Jump to content

Promenade - Megathread


slinkydevil
 Share

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

There was never a plan for a single track along the whole length of the prom. One of the biggest issue is that there has never been a plan for anything other than a double track from Broadway to Summerhill - the narrowest part of the road where all the tailbacks are. In fact in their ultimate wisdom they have made the tramway even wider on this section of the prom.

This is one of the most frustrating things about this. It's been 'designed' to be more inconvenient that then Victorian layout it replaces.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This weeks Tynwald questions seem to be delayed, perhaps to enable Mr Baker to have more time to gather the details of the latest news regarding the Promenade. He is bound to be asked about it in this administration's last Tynwald. I would imagine there are a record number of questions (or there about) being tabled. 

Given the items on the Order paper it looks as if there are also some other questions I gather that are being considered that may be a little bit more difficult or sensitive but how they are going to be dealt with and who by that may prove to be a little more challenging. 

I expect there will be a little bit of headline grabbing and outright political showmanship on display by some (it is a pity they don't televise Tynwald ) and of course changes to personnel to announce / consider as well.

And that's all before details of whatever they have decided with regard to Covid - updated travel information, child bubbles in schools and the number of cases / vaccinations etc.

And the Bee Gees of course. 

Edited by Apple
child bubbles corrected from child bibles
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Apple said:

This weeks Tynwald questions seem to be delayed, perhaps to enable Mr Baker to have more time to gather the details of the latest news regarding the Promenade. He is bound to be asked about it in this administration's last Tynwald. I would imagine there are a record number of questions (or there about) being tabled. 

Given the items on the Order paper it looks as if there are also some other questions I gather that are being considered that may be a little bit more difficult or sensitive but how they are going to be dealt with and who by that may prove to be a little more challenging. 

I expect there will be a little bit of headline grabbing and outright political showmanship on display by some (it is a pity they don't televise Tynwald ) and of course changes to personnel to announce / consider as well.

And that's all before details of whatever they have decided with regard to Covid - updated travel information, child bibles in schools and the number of cases / vaccinations etc.

And the Bee Gees of course. 

Question papers don't come out till the Thursday before sitting. So no delay. It would be difficult to beat the question papers caused by Peter Karran and his ilk.

They shouldn't ask questions on the  Bee Gees as it is Douglas Borough Council but Moorhouse asked one on the prom street furniture which is DBC.

As for televising, if you have ever popped in to watch a sitting then I would not recommend it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, b4mbi said:

Murray Lambden made the most noise against the most sensible option once decision was made to keep the horse trams.

Seems trams in busy centre of Manchester can work without miaming and injuring thousands every day, but couldn't possibly live with that risk on the prom walkway. Grrr.

They have ultimately installed something that is intrinsically unsafe by copying what was there, when the opportunity existed to do something new that prevented passengers having to board and alight into a live lane of traffic.

not that you will actually be able to pass on Queens Prom. They’ve widened the track separation to the extent that they will either have to lose the key side parking or folk will have to sit behind the tram. Buses certainly will.

which also begs the question why you have two modes of public transport plying the same route?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Question papers don't come out till the Thursday before sitting. So no delay.

Correct - apologies. I was told they have to be in by lunchtime today so it looks like a packed Tynwald question paper well.

Yes, I have been in to watch and it is darned uncomfortable on those benches, the acoustics are poor, the heating struggles at times in winter and it would get the members off their iPads (probably not). 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

They have ultimately installed something that is intrinsically unsafe by copying what was there, when the opportunity existed to do something new that prevented passengers having to board and alight into a live lane of traffic.

not that you will actually be able to pass on Queens Prom. They’ve widened the track separation to the extent that they will either have to lose the key side parking or folk will have to sit behind the tram. Buses certainly will.

which also begs the question why you have two modes of public transport plying the same route?

80% plus of drivers I used to see on the prom could not pass the horse cars before and agree there will be no chance now. Stupid design of the whole prom though, single track along seaside of road would have been adequate.

Many places in the world have two modes of transport on same route, you need to get out of your estate and visit Blackpool:D

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, MadAsHell said:

This is one of the most frustrating things about this. It's been 'designed' to be more inconvenient that then Victorian layout it replaces.

The whole redevelopment (narrowing, less parking, keeping / widening the horse/electric tram tracks, roundels, shared space etc) IMHO is one massive traffic calming exercise, reducing vehicular speeds on the prom. 

(but OK they've taken the chance to update/upgrade all services to properties on the prom)

 

 

Edited by b4mbi
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On more than a few occasions if I couldn’t undertake the horse tram, I would overtake instead, far to many people are happy to sit behind the tram seemingly oblivious to the growing number of vehicles behind them.

Undertaking you’ve got to be careful of the tram stopping/passengers disembarking, quite a few narrow points were there isn’t much clearance, certainly not the doors width you are supposed to allow parked vehicles.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

They have ultimately installed something that is intrinsically unsafe by copying what was there, when the opportunity existed to do something new that prevented passengers having to board and alight into a live lane of traffic.

 

Yes, because loads of people have died due to this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

The whole redevelopment (narrowing, less parking, keeping / widening the horse/electric tram tracks, roundels, shared space etc) IMHO is one massive traffic calming exercise, reducing vehicular speeds on the prom. 

(but OK they've taken the chance to update/upgrade all services to properties on the prom)

 

 

And probably rightly so.

The future is getting traffic off the prom and people out of cars in general.  It's completely logical.

They just also need to ramp up parking charges and increase public transport options.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

On more than a few occasions if I couldn’t undertake the horse tram, I would overtake instead, far to many people are happy to sit behind the tram seemingly oblivious to the growing number of vehicles behind them.

So it's you, is it? Does it really cause too much of a delay? Have you not read the Highway Code?

301 Always give way to trams, particularly when turning across the tracks. Overtake only on the left of a tram. If driving a large or heavy vehicle, do not follow too closely to a tram.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

And probably rightly so.

The future is getting traffic off the prom and people out of cars in general.  It's completely logical.

They just also need to ramp up parking charges and increase public transport options.

More nails in the coffin of Douglas then. 
I for one avoid the place like the plague already. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...