Promenade - Megathread

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

How much are we up to now for the hire of cones and signage alone, I wonder?

Ask Dougie, he must be feckin' rolling in money by now and there is no end in sight..

Edited by Barlow
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've explained this before Derek. From a friend working for a firm who is responsible for lots of services  , not Auldyn etc , while they had a concept plan from day one ie what the finished job would

It's not Harmer's direct fault. Nor any of those we elect. APART from not having the departmental and relevant experience and balls to stand up to and question the reams of bullshitters and chanc

But the problem isn't the horse trams.  It's the corporate culture of the Manx civil service.  Rather than accept the reality of what their main job is, which is maintain existing structures in the mo

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Max Power said:

13 minutes ago, Max Power said:

It's a 'big job' in Manx terms though. Auldyn Construction wouldn't be considered for Crossrail or the Channel Tunnel and the budget would be a lot more than the Prom. I imagine the project is too small for Costain Group?

It's a small job for their parent company who should be able to advise them

6 hours ago, ptarmigan said:

[...] I repeat, how has Nick still got that job? 

I know I've said this for years on here (since he was appointed in fact) but Black was not appointed to head the DoI and then turned out to be useless and unable to control things.  He got the job because of those very qualities.  So there's absolutely no reason to get rid of him, he's performing as required.

It's the old saying - the purpose of a system is what it does.  If Black has been in charge of the DoI for seven years, it's because it suits the purposes of the DoI and the wider Manx Civil Service (or at least doesn't interfere with the later too much[1]).  If the DoI has consistently misspent vast amount of money to produce not very much, then that is what it is there for.

[1]  The only time when CEOs have been removed in the past have been when their actions meant that things would have been made more difficult for other Departments, as with Chris Corlett at the DED.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, dilligaf said:

I was being pedantic in my reply to ptarmigan, because of his double negative. But it still is a big job in my view, not being a prom builder like so many on here.

Maybe the Manx Forums’ team of experts should be down there taking control of the whole job. It would be completed in a month.:whistling:

The kids from St Mary's could have planned it better

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

God bless their little souls. FFS, bringing religion into the debate is a first 

Edited by dilligaf
  • Haha 2
Just now, dilligaf said:

God bless their little souls. FFS, bringing religion into 5he debate is a first 

It was brought in long before this dilli, they've been operating on a wing and  prayer for months...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

It was brought in long before this dilli, they've been operating on a wing and  prayer for months...

I should have known better, sorry :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

Or St Trinians.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

The only time when CEOs have been removed in the past have been when their actions meant that things would have been made more difficult for other Departments, as with Chris Corlett at the DED

Just as an aside, is this what happened to Charters and Crouch and the others in DHSC? I think there has been around 6 or 7 since Killip hasn't there?

Edited by Apple
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It’s getting to the point that it’s going to take longer doing this than it took the Victorians to build it with horse drawn carts and shovels in the first place. 

It took the Victorians 6 months to build the road between Derby Castle. and Groudle, complete with adjacent tram tracks.

It took a similar length of time to build the Snaefell Mountain Railway.

With the Prom, you've got a head start, because it's already a level bit of road!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1