Jump to content

Promenade - Megathread


slinkydevil
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 4/29/2021 at 6:41 AM, asitis said:

Be interesting to know, how many millions the horse tram rails, and their various issues have cost during the prom fiasco, including delays and /or reconstruction.

£7.5m is the cost I've been told in terms of just construction. 

That doesn't account for the lost business of promenade traders due to delays, the cost of sitting at traffic lights, the delays to road and footway reconstruction.

 

They're hiding a massive amount of overspend on the scheme by having DOI crews do a lot of the work. DOI are currently working on Loch Prom and along the walkway on Central Prom. 

Auldyn appear to be confined to the Villa areas. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

£7.5m is the cost I've been told in terms of just construction. 

That doesn't account for the lost business of promenade traders due to delays, the cost of sitting at traffic lights, the delays to road and footway reconstruction.

 

They're hiding a massive amount of overspend on the scheme by having DOI crews do a lot of the work. DOI are currently working on Loch Prom and along the walkway on Central Prom. 

Auldyn appear to be confined to the Villa areas. 

Lots of JCK men down there too. Ie Villa area 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, asitis said:

I thought JCK were into demolition, hmmm maybe the right company to have on site.

They do earth movement and plant hire. I think that's all they do on the prom. The 360,'s have JCK in as they are probably on hire. 

Edited by Happier diner
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, asitis said:

I thought JCK were into demolition, hmmm maybe the right company to have on site.

No they have diversified over recent years and remember it was JCK who built Salisbury Street care home. And not a good job of it sadly. More recently any type of ground work , paviers and the likes. Definately a few gangs down there from JCK  Been around Sam Webbs area  mostly and yes as said above they have numerous plant down there too . But I have been talking to JCK guys working outside Rendevous area over the last couple of weeks as been working a bit on a property down there .    

Edited by Numbnuts
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even if the promenade was completely finished today, we would all think how it took far too long, and has contributed in killing a few Douglas businesses. So imagine what we'll be thinking, when it's nowhere near finished in a few more months. I walk along the prom every day, on my way to work, and back. It looks much worse than it all sounds, believe it or not, about three years (not sure, but who's still counting, both time and money?) after it all started.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

 if the promenade was completely finished today, we would all think there had been a bloody miracle!

Based on whats to be done on current works and the works delayed till after elections and the continuation  and finishing of the rail lines to Sea Terminal it wont be till this time next year if we are lucky . Including snagging the likes of the red concrete cracks which I'm not sure they know how to deal with . Its all really a complete cockup . But the incredible fact is no one is suprised with DOI involved . 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Including snagging the likes of the red concrete cracks which I'm not sure they know how to deal with

The DOI have been told but won't publicly acknowledge it. The whole lot has to come up and either be re-done or replaced with tarmac.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, majkul said:

I walk along the prom every day, on my way to work, and back. It looks much worse than it all sounds, believe it or not, about three years (not sure, but who's still counting, both time and money?) after it all started.

The part I feel most sorry for is Queens Prom from the Hydro back as there is no reason why that should still be such a mess as the tram lines are straight back to the Strathallan. It’s almost like they’re trying to get the business owners back for daring to complain last year. It’s two years and you’re still crossing a rickety temporary bridge to get a haircut or use a shop. It’s really a disgrace. After that it’s the Castlemona arcade which I’m amazed anyone can still trade from. Yet the heads of the DOI probably got paid right through lockdown while business owners must have been almost suicidal at the prospect of another year of this total disaster on top of being made to shut for lockdowns. 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...