Jump to content

Promenade - Megathread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've explained this before Derek. From a friend working for a firm who is responsible for lots of services  , not Auldyn etc , while they had a concept plan from day one ie what the finished job would

It's not Harmer's direct fault. Nor any of those we elect. APART from not having the departmental and relevant experience and balls to stand up to and question the reams of bullshitters and chanc

But the problem isn't the horse trams.  It's the corporate culture of the Manx civil service.  Rather than accept the reality of what their main job is, which is maintain existing structures in the mo

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Seems to me the voids that need filling are between MHK's ears....

In too many cases that volume of required infill doesn't exist..

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

.

What was it that Phil Gawne told Tynwald in the belief that the mics were switched off..? "The only thing the public need to do is stop complaining and pay for it"..?

Sums it up succinctly.

Yep, that's about right. 

I would happily pay my Manx Radio contribuition just for those golden two minutes.

And then up in the Legislative Council Bash the Bishop, Corkish and a couple of other contemptibles were huddled in a group bullying and complaining about Peter Karran's speeches. The feckers needed to wise up, those of  them who had ever been elected at all need to realise that Peter Karran always got far in excess of the amount of votes than any of them could ever hope to achieve. He represents a constituency and topped the poll many times.

But I digress. The Phil Gawne comments from downstairs in the Keys were priceless, but his contempt was for the public directly rather than through Peter Karran. 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Poor Little Alfie is adding his two pennerth in - this sounds like a huge layer of bureaucracy, or capital project by committee. Can you imagine how long and how much more, even more it’s going to cost us for the new Steam Packet Terminal at Liverpool? Bear in mind it’s not allowing freight! Alf get a grip or ship out. More Civil Servants, more expenses and zero accountability.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/treasury-calls-for-a-central-projects-unit-on-prom-refurbishment/

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2019 at 11:00 PM, Non-Believer said:

It hasn't. And DOI Project Manager Keith Podmore has publicly stated that no such voids have been found either by survey or works to date.

Sorry to keep banging on about this, but if the project was budgeted to deal with such major grief and that grief now turns out to be non-existent then any end of project back slapping about coming in under budget is hollow (no pun intended). It needs to be looked at and adjusted accordingly. Before we end up with gold-plated lamp posts in order to use the funds up.

They're doing a 12" deep skim when all, including Tynwald, were told that it required metres deep reconstruction.

What was it that Phil Gawne told Tynwald in the belief that the mics were switched off..? "The only thing the public need to do is stop complaining and pay for it"..?

Sums it up succinctly.

If they went any deeper they would probably hit solid rock! Not huge voids! Although aren’t there some voids around Loch prom to allow water to drain/flow away which were put there by design?

 

Edited by Oh Mona
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Oh Mona said:

If they went any deeper they would probably hit solid rock! Not huge voids! Although aren’t there some voids around Loch prom to allow water to drain/flow away which were put there by design?

 

No. The prom is all built on reclaimed sandy beach.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2019 at 11:00 PM, Non-Believer said:

 Sorry to keep banging on about this, but if the project was budgeted to deal with such major grief and that grief now turns out to be non-existent then any end of project back slapping about coming in under budget is hollow (no pun intended). It needs to be looked at and adjusted accordingly. Before we end up with gold-plated lamp posts in order to use the funds up.

They're doing a 12" deep skim when all, including Tynwald, were told that it required metres deep reconstruction.

 

Totally agree. The impression was given that if this work was not done, the prom was in imminent danger of collapse on any stormy night and Douglas would fall into the sea. The sceptics were told that the experts know best. Well, don't they always? Questions should certainly be asked about this. However, I predict that they won't have any problem at all in making the funds disappear.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, woolley said:

Totally agree. The impression was given that if this work was not done, the prom was in imminent danger of collapse on any stormy night and Douglas would fall into the sea. The sceptics were told that the experts know best. Well, don't they always? Questions should certainly be asked about this. However, I predict that they won't have any problem at all in making the funds disappear.

the number of consultants  retired senior and very senior CS coming in to fix the mess, i tend to agree with you. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Max Power said:

Well I think they are doing quite well and making good progress, there I've said it!

Even without the help of all the experienced civil engineers on here. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic Gov money spinner on Faceache rant page.  Residents legally parking on prom, then Gov workers putting out cones late in evening or early morning round parked cars for the traffic warden to put an illegal parking fine on car.  Brilliant scheme really. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Max Power said:

Well I think they are doing quite well and making good progress, there I've said it!

FFS - how can an over budget delayed Govt project be going "quite well"......

Similar mindset Max to only 3 TT week deaths being a good result. 

Edited by Mr Helmut Fromage
Govt Shill
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

FFS - how can an over budget delayed Govt project be going "quite well"......

Similar mindset Max to only 3 TT week deaths being a good result. 

To be fair 3 deaths is not that bad, they all love the opportunity and we allow them to die with such honour and respect, totally worth it to get some drone clips of Niarbyl in to almost prime time on sub channel telly.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2019 at 9:30 PM, NoTail said:

Genuine question 

There are 2 or 3 large contractors doing the work. All well established and respected.  Do the issues lie with them or someone higher up?

We need to employ highly paid consultants, to advise us ( the general public / buisnesess on the prom )  of the implications of the  DOI schemes that are currently in the pipeline / or are curretly on-going.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • slinkydevil changed the title to Promenade - Megathread

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...