Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

Be interesting to know, how many millions the horse tram rails, and their various issues have cost during the prom fiasco, including delays and /or reconstruction. Given that Tourism itself is a very small part of GDP, and the horse trams in real terms make an operating loss, there surely should have been a realistic adult debate about what could be done with them to retain their charm, ( personally I don't see it, I see it as an animal welfare issue in 2021, but everyone to their own ) and perhaps position them somewhere else where aficionados could still experience a short ride and get to meet the animals etc. To contribute to a civil engineering disaster in the way they have is beyond parody. Wildlife park, home of rest, there must be other locations where they could have been sited.

Edited by asitis
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, asitis said:

Be interesting to know, how many millions the horse tram rails, and their various issues have cost during the prom fiasco... 

They should have moved them lock stock and barrel up to Ramsey prom (and created a charitable trust for them and recruited volunteers). Encourage locals to invest in the pier and other ancillary business supporting both.

Would have solved all the problems associated with horse trams all at once...and tarted up Ramsey in the process.

I'll bet the true prom costs associated with the trams will be well upward of 20% of the total prom costs...given the hassle they have caused.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, asitis said:

Be interesting to know, how many millions the horse tram rails, and their various issues have cost during the prom fiasco, including delays and /or reconstruction. Given that Tourism itself is a very small part of GDP, and the horse trams in real terms make an operating loss, there surely should have been a realistic adult debate about what could be done with them to retain their charm, ( personally I don't see it, I see it as an animal welfare issue in 2021, but everyone to their own ) and perhaps position them somewhere else where aficionados could still experience a short ride and get to meet the animals etc. To contribute to a civil engineering disaster in the way they have is beyond parody. Wildlife park, home of rest, there must be other locations where they could have been sited.

Their ill conceived layout is to blame for the whole promenade design being a complete fiasco.

I suspect that several people interfered in the design process to try and push their own agenda leading to no singular clear cut design and still no clear outcome for the trams.

This is why we now have this complete cluster-f@*kery of a promenade.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

They should have moved them lock stock and barrel up to Ramsey prom (and created a charitable trust for them and recruited volunteers). Encourage locals to invest in the pier and other ancillary business supporting both.

Would have solved all the problems associated with horse trams all at once...and tarted up Ramsey in the process.

I'll bet the true prom costs associated with the trams will be well upward of 20% of the total prom costs...given the hassle they have caused.

They could have put them on the wide concrete walkway on the Ramsey North Promenade, that way they're away from the traffic and that walkway is easily wide enough to accommodate them and walkers/cyclists etc.

Plus, if they're that much of an attraction, it would have brought some tourist dollars up to Ramsey too. Stables could have been built for a fraction of what they've spent in Douglas.

But of course the Douglas Prom rail installation has an ulterior motive...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, Billy kettlefish said:

I did hear they are thinking of running the tram tracks in to the terminal at the back so it is safer for the horses on the change over. 

They'd still have to walk the horses to and from the stables

On 4/29/2021 at 6:41 AM, asitis said:

Be interesting to know, how many millions the horse tram rails, and their various issues have cost during the prom fiasco, including delays and /or reconstruction.

£7.5m is the cost I've been told in terms of just construction. 

That doesn't account for the lost business of promenade traders due to delays, the cost of sitting at traffic lights, the delays to road and footway reconstruction.

They're hiding a massive amount of overspend on the scheme by having DOI crews do a lot of the work. DOI are currently working on Loch Prom and along the walkway on Central Prom. 

Auldyn appear to be confined to the Villa areas. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

£7.5m is the cost I've been told in terms of just construction. 

That doesn't account for the lost business of promenade traders due to delays, the cost of sitting at traffic lights, the delays to road and footway reconstruction.

They're hiding a massive amount of overspend on the scheme by having DOI crews do a lot of the work. DOI are currently working on Loch Prom and along the walkway on Central Prom. 

Auldyn appear to be confined to the Villa areas. 

Lots of JCK men down there too. Ie Villa area