Jump to content

Promenade - Megathread


slinkydevil
 Share

Recommended Posts

I see that RTC have now deferred negotiations on proposed redevelopment of Ramsey harbour quays. @Rhumsaaquoted as "having no faith in DOI to deliver" and quite understandable too.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

They did this in Port Erin also. Its very odd. There's a crossing that is definitely a crossing and a crossing that might be a crossing but isnt marked as one that everyone uses as a crossing as it is in a better place than the signed crossing, about 20m apart if that.

 

The stripey one on the prom looks like it has had too many boil washes.  Then the one outside Admiral House is just a dull colour.  So not sure which one is a crossing and what purpose the other one serves.

The problem is the prom is a major vehicular route, it isn't a lightly used road from which traffic will easily go elsewhere leaving it to users of necessity and pedestrians. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What springs to mind here is the old adage that a camel is a horse designed by a committee.

It's like there's been a whole host of disparate ideas lumped together in the Prom with no regard to standing regulations and the only priority was to include as many of those ideas as possible regardless of what the overall outcome was going to be?

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Gladys said:

The stripey one on the prom looks like it has had too many boil washes.  Then the one outside Admiral House is just a dull colour.  So not sure which one is a crossing and what purpose the other one serves.

The one outside Admiral House is an unmanaged crossing. It’s all part of the ‘shared space’ idea. The managed crossing have pedestrian controlled lights or Belisha Beacons. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

Brick paving is a "flexible" surface BUT it is super strong if laid correctly. Most shipping container handling docks have it for that quality.

It can be laid over hardcore, concrete, tarmac or any other strong foundation as long as there is a even 2" of compacted sand between it and the sub base/  foundation .

This looks like it was laid directly on the concrete which is very wrong.

 

 

Here’s a close up of it: 

92B41D94-BEA1-4EC1-AAB4-8D6CDB8B650D.jpeg

5FC7824D-FB00-4A62-960B-0285B05DDC77.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, kevster said:

The one outside Admiral House is an unmanaged crossing. It’s all part of the ‘shared space’ idea. The managed crossing have pedestrian controlled lights or Belisha Beacons. 

If it is shared space then why do you need managed crossings?.

 It’s shared space where nothing has priority I would have thought.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Here’s a close up of it: 

92B41D94-BEA1-4EC1-AAB4-8D6CDB8B650D.jpeg

5FC7824D-FB00-4A62-960B-0285B05DDC77.jpeg

Concrete base is fine but that looks like cement bound sand or even mortar the bricks are laid on which is wrong. It does explain the tinkling sound they made when cars drover over them though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Derek hit the nail on the head when he said shared spaces are fine in the right setting, on a main route to work is not one.

 

 

Ever been to Bergerac? Main road is a shared space right through the centre. Those French are very clever with things like that though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Two lots of Strategic Board minutes have been added to the website for April and May.

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/myprom.im/21-05-07-signed-douglas-promenade-project-board-minutes_redacted.pdf

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/myprom.im/21-04-09-signed-douglas-promenade-project-board-minutes_redacted.pdf

A few highlights:-

  • The target date for completion is 28/8, but Black insists it should be 26/8 ahead of the bank holiday weekend.
  • They still don't have an acceptable solution to the cracked concrete.
  • Siemens have given up trying to design a traffic light solution for the trams.
  • There was nothing wrong with the rail lines that were ripped up - the problem was with the welding.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Nellie said:

Two lots of Strategic Board minutes have been added to the website for April and May.

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/myprom.im/21-05-07-signed-douglas-promenade-project-board-minutes_redacted.pdf

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/myprom.im/21-04-09-signed-douglas-promenade-project-board-minutes_redacted.pdf

A few highlights:-

  • The target date for completion is 28/8, but Black insists it should be 26/8 ahead of the bank holiday weekend.
  • They still don't have an acceptable solution to the cracked concrete.
  • Siemens have given up trying to design a traffic light solution for the trams.
  • There was nothing wrong with the rail lines that were ripped up - the problem was with the welding.

 

 

What is the "Bus stops being extended" all about? The bump outs looked finished last time I saw them?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

What is the "Bus stops being extended" all about? The bump outs looked finished last time I saw them?

These minutes are produced April and May and represent months before that I'd say . Interestingly there not optimistic for finishing on August 28th and I would agree they have no chance. Nothing much flagged up on quality of work either which worries me as in many areas not addressed its terrible. 

Edited by Numbnuts
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...