Promenade - Megathread

15 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

The bottom of Broadway won't be open by end of next month, October is the second wettest month of the year.

Ah, but the Gods of the DOI have the divine capacity to declare an Indian summer and autumn in order to progress the work.

And an equally divine capacity to bullshit just in case it doesn't materialise.

• Like 2
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've explained this before Derek. From a friend working for a firm who is responsible for lots of services  , not Auldyn etc , while they had a concept plan from day one ie what the finished job would

It's not Harmer's direct fault. Nor any of those we elect. APART from not having the departmental and relevant experience and balls to stand up to and question the reams of bullshitters and chanc

But the problem isn't the horse trams.  It's the corporate culture of the Manx civil service.  Rather than accept the reality of what their main job is, which is maintain existing structures in the mo

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, Nellie said:

After next Thursday, (1st October) they have 26 weeks (less Xmas) to finish.  It looks like a huge ask.

When they say "finished" do they also mean  the walkway? Which is of course the actual promenade.  As far as I am concerned its not finished until its completely finished. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, NoTail said:

When they say "finished" do they also mean  the walkway? Which is of course the actual promenade.  As far as I am concerned its not finished until its completely finished. 

Baker's definition of 'finished' by April 2021, is:-

• Horse trams running from Derby Castle to Castle Mona Avenue
  • Remainder of horse trams route on Harris and Loch Proms covered in grass, with rails to be laid over Winter 2021/22
  • Walkway left untouched until Winter 2021/22, when it'll be fully renewed
  • Rest of the roadway, pavements, parking, street furniture, cultural area completed
  • All new streetlights installed 
  • All fencing and cones removed

Even so, they look likely to miss the 1st April target, by miles.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

The bottom of Broadway won't be open by end of next month, October is the second wettest month of the year.

Based on progress this week, I'd agree. There's no chance. 

Church Road Marina is supposed to be reopened a couple of weeks later, and that looks even less likely.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Nellie said:

Baker's definition of 'finished' by April 2021, is:-

• Horse trams running from Derby Castle to Castle Mona Avenue
  • Remainder of horse trams route on Harris and Loch Proms covered in grass, with rails to be laid over Winter 2021/22
  • Walkway left untouched until Winter 2021/22, when it'll be fully renewed
  • Rest of the roadway, pavements, parking, street furniture, cultural area completed
  • All new streetlights installed 
  • All fencing and cones removed

Even so, they look likely to miss the 1st April target, by miles.

So it won't be finished until some time in 2022. Thanks for that.

Walking along the prom, after work every night, brings back hazy memories of my younger days, when I used to get home a bit the worse for wear, and the missus would have moved the furniture around yet again. Gotta tread carefully in the dark, so you don't kick or break anything. I'm all for a bit of nostalgia.

dates had slipped again mainly due to issues with [...] the gas main being within 0.5m of the road surface.

Haha, that was OBVIOUS from the photos. There are rules about that kind of thing, it is no surprise that this has been flagged up. There is no way that gas main was deep enough, its really simple stuff.

119564462_2688507641395426_554704396367492085_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=ug4CEOUW6u8AX8waDx2&_nc_ht=scontent.fiom1-1.fna&oh=bb0bbe4f463010c4945dee959324f040&oe=5F9BB701

Edited by TheTeapot
Added photo
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1