Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Not saying I agree, but can't understand all this whinging about legality and conformity when it was clearly never meant to be so 

Because people are being paid big money to design something that is seemingly inherently unsafe. 

Where's the official confirmation that it's shared space? 

Even the idea of shared space has been binned off in the UK for being unsafe. 

https://roadsafetygb.org.uk/news/prime-minister-urged-to-get-shared-space-gone/

The UK Government was recommending a moratorium on all new shared space schemes in 2017, meanwhile the crayonistas were busy ploughing on regardless! 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dptacs-position-on-shared-space/dptac-position-on-shared-space

First job for the next DOI Minister is to urgently review the status of the Prom and clarify what this cock up actually is.

Edited by AlanShimmin

Perhaps Stu could ask in Tynwald 

Is the promenade a shared space where the highway code no longer applies and cars, pedestrians, cyclists have equal rights to behave as they feel fit? 

Or

Is the promenade a public highway where the highway code does apply?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

If it is not a zebra crossing then the surface should not look anything like a zebra crossing though. That just leads to confusion and danger .

Hear, hear. The DOI will doubtless eventually modify them to something much clearer, like the crossing on the Curragh Rd before The Hope. That worked well too...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gladys said:

The other problem, which will hopefully be sorted when the works are finished, is that some of the crossings lead straight from the fences which obscure people intending to cross.

Some, not all, have been deliberately fenced off and hopefully marked as not in use. It took them about a week to work out that having a pedestrian crossing right by traffic lights controlling a single file stretch of road wasn't the best idea as cars on green had to stop for pedestrians. 

1 hour ago, NoTail said:

Is the promenade a shared space where the highway code no longer applies and cars, pedestrians, cyclists have equal rights to behave as they feel fit? 

Or

Might he be asking himself those questions as DOI Minister?

4 hours ago, NoTail said:

Or

But don't cars, pedestrians and cyclists already have equal rights on the highway. Or are you one of those many that think cars have greater rights.

I got my first beeping on the Sefton roundel yesterday.

Heading North along the prom and some clown coming from Summerland end towards Crellins hill indicating right pulled straight across in front of me leant on his horn and had a bit of an episode.

If I had had time I would have followed him and pointed out the error of his ways.

• Haha 1