Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

39 minutes ago, Nellie said:

I noticed today that they were also lifting the blocks on the crossing by Senna Slip as a large number had moved under the weight of traffic. No idea if they will rethink this or just put them back down, as they were.

By Quids inn ? apparently all around there has to be lifted as its wrong and subsidence taken place . Thats DOI I think though that did that so they will have to put it right . At our expense of course 

11 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I thought they were all amalgamated under G.U.S.? I know the MEA/Water Authority schemes were absorbed because I know a couple of guys in there...they both reckon that the MEA/Water schemes were screwed over on amalgamation because their schemes were adequately funded; unlike what they were being sucked into.

I'm not sure the public sector schemes were ever adequately funded.  They were funded, for sure, but when you look at it the likes of the Fire Service and Police, despite employees paying perhaps 10 to 15% would have needed and addition 25 to 30% from the employer to provide the sort of retirement packages they do.

I dont really know if rolling anything into GUS made a difference for no other reason than general taxation or reserves is always going to pick up pensions shortfalls no matter if they had segregation of pots or not.

15 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Before 2016, there was a couple of guy's over from the UK  think they worked for Hyder (favoured consultants) that were carrying out design work for the prom around 2014 and one chap was on it for 4 years and to be fair everytime he had drafted a plan it was threw back , a few more came over and soon realised they were wasting their time as the hierarchy changed their mind constantly, I suspect that is still happening with the 3 amigos NB/JR/IL. The full cost of the promenade will be well hidden and will be booked out to allsort's of project's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NoTail said:

Can anyone here remember when work started on the Prom? We were trying to remember last night but could not get the answer.

Actually work , men in Hi Vis boots on the ground was around September 2018 . If you remember they started removing the flower garden etc outside the Sefton then proceded to pop up all long the area in various places , ' getting ready' for works to commence . I remember well Harmers statement that when up and running there would be 60/70 men at anyone time working on there on what will be a two year contract . Mmmmm that went well didnt it !  Supposedly finished by October 2020 but we all know thats not happening . We all can be accused of being cynical , certainly me ,  when it comes to DOI schemes but they dont let us down do they ! 

Of course planning , appeals and redrawn plans started long time before then as if you remember there was the petition driven by the late Murray Lamben against the trams going on the walkway . From memory plans and design cost in excess of 4 million .

Edited by Numbnuts

10 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

By Quids inn ? apparently all around there has to be lifted as its wrong and subsidence taken place . Thats DOI I think though that did that so they will have to put it right . At our expense of course 

Yes, that's the location. As you say, it is DoI's own gangs. Using them was supposed to speed things up, and these Loch Prom side streets were going to be finished by November!  Another Black/Baker/Robinson promise that went down the toilet.

59 minutes ago, Driver2020 said:

As I have said before the material they are using in the subase is sub standard and certainly wouldn't pass any compaction tests. 

Any ideas why they have gone for this rather than tried and trusted materials ?? 

3 hours ago, Cypman said:

I do wonder if rolled crushed stone is going to be strong enough in this harsh environment. After all, it is replacing concrete in most areas.  Did our predecessors know something we don’t know ?

Judging by how long the roads lasted that they built - probably knew a lot more