Promenade - Megathread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've explained this before Derek. From a friend working for a firm who is responsible for lots of services  , not Auldyn etc , while they had a concept plan from day one ie what the finished job would

It's not Harmer's direct fault. Nor any of those we elect. APART from not having the departmental and relevant experience and balls to stand up to and question the reams of bullshitters and chanc

But the problem isn't the horse trams.  It's the corporate culture of the Manx civil service.  Rather than accept the reality of what their main job is, which is maintain existing structures in the mo

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Apple said:

And tell your bank manager about the increases in salary to explain the new car and booking holidays etc. 

Waste a lot of time sitting on one's backside on a Tuesday (Weds and Theirs) etc to listen to prearranged speeches, previously agreed replies and rubber stamp decisions made the week before behind closed doors.

(If an MHK does not want to spend time answering or asking questions, just spin them out till 11 o'clock, turn them into written answers and the rest of the day is your own).

Tell constituents you cannot possibly reply to all the calls and emails due to being overwhelmed and can not chase lost causes as political colleagues will not support it.

When "working" in Douglas go shopping and see what bargains there are there, but don't mention the state of the place.

Other than that maybe someone could give us an example of a typical working week then ?

If you get elected 

4 hours ago, Peter Layman said:

If somebody fancies a career in politics then it is very easy to get started. Posts like the one above sound like it has come from an MHK trying to protect their seat.

Nope just someone who stood and lost in the past 

2 minutes ago, Maire said:

If you get elected 

1 minute ago, Maire said:

Nope just someone who stood and lost in the past 

A risk well worth it . We never seem to be too short of candidates, but just not the right ones it seems.

Don't recall where I heard/read it but I've always been of the opinion that wanting to be a politician should automatically exclude you from being one. Do it like jury service. You get a 4 year stint on a good salary and that's it. No return. Standard exclusions for armed forces, services, etc.

Never happen of course. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.    

• Like 1

Latest from Prom meeting minutes on iomtoday.

Nick Black "pursuing budget discrepancies". Hope he's got his fastest Nikes on.

Repairs to red concrete cracking not looking good, Auldyn's responsibility.

Curved walls built and then demolished by the Sefton not within acceptable tolerances, location-wise. Auldyn's responsibility.

Relaying of block work "not down to subsidence" but blocks to be relaid on different substrate. DOI responsibility.

Edited by Non-Believer
correction
18 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Relaying of block work "not down to subsidence" but blocks to be relaid on different substrate. Blocklaying contractor's responsibility.

DOI workforce did the bit at Senna Slip though AFAIK.

In that case the DOI will pay for it to be done again then, how is that at no cost to the taxpayer?

Edited by ellanvannin2010
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Relaying of block work "not down to subsidence" but blocks to be relaid on different substrate. Blocklaying contractor's responsibility.

i liked this one,   it wasn't subsidence,  if the foundations/substrate have moved and the blocks have moved that IS subsidence in  my books.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

In that case the DOI will pay for it to be done again then, how is that at no cost to the taxpayer?

It would cost us the same whether they were working there or on another DoI project goes the Government logic. However, when you don't have the resources and time to do that other project and get outside contactors in. Then that is an extra cost but it can't be attributed to the Promenade directly so hey presto problem solved. 🙈  

Edited by CallMeCurious
spelling
1 hour ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Your not supposed to notice that ! Yes I dont get it either as they say it often . We are paying twice for sure .

On 2/25/2021 at 9:11 PM, CallMeCurious said:

Don't recall where I heard/read it but I've always been of the opinion that wanting to be a politician should automatically exclude you from being one. Do it like jury service. You get a 4 year stint on a good salary and that's it. No return. Standard exclusions for armed forces, services, etc.

Never happen of course. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.    

Sortition. It has a lot going for it. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Latest from Prom meeting minutes on iomtoday.

Repairs to red concrete cracking not looking good, Auldyn's responsibility.

Anyone with any engineering understanding will know the red concrete has cracked because of bad design, not Auldyn.

Concrete shrinks as it "sets" or more correctly cures, this will always cause cracking unless the width of the poured bay is roughly equal to the length OR it is full of rebar/ mesh to stop the shrinkage.

On the prom design the bays of concrete were far far too long in comparison to their width AND there was no rebar/ mesh AND when they did put some rebar/ mesh in it is FAR FAR too light a gauge.

I am pretty sure casting it against a rail that expands at a different rate to the concrete will also not be good design but cant say for sure on that point.

ETA Auldyn have built some of the best engineering projects on the island, do you really think they have become incompetent just when this job started?

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Anyone with any engineering understanding will know the red concrete has cracked because of bad design, not Auldyn.

Concrete shrinks as it "sets" or more correctly cures, this will always cause cracking unless the width of the poured bay is roughly equal to the length OR it is full of rebar/ mesh to stop the shrinkage.

On the prom design the bays of concrete were far far too long in comparison to their width AND there was no rebar/ mesh AND when they did put some rebar/ mesh in to is FAR FAR to light a gauge.

I am pretty sure casting it against a rail that expands at a different rate to the concrete will also not be good design but cant say for sure on that point.

There did seems to be a fair bit of rebar going into the bays from what I saw, although I rarely go to Douglas and maybe it was just on a good day.

Your last point is a major problem in my view.

They also poured the concrete, and then smashed the roads out either side. Those big vibrations through still curing concrete will not have helped. At all.

There is a 6 or 8 inch thick concrete slab beneath the rails - that is there to take the weight of an electric tram. But I do not understand the need for red concrete as the top surface. Is there a technical reason for this - or is it just to make the road surface a different colour? If so, could they not just have laid tarmac and painted it red?