’m staggered that nick black is still CEO.   

Er, it IS a major job. Sorry, but you said that wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...