Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

Promenade - Megathread

Recommended Posts

On 8/9/2019 at 7:37 PM, Ham_N_Eggs said:

... or was Harmer not being honest with them?

Whenever he is interviewed or speaks in Tynwald, Harmer sounds so utterly inarticulate, lacking in knowledge, halting and uninformed, that I suspect he has not been dishonest with COMIN, but is simply incapable of providing a cogent report on progress. I am quite genuinely at a loss to understand how he gained an engineering degree from Cambridge. Perhaps he’s suffered some form of brain injury subsequently. It sounds like it. 

Edited by Uhtred
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

I am quite genuinely at a loss to understand how he gained an engineering degree from Cambridge.

I still have my certificate from Oxford, British Leyland vehicle electrical systems. Oh those dreaming spires ;) 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I still have my certificate from Oxford, British Leyland vehicle electrical systems. Oh those dreaming spires ;) 

Lucas, the Prince of darkness!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Whenever he is interviewed or speaks in Tynwald, Harmer sounds so utterly inarticulate, lacking in knowledge, halting and uniformed, that I suspect he has not been dishonest with COMIN, but is simply incapable of providing a cogent report on progress. I am quite genuinely at a loss to understand how he gained an engineering degree from Cambridge. Perhaps he’s suffered some form of brain injury subsequently. It sounds like it. 

did he have his arse kicked ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Whenever he is interviewed or speaks in Tynwald, Harmer sounds so utterly inarticulate, lacking in knowledge, halting and uniformed, that I suspect he has not been dishonest with COMIN, but is simply incapable of providing a cogent report on progress. I am quite genuinely at a loss to understand how he gained an engineering degree from Cambridge. Perhaps he’s suffered some form of brain injury subsequently. It sounds like it. 

Cambridge Massachusetts. I have a couple of first class degrees from there myself, the latest being in astrophysics. Piece of piss most people take a week, did mine in a day and a half.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Cambridge Massachusetts. I have a couple of first class degrees from there myself, the latest being in astrophysics. Piece of piss most people take a week, did mine in a day and a half.

 

2 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Cambridge Massachusetts. I have a couple of first class degrees from there myself, the latest being in astrophysics. Piece of piss most people take a week, did mine in a day and a half.

You sound like a candidate for the noble prize

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

Cambridge Massachusetts. I have a couple of first class degrees from there myself, the latest being in astrophysics. Piece of piss most people take a week, did mine in a day and a half.

Was Paul’s Got Wright on the same course? (Harvard is of course in Cambridge Mass.).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2019 at 6:04 PM, Roger Mexico said:

Meanwhile there's another FoI request that the DoI has answered very speedily today:

Which is obviously the closest we are going to get to some sort of explanation.

Not much chance of them recovering the 20%. Behind schedule as autumn and winter flies in...    imagine that! A big projects unit, all those engineers as public servants plus the paid specialists brought in. Years of planning and they were surprised to find services under the promenade 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harmer actually dropped himself in it in the same interview people are referring too above. Yes he said they had encountered lots of unknown services and then a paragraph below said they had found there wasn't a problem with voids and it was just a concrete base below the road that had broken and cracked and all was good so they didn't have to dig down so far .. Swings and roundabouts it should be but I bet the contractor gets paid extra

Edited by Numbnuts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Harmer actually dropped himself in it in the same interview people are referring too above. Yes he said they had encountered lots of unknown services and then a paragraph below said they had found there wasn't a problem with voids and it was just a concrete base below the road that had broken and cracked and all was good so they didn't have to dig down so far .. Swings and roundabouts it should be but I bet the contractor gets paid extra

Naaa. I would put Harmer in charge if either swings or roundabouts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't see the issue. I think they're all doing a cracking job on the Promenade! 

 

This new fangled concrete is a fairly new invention, 3rd century BC? And what did the Romans ever do for us? 

Tarmac seems to have been ok around the train tracks for 80 odd years, I wonder why they decided it must be concrete now, to help the nags dragging the empty trams up and down the Prom?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

I can't see the issue. I think they're all doing a cracking job on the Promenade! 

 

This new fangled concrete is a fairly new invention, 3rd century BC? And what did the Romans ever do for us? 

Tarmac seems to have been ok around the train tracks for 80 odd years, I wonder why they decided it must be concrete now, to help the nags dragging the empty trams up and down the Prom?

Concrete is on the edges, the bit between the tracks where the horses walk is tarmac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...