Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

2 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Guessing because they have pinched some of the road for between the tram tracks and not enough left for a decent traffic flow if they made the parking bay wider. Your right its to narrow . Wing mirror heaven ! . 

I think some people pointed out months ago that this was bound to happen.  It's all because of Longworth's electric tram fantasies of course (despite them being explicitly ruled out).  Manx Forums gets accused of always seeing the worst of things and foretelling doom, but it's depressing just how much that has gone wrong on this project was so easily predicted.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

I wonder if people who cannot park within the new parking lines (which are pretty narrow) are going to be booked when the promenade is finished. 

Vast majority I saw today cannot park within the markings by virtue of either poor driving ability or cars that are too wide. 

Why have the width so narrow?

IMG_20210914_172719.jpg

IMG_20210914_155703.jpg

Because they are idiots. I seem to remember they specified it as something like 1.85m or 1.95m wide. The average car width in the UK is 1821mm in width. 

Whilst they were building the bays too narrow they also pinched some more of the road for cars. All this on the narrowest stretch of the prom where there were already issues with poor parking meaning people couldn't get passed the horse trams. 

If they aren't idiots then god knows what they are.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Vast majority I saw today cannot park within the markings by virtue of either poor driving ability or cars that are too wide. 

Why have the width so narrow?.

IMG_20210914_172719.jpg

All of those would be a driving test pass, infact the one closest to the kerb would most likely have been told to park further away in future to allow themselves more room for error when manoeuvring, you don’t get any extra points for getting any closer as my instructor used to say to me.

• Like 2